New 03 owner

MP3DG

:
03 mazdaspeed Protege
Hello guys names Donny, just purchased my 03 speed protege. I've been a huge fans of mazdas since I've gotten into cars. I had a ZE swapped mx3, slammed 99 miata, had a 06 mazda3 but owned it for only 2 months due to the dealership messing up which now lead me to buy a protege. He car looks sexy it has 90k on the clock stock from what I saw...one rust spot on the wheel well and well that's it! I pick it up tomorrow and I absolutely can't wait!!
Dealer Photos
1DE67132-A5F3-4DB1-A9E5-A5984ED484DB-791-0000003B98356547_zps4be86110.jpg

6AAFED04-AA64-4BA5-8E23-3F516AB2809C-791-0000003B99146F7A_zps13830c4c.jpg

9972F39B-01E5-416B-A1E3-AC0005E34A06-791-0000003B989EEB42_zps168cec0b.jpg

1CE814A8-4D20-4999-9C02-69C622C950EE-791-0000003B9A0CBE27_zps4add5205.jpg

Looking forward to learning a bit more about these cars!

Nice looking Titanium. Hope the car is eaten up with cancer. I am also a fan of Mazdas (see sig). The MSP is a love/hate relationship with me, but I'm hard on it. 4 engines last year before going forged.

Thanks thanks I looked briefly under it to see and I didn't really see any rust but ill wait till I get it up in the air to judge that..that's one thing I read, do not up the boost until engine is built. Bolt ons will be all until I can source another engine to rebuild, which might be soon since I'm in my engine rebuilding program in school! Looks like you have a nice garage as well...love the items on your build for the protege !

First modification for an MSP whether it's stock or otherwise: SSAFC and wideband.

o nice another wisconsin member i cant seem to find anyone in the wisconsin area thats into these cars (bj's that is)

Waukesha ha that's where I will be heading tomorrow to return my mazda3, I bought it from griffin ford after getting pulled over 4 times for not being registered just to have the dealership tell me it can't be registered 2 months later the car is going back, found my speed p at a dealership in Schaumburg il....sure the luck I'm having I just sold my brand new Wideband....looks like ill search for another

thanks for the welcome! Just out of curiosity are these the same motors that were in the ford probe 4cyl? if so are the trannies the same? Ill have a spare granted I don't think the probe 4cyl came with an lsd

Welcome aboard! Hopefully you'll join us at Road America for Grand-Am/ALMS Mazda Corral.

Yea I was on pt I was big into probes, my username was donnyg20. I bet your name is josh haha

When is that I would def like to come. I went to road America last year for some super bike races...would love to be there again!!

damn that's the worst place to have a rust spot...

my MP3 had it in the same exact spot, and it got worse every day in the winter (PA sucks)... eventually i had it cut out/fixed but it ended up costing me like $500 after paint.

Yup mine is all the way through,ill get it fixed within the next few months, other issues I found out, valve cover leaking bad...turbo leaking a little bit at the oil feed line, needs new rear struts (help on oem replace would be awesome), weird symptoms, the shifter takes some muscle to shift it, it goes Into gear fine but feels a little hard. Also when braking or accelerating hard the shifter moves. Stays in gear but moves

Last edited:
shifter moving prolly has to do with bad engine mounts, and "taking the shifter with it" when the engine is moving

i would bet that the trans issue is possably a failing lsd/trans (dontquote me on that)

ive got kyb gr-2 struts with megan springs (so does my brother) and it rides awsome!

Alright we'll new valve cover gasket is ordered along with kybs, just waiting to see if my motor mount(s) are bad on my day off.

its a shame someone actually put the License plate bracket on the front and not need it. looks so much better without anything there.

Back