Need Sub/Amp Selection Help.

Well, I've finally got the $$ to buy myself a system. I've read around, especially the $1000 setup thread, and have decided I want something with excellent SQ.

Talking with my boss, a former Mobile Install Tech at Best Buy, he's said to go with the following so far:

Front: Infinity Perfect 5.1 5-1/4" Component System $399.99
In Dash: Clarion SRK5 1/2-DIN Center Channel Speaker $159.99
Back: Infinity Kappa 63.5i 6-1/2" 3-way Speakers $199.99

We were cut-off before we had the chance to discuss powering the system (as in amps, capacitors, etc.), subs, EQ's, and X-Overs.

I intend on going with a custom enclosure for the sub on the passenger side of my P5. I'm can't sacrifice the space.

All cables will be Monster Car Audio Cable.

Can anyone offer Pro's or Con's of this set up so far, and any suggestions?

why a center channel speaker?

Choose speakers by listening to them. Not by other people suggestions.

I would look into JL amps

Unless you MUST have a 5.1 setup or you just have HORRIBLE imaging in your car I think a center channel is a waste. Someone here my prove me wrong but that is just my .02.

The last amps I had in a car were Soundstream and I loved them. Outperformed my more costly Xtant.

1st MP3 in NH said:
why a center channel speaker?

Choose speakers by listening to them. Not by other people suggestions.

I would look into JL amps

lol, especially when they are from former best buy installers:rolleyes: their scope of knowledge is so limited to crappy equipment they carry:p

for the money listed so far, you can do WAY better;) you need to go out and audition speakers to see what you like. infinity is a bit overrated, but they are still good speakers. but if SQ is your goal, a 3-way component set for up front would be a wise idea. put the mid-bass in the door, and the mid range and tweeter in some kickpanels. and give them plenty of power. also don't worry about nice speakers for the rear. if you've got the money, i would highly suggest getting a DQX from audio control. you'll get a 30 band eq and x-over in one digital unit.
http://www.audiocontrol.com/MobileAudio/Products/Digital/DQX.html

^^Listening to advice from someone who owns Adire Audio is ALWAYS a good idea. GREAT STUFF!

chino said:
^^Listening to advice from someone who owns Adire Audio is ALWAYS a good idea. GREAT STUFF!

lol, i've talked to a few owners of adire online that are complete idiots and bought it cause of the name, but yeah, most do know their s***:D course i'm starting to dislike adire:( not for their equipment or performance, but because of their warranty service:mad: it's been almost a month since they recieved my brahma 10 so they can reglue the spider, and i have yet to hear anything. i've e-mailed twice, and called, but got no answer on either:wtf: oh well. note, i'm not thread jacking, so i'll get back on topic:D

zombiefreak, what's your budget for equipment? are their any brands that you won't use? any prefered brands? why the monster cable? do you mind purchasing online? do you mind purchasing brands you've never heard of?

got wake? said:
lol, i've talked to a few owners of adire online that are complete idiots and bought it cause of the name, but yeah, most do know their s***:D course i'm starting to dislike adire:( not for their equipment or performance, but because of their warranty service:mad: it's been almost a month since they recieved my brahma 10 so they can reglue the spider, and i have yet to hear anything. i've e-mailed twice, and called, but got no answer on either:wtf: oh well. note, i'm not thread jacking, so i'll get back on topic:D

zombiefreak, what's your budget for equipment? are their any brands that you won't use? any prefered brands? why the monster cable? do you mind purchasing online? do you mind purchasing brands you've never heard of?

Just gave a young lad that came in with a blown 12W3 a brand new one in 5 minutes today. :p

1st MP3 in NH said:
Just gave a young lad that came in with a blown 12W3 a brand new one in 5 minutes today. :p

(bang) thanks, i needed the salt in the wound:D one of the guys on my forum sent back a sub to ED, and got a new one in like a week;) i think adire is disecting my brahma, cause they can tell it "shouldn't" be covered under warranty:p the clauses for "abuse", SPL comps, etc were all broken by me:D and the glue coming out of the vent is another sign of excessive heat from being over powered along with the spider coming unglued:rolleyes:

got wake? said:

I'm not really on a small budget here. This is my christmas present to me, with a little help from the girlfriend. My boss no longers works for Best Buy and now owns his own shop. I heard the Infinity stuff he had on display and was looking into getting things online. There aren't actually any brands I wouldn't use and I'm completely open to new brands. I use Monster Cable on all my home theater stuff, so naturally I would trust the brand, but again, I'm open to new brands.

Thanks for all the posts you guys. I'm really appreciative of the feedback.

I'm researching your responses as we speak.

1st MP3 in NH said:
the warrenty is void if you compete?

yep:( since they are not designed as SPL subs, if they can prove that i've competed, then i'm SOL:( good thing i'm not a competing member of any organization;)

zombiefreak, first off, for wiring, check out www.knukonceptz.com
i've purchased through them 3 times now, and always recieved excellent service on great products at awesome prices;) the only negative thing i've heard about them is that their battery terminals will strip out if you crank the set screw down too hard. other than that, i've used everything from connectors, dist blocks, power wire, rca's, etc, and it was all very high quality. while monster cable is excellent stuff, i can't justify spending more on the same or less:p monster cable does not publish how many strands are in each cable, though:
http://www.monstercable.com/caraudio1/productPageCar.asp?pin=486
however street wires only has 4256 strands for their 1/0 cable:
http://www.streetwires.com/products/powerCables/index.cfm
but knukonceptz has 5145 strands per 1/0 cable:
http://www.knukonceptz.com/detail.asp?product_id=KOL10RS
this is definitely one case where more is better;)

secondly, for subs, you've got a few different options. since you are going for SQ, you'll want a sub with high excursion to belt out the low notes;) for that, i would suggest JL audio W7, if brand is more important than saving money. or a brahma from adire audio, A-series from elemental designs, or a XXX from resonant engineering:
brahma
A-series
XXX
it's very rare to have a problem with any of those subs. don't take my experience with adire audio as a bad thing. i'm trying to get them to cover my sub under warranty, when it shouldn't be;) you'll want at least 1200 watts for the brahma or XXX, but with a W7 or A-series, 800 to 1200 would be fine. in comparisons between a brahma and W7, up to 1200 watts the W7 is better than the brahma. after that, the brahma takes the lead, as it is more of a power hungry sub. either way, you'll want adequite power, especially since you're going to use a sealed enclosure;)

thirdly, as far as amps are concerned, a watt is a watt. you just need to stay away from the cheap crap, but there is no reason to spend thousands on brax or zapco equipment;) TRU amps are getting great reviews, as they are high quality hand built amps, but they are rather pricey. JL amps are always a good suggestion, as they have great features, but be sure you have a good power supply for them, since they are power hungry amps. avionixx puts out great amps for a great price.
http://www.avionixxusa.com/
you can also check out www.thezeb.com www.onlinecarstereo.com www.sounddomain.com www.purecaraudio.com

for front components, you'll want try listen to as many different sets as possible, since each person has their own preference for sound.
http://www.purecaraudio.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=209
check out alpine typeX, CDT, diamond audio, boston acoustics, focal, JL, MB quart, etc.

1st MP3 in NH said:
The W7 keeps its warrenty if you compete :p

they don't say exactly that they won't cover it if you compete, but they have clauses to their warranty also;) this is taken directly from their site:

4. Speaker product that has been over-powered, causing thermal (burnt voice coil) and/or mechanical failure (ripped surrounds or spiders). Please review our amplifier power recommendations before you buy.
yeah, i was running almost 50% more power than recomended.

5. Product that has not been installed according to the instructions in the owners manual
um, yeah i bet they have an SPL enclosure in their owner's manual:p

JL Audio products are warrantied against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of Ninety (90) Days from the original date of purchase.
at least i still get 3 years even when i installed it myself;)

Warranty coverage is extended if the product is installed by an Authorized JL Audio Dealer OR the system design and installation integrity are evaluated and approved by an Authorized JL Audio Dealer (in writing on the original sales receipt).
so pay more for installation, or go through the pain in the ass of getting it "approved":rolleyes:

adire audio has to prove that i competed to use that against me. but they can probably tell from the VC and separated spider that i violated #4 and 5 from JL's exclusions;)

I have posted this alot today. I have listened to alot of speakers, well cause that is what I like to do.

I really like the JLW6.V2 subs. I really like the JLXR 6.5 components. I only run front speakers and a sub. I personally picked the focal utopia 6.5's for the front. They sounded cleaned and the sound did not change with high volumes. I have not let one person listen to my speakers that did not love them. They are really expensive though. my choice for the budget would be teh JL XR's. I like JL amps. There power is under-rated. they always have more power than they say. and they sound good. I also like the elemental designs A series subs. If I had to buy another sub it woudl be a tuff choice between the edesign or the JL.

but the best way is to listen to some speakers. It is better to listen in a car though. NOT a shop. Listen to the music that you like. and make a choice for your self. Not what we say. good luck. It took me about 3 months to pick out my stuff.

Back