Need some Help?!?! Remote Key Fob

ste6168

Hey guys (and gals). My girlfriend bought (before we started dating) a 2008 Mazda 3 in a repo style auction. She got a good deal on it, but it did not come with a few things (floor mats, factory wheels, key fobs... to name a few). Anyway, she always complains (or mentions really) about not having a key fob to lock/unlock her car. With her birthday coming up, I am thinking about getting her one or two and programming them for her. Coming from the VW/Audi/BMW world, I KNOW that purchasing key fobs from a dealer is expensive, and I also know that you usually need ONE to program another. With that said, I have not done a ton of research on this yet, but figured I would ask here, as forums are always a great place to start!

I guess my actual question is... Can I purchase a key fob from eBay, and program it myself using a set of steps (open/close door, rub dashboard, insert key in ignition, lick steering wheel, etc.) or because of the fact she only has keys (and not a fob) this would have to be a dealership job (which if thats the case she can live without them...)?

Thanks in advance for any and all information!

Just realized... I think this is in the wrong place. Mods, can you move this, or delete the post and I will start it in the correct place? Sorry!!!

Back