Need ideas...dead 2002 P5 engine

Affynity

I was hoping to find some suggestions here. My 2002 P5 recently developed a coolant leak which proceeded to overheat the car. Turns out the coolant got mixed in with the oil and apparently destroyed the engine. Dealer is saying $8500 to replace engine and radiator, but that seems a bit high to me. Can I find a used one somewhere (such as this http://siteground207.com/~protegeg/product_info.php?cPath=21_31_158&products_id=620)? Or is it even worth my time?

Thanks!

I was hoping to find some suggestions here. My 2002 P5 recently developed a coolant leak which proceeded to overheat the car. Turns out the coolant got mixed in with the oil and apparently destroyed the engine. Dealer is saying $8500 to replace engine and radiator, but that seems a bit high to me. Can I find a used one somewhere (such as this http://siteground207.com/~protegeg/product_info.php?cPath=21_31_158&products_id=620)? Or is it even worth my time?

Thanks!

www.car-parts.com

Depending on where you are, I'd expect no more than $1300 total, to buy a used engine and have it installed. I just bought a P5 with a blown up motor and got a motor for under $600 with less than 50k miles, total installed cost under $1K.

If you're so inclined, you could probably go to an MSP engine for less than $3K installed, or go for a Turbo engine for a little more....

Last edited:
Dealer is saying $8500 to replace engine and radiator, but that seems a bit high to me. Thanks!

$8500 to replace an engine?
That's insane.
Did they give you an automized estimate?> I'm REALLY curious about it.

Maybe it'll be gold-plated with platinum rods...

You could install just about ANY motor, NEW, into ANY car for less than that. And I don't mean the same car, like you could get a 7MGTE, stroked, bored, and complete perfoemance workover, and have the whole front of the car refabbed to fit it, for less than that...

when i changed my motor. My mechanic fren said that the "books" said 12hrs to swap motors in a protege... so if labor is less than $80/hr or less it will cost less than $1k to install...

Back