Need help installing a kill switch

im2bad4ya

Contributor
:
MAZDASPEED Protege 2K3.5 #882
I've had this switch going when I spliced the orange wire w/the black stripe on the ignition. This worked fine during the fall but now in the winter the car doesn't turn over, presumably because I'm not drawing enough amps through the switch because it's too cold. So I wanted to know if I tapped the wrong wire or if it's the right one and I need a switch that handles more amps. I'd really rather keep the switch so I want to know if anyone else has a different setup. The orange/black wire as I tried it only affects turning over the car. When I turn the key to ACC everything works, and after I crank the car I can turn the switch off and the car still stays on, and that's the idea of my setup.

I thought of an alternative of hooking up the switch to the neutral switch. But couldn't someone pop the clutch to start the car anyway? If not, I'll hook up the switch to that but if you can then it defeats the purpose. Anyone know?

Im still looking for a solution as well, for a wire under the dash or by the side to install a kill switch, but i dont know which wires to tap into..i dont know the colors and i seems not to find the answer any where..most of the topics i find they either not answer or nothing being explain with pics or whatever!!

By the way, where did you tap those wires??
I've had this switch going when I spliced the orange wire w/the black stripe on the ignition. This worked fine during the fall but now in the winter the car doesn't turn over, presumably because I'm not drawing enough amps through the switch because it's too cold. So I wanted to know if I tapped the wrong wire or if it's the right one and I need a switch that handles more amps. I'd really rather keep the switch so I want to know if anyone else has a different setup. The orange/black wire as I tried it only affects turning over the car. When I turn the key to ACC everything works, and after I crank the car I can turn the switch off and the car still stays on, and that's the idea of my setup.

I thought of an alternative of hooking up the switch to the neutral switch. But couldn't someone pop the clutch to start the car anyway? If not, I'll hook up the switch to that but if you can then it defeats the purpose. Anyone know?

Back