NBC releases details on US version of Top Gear

that sounds much more promising then....

I just hope it doesnt turn into "Car and Driver Telelvision" because Top Gear had little to do w/ the cars tech specs and everything to do with just driving the thing lol

that sounds much more promising then....

I just hope it doesnt turn into "Car and Driver Telelvision" because Top Gear had little to do w/ the cars tech specs and everything to do with just driving the thing lol

I'm sure they'd have picked different hosts if they were interested in anything other than entertainment. You know, people with "qualifications".

I'm interested to see if the US car companies will have thier greasy little hands in the production.

I'd love an honest car review from an American media source

When I was a kid there was this terrible car show on television that was sponsored by a certain automaker that shall remain nameless. Every week - that is, every week I could bear to watch it, at least - the hosts would review a car from that company, and guess what? They always liked it! And that's what makes Top Gear such a hit. Because the BBC is publicly-funded, they don't have advertisements. (Notice that downloaded episodes of Top Gear run an actual full hour, instead of the usual "hour-long" shows that run 45 minutes.) Without advertisers, Clarkson and company are free to say what they want about whatever car they're reviewing, and so journalistic integrity remains intact, even as they catapult caravans and play soccer (sorry, "football") with hatchbacks.

With NBC "gearing" up for its own version of the hit car show, reportedly to be called simply "Gear", the fear was that, as the show would be dependent on commercial advertisements, the recently-announced team of co-hosts would be reigned in by the bean-counters regarding what they could and could not say about the cars they'd be reviewing. Thankfully, on a recent episode of his radio talk-show, Adam Carolla revealed that no such limitations would be imposed by NBC on the show's editorial autonomy. You know, this may just work out yet.

AWESOME!

Here at Autoblog, we make no effort to hide our enthusiasm for the hit BBC series Top Gear. But while our compatriots over in the British Isles get to watch the show on their public television stations, American viewers (comprised mostly of Autoblog readers, of course) have had to make do with the on-again, off-again airing of Top Gear episodes online. For our part, we've done our best to bring you the latest episodes in our weekly night watch video postings.

Fortunately, with the American version of the show speeding into production, NBC is indicating that the show will be available for your viewing pleasure on its website. According to NBC, the episodes - which will be aired weekly in primetime starting sometime this year - will also be available for viewing online each week, along with a special aftermarket segment that's sure to blend the excitement of the annual SEMA show with Top Gear's own unique flavor. Stay tuned for more Top Gear news as NBC brings the show.

Back