NBC Cuts Top Gear USA Due To Knight Rider Failure

altspace

Contributor
:
1990 RX-7 Turbo II
Due to the failure of Knight Rider and expected production costs, NBC has decided to pass on Top Gear USA. The BBC's shopping the US rendition of the hit show to interested cable outlets.

Although the Top Gear website's claiming they took a pass on the Peacock, our sources at both NBC and the BBC tell us the brightly-colored feathered network passed on an opportunity to tie up the show after the failure of the new Knight Rider series and expected high production costs associated with the show.

So, rather than tie up the franchise with a deal or an extension, they've cut Top Gear USA free to search for a new home. Top Gear's website claims interested parties are available on cable and to expect a deal shortly. We remain hopeful they'll be able to find a backer with enough money on hand to really do the show right.

Knight Rider was the worst piece of Monkey s*** I have ever watched.

how the hell does knight rider (piece of s*** riced out over the hill voiced stang) get lumped into the same show catagory as top gear?? i can see the execs now... yup they both have cars and this one failed miserably so therefore this one will as well... yup cut it. now about that new rash of sitcom pilots.... i liked the one about nothing!!

how the hell does knight rider (piece of s*** riced out over the hill voiced stang) get lumped into the same show catagory as top gear?? i can see the execs now... yup they both have cars and this one failed miserably so therefore this one will as well... yup cut it. now about that new rash of sitcom pilots.... i liked the one about nothing!!

qft....instead I am sure we will be unindated with more reality tv......

Top Gear's website claims interested parties are available on cable and to expect a deal shortly.

That sounds like is not fully dead yet (naughty). It will be difficult to match the British words, phrases and sarcasm, but let's see!

Knight Rider shouldn't have used a Mustang in my opinion. Either way, the show was alright. Top Gear would've been nice.

Another reason they are doing this is because they are making room on the schedule for a new nightly Jay Leno prime time talk show.

LOL, that's what I was thinking. The two shows are not even close to being in the same category.

this is sad... does NBC not understand the difference in the two shows??? Lul, FAIL on their part.

Knight RIder was an insult to everything the original show was. Forget NBC. I'll just download the topgear clips I want. What a dumb move on NBC's part.

They never said they dropped top gear cause it's a car show and so i knightrider, just that because the other flopped they dropped it. It probably more means they didn't have space in the budget for a new risky show after a show they invested so much into flopped.

I just pray to god that spike tv doesn't pick it up instead.

The new KR was a bad insult to the original. The 80's version with the 'Hoff was cheesy, but entertaining, and the car was cool as hell. Hell, you can buy the parts to make your Firebird look like the KR car. I doubt you'll see Mustang owners jumping to make their GT500 look like the KR one.

It's sad that TG got the boot from NBC, but they'll be kicking themselves when this show actually hits and does better than KR ever did. Another example of the bean counters winning. I'd like to see Discovery or TLC show it personally. Same company, but I think either one is more suited to that type of show.

Back