NASA Drivers

tang

:
2003 Protege dx
This year my local autoX club decided to switch things up and go with NASA for their events this year. We used to be SCCA.

What does everyone think of NASA vs SCCA?

Thanks,

Nasa classing for autox leaves a lot to be desired. It is based on their TT classes for road racing.
It may reflect road course times well (I don't know) but autox times do respond to the same mods with the same types of time gains as road racing and some of the cars seem oddly classed based on how I know they can do in AutoX.
As for NASA vs SCCA it depends more on the local people running the events than the national organization behind them.

Nasa classing for autox leaves a lot to be desired. It is based on their TT classes for road racing.
It may reflect road course times well (I don't know) but autox times do respond to the same mods with the same types of time gains as road racing and some of the cars seem oddly classed based on how I know they can do in AutoX.
As for NASA vs SCCA it depends more on the local people running the events than the national organization behind them.
Having been the former autocross chair for the Mid-Atlantic chapter of NASA, I completely agree with Shawn's statements.

Also keep in mind that NASA's primary objective is money, which means bringing people in. NASA chapters are generally not adverse to catering to a small crowd of people if they think it's going to bring more people in. If it doesn't work out, they cut the program fairly quickly instead of letting it linger. Because of that approach, they react to changing competition conditions more quickly than SCCA, which is member-driven in its changes for the most part. Some people like the quick changes that NASA is willing to do, but others like the rules and classing stability that SCCA provides.

Personally, I like the NASA rules better. The basis of the rules is weight/hp, and then you get points for modifications. Also, the NASA events I've done have either been on MUCH faster courses than the SCCA events, or I got many more runs in. SCCA classes seem to favor the "hot class car" strategy, like Mini's in D-stock or Honda Civics in STS.

Back