mz3s and snow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is the right forum but i wanna know how many ppl are having trouble with traction on the snow? My 3s is all over the place, this is the worse car in the snow that i have ever driven (next to my camaro). I put the stock all season tires back on for the winter thinking i would be fine but that didnt help. - Joshua

The stock 17's, Goodyear RS-A, are terrible in the snow. Get dedicated snow tires.

I've also moved this thread to tires.

Attachments

• backwheel.jpg
    backwheel.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 343
  • sideview.jpg
    sideview.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 300
  • frontwheel.jpg
    frontwheel.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Hey Skibike! I'm shopping for winter rubber now too and I heard the Dunlop's were fantastic, how do you like them? are they worth the price?

We have gotten over 200" of snow in the mountains so far and every time there is snow on the ground I try to get out. I have had no problems going up the canyon, and when i was messing around in the parking lot, I couldn't really get them to slip. I was doing some e-brake turns, and if I let the brake go early, they would just hook up and go.
I actually got in trouble for driving up in a snowstorm because the canyon road was restricted to 4 wheel drive and chains only, but the marshal let me off when I ran up to my friends car and got her chains. He was waitng for us to leave to make sure I put the chains on. I knew the car could make it, but failed to notice the huge flashing sign....
So just in case that happens again, i got a set of chains sized for the tires http://tirechain.com/DIAMONDSTYLECARCHAINS.htm. Our local dealer will let you return them for a refund if they go unused.
Best tires ever....Black Mica gets up the hill as well as my 4-runner.

I thought I could get away with the OEM tires, but after the first snowfall, I realised I needed winter rubber. So I went out and bought a set of toyo G02+. I was told those were awesome. They seem pretty good, but they do slip from time to time. Since this is my first winter driving stick, it's probably my fault.

17 winters in Wyoming taught me a few things about winter driving, and it's affect on many different types of cars. Lighter cars don't do as well as heavier cars in most circumstances..especially acceleration. Everyone sung the praises of FWD to me when I began my search for car #2 (trading in a 1978 Chevy Monza) and when I decided on an '86 Civic, I was sorely disappointed in it's winter performance. (I'm thinking that the praises of FWD were coming from owners of DeVilles and LeSabres, heavier cars that move around in the snow with ease). I upgraded my tires from those crappy Michelins that Honda used to put on ALL of their cars, and it helped a little...but when things got deep, I actually resorted to tire cables (I REFUSED to put snow tires on my car). If your car isn't heavy enough to force those front tires down hard enough to get traction, there's not a lot you can do but be patient, leave yourself lots of room, lay off the gas, and upshift often. Higher gears and low RPMs afford you more traction...and the advantage to smaller cars is that they can USUALLY turn and stop quicker than a heavy beast. Inertia is your enemy on ice. Be careful out there!

Winter = 4 snow tires

There is nothing like snow tires.... 4 season rubber is not made for Quebec winters, below -20c (about 0 farenheit) 4 season tires are as hard as a hockey puck. They are more like 3 season tires and are always a big compromise.

Just got a taste of driving my 3 in the snow as we got our first snow storm of the winter last weekend. My 3 is riding on 15 inchers and seems pretty easy to control in the snow. I drive a manual, so i don't use the 1st gear on loose snow, avoiding spinning the wheels.

For my canadian Mazda3 friends, i am riding Canadian Tire Nordic Ice Trak.... they are cheap$$$ and ride confortably. May not be the latest technology like GoodYears, Toyo or Michelins.... but cost a lot less. So far, i am satisfied.

I have the Dunlop's DS-2's on my Mazda 6s on a 15" wheel all around and I cant do donuts on ice in a parking lot when I pull the e-brake, these things do not let loose. Dunlops are very good on snow.

damn.

i just droped so much to buy the damn car and now i need new tires?! =p

ill just drive granny all winter.

ya man im with you thats bullsh!t that these stock tires are so bad, it snowed 4 inches today and just trying to get moving is a chore! my MX6 and 626 where never this bad even with bad tires!

Tricked-Out-Toy said:
ya man im with you thats bullsh!t that these stock tires are so bad, it snowed 4 inches today and just trying to get moving is a chore! my MX6 and 626 where never this bad even with bad tires!

I agree, my old MX-6 never had a problem in the snow, when it snows i cant move

for real!.....

Wow our car blows in the snow!!!...

my wife has a 4dr i and I have a 5dr s. Had my first experience in the snow last night and I didn't like it (stock rubber/rims). It was very slippery and the car just kept breaking loose under accel. and sliding under brake, (Now I'm very familiar with how our ABS feels (spank) ).

So anyway do you guys think this is a good deal:

(8) 15 inch rims (black painted genero) $304
(8) Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 $632
mounted and balanced free $0.00
shipping UPS ground $77.27

TOTAL $1013.27

I'm planning on ordering these today, this seems like a really good deal to me....

Any ideas?

(I'm doing both cars, hence (8)..)

Oh, BTW this package is from www.tirerack.com and is car specific, check out the site. (tirerack.com,.....duh) (cool)

Last edited:
goddammit......

Silver Bull3t said:
Wow our car blows in the snow!!!...

my wife has a 4dr i and I have a 5dr s. Had my first experience in the snow last night and I didn't like it (stock rubber/rims). It was very slippery and the car just kept breaking loose under accel. and sliding under brake, (Now I'm very familiar with how our ABS feels (spank) ).

So anyway do you guys think this is a good deal:

(8) 15 inch rims (black painted genero) $304
(8) Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 $632
mounted and balanced free $0.00
shipping UPS ground $77.27

TOTAL $1013.27

I'm planning on ordering these today, this seems like a really good deal to me....

Any ideas?

(I'm doing both cars, hence (8)..)

Oh, BTW this package is from www.tirerack.com and is car specific, check out the site. (tirerack.com,.....duh) (cool)

Just read the sticky, (15inch rims won't fit over N.American calipers) guess this package is out the F'ing window for me. SOB!!!

Guess I need to go back and check 16inch deals...... (pissed)

16" package..

Looks like the 16" package ups the price an additional $267.

(nuts)

Last edited:
Right

bluntman said:
Tirerack only has the option to choose a 3i not a 3s.

Right, guess I always thought the i and s used the same size rotors (so there really is a reason they don't have the s listed.) (hand)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back