My P5 white smoke at all times???

jmoneycruz724

:
Mazda Protege 5
So my Turbo'ed P5 started to smoke white smoke a few months ago,(piston rings). We took the motor apart, got the head re done basically brand new and threw in a set of wiseco 9.0.1 pistons in there, got a cometic head gasket, arp studs and basically every gasket and seal brand new. Put the motor back together and it sounded like a champ, like a new motor. After driving it for about 2 weeks breaking it in it started to smoke white smoke again constantly, it smelled like fuel but it was also burning a lot of oil. Took the head out and everything looks good, the pistons had a little play but I been told that its normal as when they heat up they set in. What could it be??? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated

Well, it is either a leaky valve or piston rings, not much else that could be going into the motor and being burnt, especially if your head gasket is good. Timing is good? No knocks or pre-detonation? When was the last time you filled up, maybe bad gas......

Was the head tested for cracks before rebuilding? Isn't there an oil line that feeds the turbo? Maybe bad seal in there? Is the oil in the pan milky or clean? Does the overflow tank have oil in it? Are you losing oil and antifreeze?

Last edited:
^huh? For a rough idle maybe... But it won't make the engine smoke white.

i guess i should of been a little clearer. a bad PCV valve can make your car burn oil and go through it fairly quickly. Its only a few bucks so its worth a shot and worse case is one less reg maint item you need to worry about.

When my last one went bad it caused me to burn oil(stuck open) so bad that even my girl throught something was wrong with the car and she described it as white smoke.. Most of us know its not really blue but more blueish white when oil is burning. I also went through 1 qrt of oil in 1 week with no oil leaks

white smoke usually means leaking head gasket, cracked head???

I second this. When you took the head off again, did you change the gasket? They are one use only. If your oil is clean, then I would guess that coolant is getting into your cylinder from a crack in the head. Did you have the head dye tested before rebuilding? Also when do you blow the smoke, acceleration, boost-to-vac?

i guess i should of been a little clearer. a bad PCV valve can make your car burn oil and go through it fairly quickly. Its only a few bucks so its worth a shot and worse case is one less reg maint item you need to worry about.

When my last one went bad it caused me to burn oil(stuck open) so bad that even my girl throught something was wrong with the car and she described it as white smoke.. Most of us know its not really blue but more blueish white when oil is burning. I also went through 1 qrt of oil in 1 week with no oil leaks

^true. But that only treats a symptom - not the underlying issue which is the reason the PCV got clogged and blew so much oil. The reduced compression (piston rings) allows the combustion gas to over-pressurize the crankcase. It pushes oil into the PCV and then burns it in the engine. When a PCV is getting oil fouled on a high-mileage engine i put an oil catch can or just vent the crankcase to the atmosphere until the engine is rebuilt....

I second this. When you took the head off again, did you change the gasket? They are one use only. If your oil is clean, then I would guess that coolant is getting into your cylinder from a crack in the head. Did you have the head dye tested before rebuilding? Also when do you blow the smoke, acceleration, boost-to-vac?

^this. And - did you re-use head bolts?

^true. But that only treats a symptom - not the underlying issue which is the reason the PCV got clogged and blew so much oil. The reduced compression (piston rings) allows the combustion gas to over-pressurize the crankcase. It pushes oil into the PCV and then burns it in the engine. When a PCV is getting oil fouled on a high-mileage engine i put an oil catch can or just vent the crankcase to the atmosphere until the engine is rebuilt....

Rougly 30-40k miles later still no oil burning issues after a compression test and a pcv valve repalcement. No catch can. Im not saying thats what his issue is but its what mine was.

I had purchased new head gasket, new arp studs, head had no cracks. It looks like th pistons are a bit too loose, had a few ppl look and thats what they tell me. I guess Wiseco ****** up again cause I had issues with them in the past. IM going to put stock pistons back with new OE rings and call it a day.

I had purchased new head gasket, new arp studs, head had no cracks. It looks like th pistons are a bit too loose, had a few ppl look and thats what they tell me. I guess Wiseco ****** up again cause I had issues with them in the past. IM going to put stock pistons back with new OE rings and call it a day.
Did they mess up or had that block already been bored out a little?

Back