My Mazdaspeed Conversion Build

I dont know the exact dimensions, my car and all my parts are at the hot rod shop I work at. You'd be better off ordering the msp condensor.

I'm not even sure they make universal condensors that would fit what you're looking for and even if they did, it would be a lot more of a pain in the ass to install that then it would be to tweak the n/a condensor. keep it clean, not hokie

fLyPiNoY7 said:
whats the width of the msp condenser?...i might be able to find an aftermarket replacement for cheaper if the dealership feels like ripping me off again...

I think ken was selling some from a parted out MSP a while ago

and by the way edwin, no matter what you say, swapping in the n/a 2.0 makes things more simple, especially with respect to the computer and electronics. And yes, what I said in my previous post to negatize is all valid information.

regardless of what you try to portray me as to the mazda community, I'm not an idiot. I've been working on and building cars since I can remember. I work at a locally reputable hot rod shop and the people who are helping out with this build are all professionals with 35+ years of fabrication and build experience. If you want to second guess me that's fine, but don't second guess them.

gone_fishin said:
well, you seem to know everything there is to know under the sun about proteges so you want to head up my build instead? To be honest I've got a lot of other non protege car related s*** I could be doing right now.

the 99-00 radiators are different than the 01+ ones yes... this is because the core support is (obviously) different due to the different from facia

as far as the radiator brackets goes, the passenger side one will definately work, not sure about the driver's side one as mazda changed the intercooler design between the 99-00 turbo diesel models and the 01-03 turbo diesel models... yes, that's where the radiator and intercooler is from

Last edited:
gone_fishin said:
and by the way edwin, no matter what you say, swapping in the n/a 2.0 makes things more simple, especially with respect to the computer and electronics. And yes, what I said in my previous post to negatize is all valid information.

regardless of what you try to portray me as to the mazda community, I'm not an idiot. I've been working on and building cars since I can remember. I work at a locally reputable hot rod shop and the people who are helping out with this build are all professionals with 35+ years of fabrication and build experience. If you want to second guess me that's fine, but don't second guess them.

how many times do I have to tell you that there's no real difference between a non-turbo and turbo swap? the electrical system between the two cars of the SAME year are the SAME... the only time you do any special s*** to the electrical system is when you start adding aftermarket bulls***... in otherwords, you can take an MSP ECU and plug the s*** into any 2003 protege with a 2.0 engine and it'll work with NO issues as long as you have the stock turbo (and its related s***) installed... many have done it and it works

sure the MSP doesn't have cruise control (thus there's no wiring for it on the MSP), but wtf does that have anything to do with getting the engine to run? it's not needed and that's the ONLY difference in the MSP engine wiring harness and the P5 one

the MSP isn't some fancysmancy special car like the MSM and MS6 are... mazda just used off the shelf parts, put them on the car, shipped it here and had a turbo kit installed after the cars got off the boat... they didn't spend ANY money upgrading a damn thing in the engine or tranny other than the LSD and the s*** needed for the turbo oil return line... in otherwords, when the MSP left the docks in japan, the only thing different under the hood was the radiator, intercooler, and the addition of an oil cooler... pratically speaking it was the same as all the normal proteges before the turbo got installed on our docks

Last edited:
TheMAN said:
how many times do I have to tell you that there's no real difference between a non-turbo and turbo swap? the electrical system between the two cars of the SAME year are the SAME... the only time you do any special s*** to the electrical system is when you start adding aftermarket bulls***... in otherwords, you can take an MSP ECU and plug the s*** into any 2003 protege with a 2.0 engine and it'll work with NO issues as long as you have the stock turbo (and its related s***) installed... many have done it and it works

sure the MSP doesn't have cruise control (thus there's no wiring for it on the MSP), but wtf does that have anything to do with getting the engine to run? it's not needed and that's the ONLY difference in the MSP engine wiring harness and the P5 one

the MSP isn't some fancysmancy special car like the MSM and MS6 are... mazda just used off the shelf parts, put them on the car, shipped it here and had a turbo kit installed after the cars got off the boat... they didn't spend ANY money upgrading a damn thing in the engine or tranny other than the LSD and the s*** needed for the turbo oil return line... in otherwords, when the MSP left the docks in japan, the only thing different under the hood was the radiator, intercooler, and the addition of an oil cooler... pratically speaking it was the same as all the normal proteges before the turbo got installed on our docks

you crack me up!!!

What I meant by quick and easy install was the fact that the engine practically fell right in the bay with no problems.

All my wiring is 100% done. EVERY piece of wiring and the ECU in my car was swapped to 01+.

My car is essentially a 2002 Protege drivetrain with a 1999 chassis. The only thing left on my "to do list" as far as swapping goes is forking out the money for the 5-lug MSP braking system/ABS and the 01+ front subframe so I can have the additional lower brace on the car (which I can further upgrade to the GT Spec 4pt ladder brace.)

Anywho, good luck with the completing the swap.

Last edited:
the only other thing 99 in your car is the A/C system ;)

but yeah... the front crossmember, you had the chance to swap it when you had the parts car... so now you have to learn an expensive mistake... oh well

TheMAN said:
the 99-00 radiators are different than the 01+ ones yes... this is because the core support is (obviously) different due to the different from facia

as far as the radiator brackets goes, the passenger side one will definately work, not sure about the driver's side one as mazda changed the intercooler design between the 99-00 turbo diesel models and the 01-03 turbo diesel models... yes, that's where the radiator and intercooler is from

Edwin, just look at the diagram I drew. I'm so sick of arguing with you. I can't make it any clearer. And unless the radiator sits crooked in the frame, which last time I checked it doesn't, the brackets need to be uni-level on both sides.

Attachments

• rad.jpg
    rad.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
I'm talking about using the MSP radiator brackets... I know for sure the passenger side one will work

stop arguing with me, I know what'll work and what won't

TheMAN said:
I'm talking about using the MSP radiator brackets... I know for sure the passenger side one will work

stop arguing with me, I know what'll work and what won't

you obviously don't read my posts thoroughly which would explain a lot of things. I previously said twice that I didn't have the msp radiator bracket or the msp smic bracket. go back and read

hmm...with all these problems trying to get the smic working, looks like im headed more toward just saying screw it and getting a fmic...

Update on the build.

Today I finished up the brakes and flushing the system to drive the air out. Brake function was restored and the car was moved to one of the other bays to begin the electrical work.

For the remainder of the day it was just a lot of electrical diagnostics and computer pinning. With the wiring diagrams, the ECU map that I have and the measurements taken today, I ended the day basically planning what is going to be switched and soldered on monday. Everything under the hood is done, the brakes are done and the car is driveable. I took it for a test drive today and things ran without a hitch. Looks like everything is working perfectly. The only issues still to be fixed are the speedometer and tach wiring, and some various suspension work. The reverse lights aren't functioning but that will hopefully be resolved on monday with the speedometer and tach. All other lights and signals are working perfectly.
The build's almost complete!

Ended the day helping dan TIG weld the all tube chassis he's making for the world's fastest streetcar competition this year.

fLyPiNoY7 said:
hmm...with all these problems trying to get the smic working, looks like im headed more toward just saying screw it and getting a fmic...

do the FMIC if you can afford it right now. you should upgrade to an FMIC if it's possible for you to do so, so why buy the parts to accomodate the SMIC if you're planning on purchasing an FMIC relatively soon? Know what I mean-- it's just money and time wasted. If you decide to do the SMIC though you can pick up the rad and smic brackets at your local dealership, just make sure to get the msp condensor as well.

gone_fishin said:
you obviously don't read my posts thoroughly which would explain a lot of things. I previously said twice that I didn't have the msp radiator bracket or the msp smic bracket. go back and read

I already know you don't have them... so I'm telling you to go get them
stop being a cheap ass and buy them from the dealer... they're CHEAP anyway

Again, you didn't read my writeup. Did I not say that the machine shop was right next door to the shop and it took less than 30 mins to fabricate them? Why would I order them from the dealership? It's a 45 min drive to the closest dealer, 1.5 hours round trip. Or I could order them from the dealership and wait two-three days for them to arrive because that makes a whole lot of sense.

I had never instigated an arguement. All I do is respond to your ignorant comments so please just stop posting in my thread. You're ruining an otherwise good thread by cluttering it up with useless posts that contribute absolutely nothing in addition to wasting my time responding to your critical comments. If you want to start up a thread about the differences between the 99 and the rest of the proteges and argue with yourself about pointless s*** for hours on end, be my guest. Just please don't do it here.

I'd like to keep this thread open for updates, feedback, questions, and meaningful discussion. If you're looking for a debate forum, do it elsewhere. You must have tons of friends if you act like this around people.

Last edited:
gone_fishin said:
do the FMIC if you can afford it right now. you should upgrade to an FMIC if it's possible for you to do so, so why buy the parts to accomodate the SMIC if you're planning on purchasing an FMIC relatively soon? Know what I mean-- it's just money and time wasted. If you decide to do the SMIC though you can pick up the rad and smic brackets at your local dealership, just make sure to get the msp condensor as well.

yeah...the more i look at it, getting the msp condenser and all its related parts r gonna cost me a whole lot more than just getting a custom fmic and getting some pipes fabricated...oh well, i guess that means that theres gonna be an msp radiator/smic/hardpipes for sale soon...

fLyPiNoY7 said:
yeah...the more i look at it, getting the msp condenser and all its related parts r gonna cost me a whole lot more than just getting a custom fmic and getting some pipes fabricated...oh well, i guess that means that theres gonna be an msp radiator/smic/hardpipes for sale soon...

hardpipes? let me know when you get some pictures because I may be interested all right?

You might think twice though about getting rid of your msp rad, smic and hardpipes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this is the way that I understood it: the FMIC kits designed for the msp are designed around the extra space freed up next to the rad after the SMIC is gone. So, turbo-to-FMIC and FMIC-to-TB pipes route through where the SMIC once sat. Universal protege FMIC kits (for a lot of the aftermarket setups) hug the wider rad with the turbo-to-FMIC pipe below the passenger side headlight and the FMIC-to-TB pipe below the driver side headlight.

You might find it easier to locate an FMIC kit or parts for the msp, but if you're doing custom work this might not apply to you. I guess it really comes down to preferance in which rad you want to use. To be honest I'm really not sure if one is truly superior over the other. While the msp rad is less wide, it is about half an inch thicker overall and about an inch taller, thus offering roughly comparable surface area for the fins. I don't know which is more efficient, however, if you're building a turbo motor it might be slightly safer to go with a rad that was factory designed to cool that specific turbo motor... know what I mean? Let me know what you decide.

gone_fishin said:
You might think twice though about getting rid of your msp rad, smic and hardpipes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this is the way that I understood it: the FMIC kits designed for the msp are designed around the extra space freed up next to the rad after the SMIC is gone. So, turbo-to-FMIC and FMIC-to-TB pipes route through where the SMIC once sat. Universal protege FMIC kits (for a lot of the aftermarket setups) hug the wider rad with the turbo-to-FMIC pipe below the passenger side headlight and the FMIC-to-TB pipe below the driver side headlight.
you're halfway right. depending on which FMIC kit you get will determine if it uses the MSP radiator or if you can switch to a larger Protege radiator.

You mentioned needing the MSP condensor. Is that because you're swapping it into a 99? Will it be the same for the 02? I'm doing a turbo setup in my P5 using some stock MSP parts. Info is in the sig.

he would need the msp condesor if he is going to use the msp radiator with the msp specific fmic, because the msp condesor is shorter. so the space where the SMIC will still be open. we just recently did an entire MSP Turbo kit swap into a P5.

Back