My Jeep Build Thread

I hope that stupid FD blows up! The dude theory on engine grounding is that if the motor is installed it is grounded.....If that's the case then that 2J in the FD is not grounded and with 800 so-called WHP it's gonna burst into flames. I'll post a full list later of all the dumb amateur crap we have found and fixed so far on the Jeep.

so the guy building the FD is the one the screwed up your car? Thats a shame...I thought it was a friend of yours...

Yeah I thought he was a friend as well. Apparently he screws over friends. I wanted him to do the build because of how much detail and care went into his car. This is all on the surface though. I bet that FD doesn't last long. There was no care taken at all during the building of the Jeep. The exhaust wrap for instance was not done well at all, you can tell from the pics. I took the wrap off and it revealed that it was held on by zip ties at the base!! $25-$30 per roll, one for each header, money wasted, had to cut it off and decided to do the diy ceramic coating which looks tons better! When everything is fixed I'll post pics of how to do things the right way. And I mean the right way because I'm a perfectionist and would like to enjoy this Jeep on the trails but wouldn't mind taking it to some shows to show it off. 350 sbc's are not very common in Cherokee's so I would love to share the project as I am doing here.

So I don't owe him anymore money, the debt has been written off and my title is on it's way. I had a hunch that the tranny and transfercase had issues because he worked on them too, low and behold, he messed that up too. $600 fix! Picking up the assembly on Friday so the Jeep will be driving this weekend.

For now, here's a vid of the motor running!

f2e56268.jpg

1f860760.jpg

da00980e.jpg

b612055d.jpg

c8509f22.jpg

14bee38a.jpg

Did the timing, set it to 12 degrees. I have the vacuum advance from the Distro hooked up to the manifold for full advance. Drove her around a bit and the power steering pump blew so replaced that, installed an Oddessy PC1500 battery, fixed some wiring issues because the battery wasn't getting charged from the new alternator. Did the exhaust, new oil pan, third oil pan gasket because a leak keeps popping up, still dealing with the leak. The Jeep is at the guy who rebuilt the tranny now because the tranny has a small leak, also the clutch is slipping badly, they are gonna take a look at that too, could be the Jeep master and slave retrofit, thinking about going with a GM master and slave. I don't want to mess with the clutch further, plus the tranny weighs 195 wet, the transfercase is 90 wet with the crossmember being 30lbs, it's hard as hell getting them in and out without screwing up the fragile pilot bushing.

The motor itself though is a beast, runs and sounds very healthy. All 4x4 components work too, took it on it's maiden offroad voyage in my back yard. Phone was dead so I don't have any picks.

After all the leaks are fixed and the clutch is working I will be laying low and just gonna have fun a little bit...while prepping:

Ford 10.50 with disc breaks rear axle! I still need to find an Dana HD60 front axle. It's a lot of work to get them in but it will be worth it and will NEVER break.
4d6940b3.jpg

The motor is so healthy man. I need to replace that damn clutch this week, the slipping is wrecking my life! Finally have no more oil leaks except for power steering, need to figure out where it's coming from.

Love the jeep man! ive been watching this thread for awhile. glad to see you got her up and running!

Thank you very much man, It's has been a lot of work but so worth it! Now I can build around the drivetrain.

To do/buy list:

Axles
4-link front and rear
Fox struts
Rear stinger/tire carrier
Double beadlocks
rack and pinion hydro high steer
42" Pitbull Rockers

and a lot more!

Last edited:
Back