My Hypertech Impressions

It gets frustrating when people come at you for things you don't write or misinterpret what you do. It's not "attitude". I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation that people read carefully before they post.

Asking clarifying questions without the exclamatory presentation like this, for example:

"What? I prefer to let the car idle down and then I start driving it without going into boost. You should never rush the warm up!"

...is totally fine, in my opinion.

I apologise if my views seem harsh to you. I prefer to help if I can.

Yeah I totally understand....the What? basically meant I really wasn't sure what you meant by "bar racing the engine at high load" I have never heard anybody use that in my 25 years of being around car enthusiast/mechanics before... if you can clarify exactly what you mean by that statement it might help. And no hard feelings here bro. And yes lets get back to the main topic.

My English is formed from the actual Queen's English so a touch of odd idiom comes with that, I apologise. "Bar" means the same as "except for" in American. (doh)

Sorry for the confusion.

So is the Hypertech flash an alternative to the Cobb AP? How should you decide which one to get?

Well, if you're not seeking the elusive 400 hp with a BT and w.h.y. the can of tune-a in the Hypertech is pretty good. I'm running it, as I say above, on a near fully bolted car and it loves it.

Buy the Cobb if you want to play with parameters yourself or get a custom tune, or if you want to datalog (although Dashhawk is better for that stuff). If you're going to run off the shelf maps, the HT is a better choice in my view.

Darth, I appreciate your honest and knowledgeable review of this tuner. I am contemplating selling my cobb ap and getting the hypertech. Where is the cheapest place to find one? I found it on advancedspeedshop for pretty cheap, but I heard something about a coupon to get more money off and I can't find the thread I saw this in.

Thank you!

Darth, I appreciate your honest and knowledgeable review of this tuner. I am contemplating selling my cobb ap and getting the hypertech. Where is the cheapest place to find one? I found it on advancedspeedshop for pretty cheap, but I heard something about a coupon to get more money off and I can't find the thread I saw this in.

Thank you!

See two posts above,. 318(shocked)

Thank you!

PM'd you the info.

Just back from the track and the word is...don't expect miracles from this tune, track-wise. It does make the car drive a ton nicer but, it isn't a transformational WOT-only experience.

Despite traction now being extremely limited with the removal of the throttle restriction, the car did pick up a mph or two, fairly consistently, delivering a best of 102.44 over a previous hail-mary best of 101 but, more regularly, 98-99. I realise these numbers aren't stellar for a DP, RP car with a tune but, that's where it and I, as pilot, are at with it, given limited track time. These runs are with stock tires and wheels and, man, the 60' times show it, wandering around from a best of 2.0 to 2.4. Car would not do a 13 today for the life of me, when I've done them repeatedly before so, the tires are probably pretty finished.

Just back from the track and the word is...don't expect miracles from this tune, track-wise. It does make the car drive a ton nicer but, it isn't a transformational WOT-only experience.

Despite traction now being extremely limited with the removal of the throttle restriction, the car did pick up a mph or two, fairly consistently, delivering a best of 102.44 over a previous hail-mary best of 101 but, more regularly, 98-99. I realise these numbers aren't stellar for a DP, RP car with a tune but, that's where it and I, as pilot, are at with it, given limited track time. These runs are with stock tires and wheels and, man, the 60' times show it, wandering around from a best of 2.0 to 2.4. Car would not do a 13 today for the life of me, when I've done them repeatedly before so, the tires are probably pretty finished.
With better rubber, should come improved times. Also, I would expect managing the wheelspin is essential.

Yeah, I know that, I've been down this track 1000+ times in all kinds of vehicles. I was hoping for a little higher mph, a little more solidly produced is all, as that tells me the kind of power I'm making.

I always feel I'm kind of chasing my tail with this car. Hard parts don't give the expected performance boost and I run around trying to figure out why. If I'm honest, I didn't really expect a can of tune-a to give me alot of gain on my modified vehicle and was pleasantly surprised by the huge improvement in on-road performance. Having the track back that up more would have been a bit more satisfying, though, I'll admit.

Running the #s this morning, even given the not-so-stellar ET and 60' performance, my average ET dropped by near 1/2 a second and my average mph went up by about 2-1/2 so, things are working together better than before. On the stock tune, the 1/8th mile times were sometimes quite fast but, the 1/4 results couldn't match it. Now, the 1/8th mile times and speeds align with the results at the stripe.

Also, I'm still unsure what the best shift point is for the car as, I tried a few, revving out 4th through the beams, shifting at near redline, at 6, at 5800, 5700. Only redline is definitely out. The others all produced similar performance.

12' ASL (yes, 12 feet). Baro about 103, air temp, ranging from a low of 20 to a high of 28 C. Air just wasn't favouring force-inducted cars out there, that day. Many reported their cars feeling a bit weak, despite the not-too-bad weather stats.

Well, close (just an intake). The best it ever did set up like that was one 99 mph, most 97-98. Now we're up to a best of 102.44.

The car is pumping 210 psi on all four holes so, there ain't nothing wrong with the pump.

Back