My Forge BPV is Tweeting at Me

Funky Mo Fo

:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6
and I don't have Twitter (rofl2) Ahh I slay me, but seriously....I installed my BPV last night and I was surprised to hear a tweet or beep when I shift instead of a whoosh. I read a few threads and yes, I used the supplied hose clamp to connect to the TIP. There wasn't a new clamp for the smaller hose so I used the stock one. I torqued the bolts pretty good, so I'm relatively confident that isn't a factor. Is that sound normal?

was it new when you got it? if not, you may want to lube it. I dont have a forge, but I am told that it should sound more like a ping not a tweet lol

You should hear the tweet/metal ping sound during shifts from boost with this valve. The reason why is because the piston inside the valve that opens is made of metal and when it contacts the valve housing it will make that metal to metal ping sound.

You should definitely make sure the spring and shims you're using is allowing the valve to open up completely, but at the appropriate time. Otherwise it will sound fluttery and a bit like your car is clearing its throat.

It's brand new, and it doesn't flutter at all, just sssssssssssssssssssssFWEETsssssssssssssssssssssssssFWEETssssssssssssssFWEET

If I'm interpreting that correctly it sounds like it's working just fine.

The reason you didn't hear the stock one is because the piston and housing were plastic.

Just be carefull FYI not to torque those bolts on the bpv too hard. Put them tight but that metal cold pipe is prone to cracking as other members have experienced. 100 buck repalcement but hey . . .

I guess if it sounds like a pig whistle I'm REALLY screwed!
images

yeah I just sheared off a bolt today when I went to go change my spring in the forge. Really wish that hadn't happened, pain in my butt to get it out. What are you holding for boost? I was holding 16...but now i only get 14 with the red spring. The blue is on it's way from forge.

yeah I just sheared off a bolt today when I went to go change my spring in the forge. Really wish that hadn't happened, pain in my butt to get it out. What are you holding for boost? I was holding 16...but now i only get 14 with the red spring. The blue is on it's way from forge.

Each car and each spring is going to be slightly different. However, there are some things you should be aware of. If you have too stiff a spring, the excess boost will not create enough pressure to fully open the valve. You'll hear a sound similar to a dog clearing its throat and the car will somewhat stutter. I'm spiking 22psi and holding 20.5 pounds of boost and I still run the blue with two shims. If you're under 20psi, you probably shouldn't use the red spring. If anything, try the yellow spring with two shims.

getting rid of the tweet

I had read on another forum about someone putting a cardboard "washer" dealy against the Forge cap to stop the ping sound. Sounds risky to me with it potentially disintegrating. I cleaned up the cap very good and put a ring of high temp red rtv silicone gasket maker on the outer ring inside the cap and let it dry overnight. It forms a nice rubber o-ring dealy, had smoothed it out to about the thicknes of one of the forge spacers, maybe a bit thinner. Took the ping sound away and now I just have a nice turbo sound, pure air. Don't see any negative potential with this fix as the piston should still be topping out plenty and that rubber o ring I created isn't going anywhere with the spring holding it down (and sticking to the cap itself like glue) and it won't be disintegrating like a piece of cardboard. Thoughts?

That's a good idea. I had thought about doing that to see the results a couple months ago but never got around to it. After 500 miles or so, please take the valve apart to check on that silicone. Let us know how it's holding up!

I've been thinking about trying something like this too.
The Forge is really starting to annoy me. So much so that I'm back to running the stock BPV for a while. Sometimes I'd rather lose a little boost then have a 100+ db "CHING" everytime a change gear above 2.5k rpm. It's too harsh, and sounds cheap IMO.
I might just sell the forge and get a TS or HKS.

Well, I sold my Forge because I couldn't stand the sound. I did email Forge about their newer BPV unit, and they said they have a quieter version but it's out of stock for the moment.

The unit model is FMDVMAZ3S, it's on their website. Just a note.

Yeah, I had emailed Ken at PG and asked what is the bpv that can just give me the nice pure air commercial truck sound and he suggested the Greddy which I'm sure is a fine unit. Hassle factor of buy, try to sell settled in so I got ta thinkin. Have a good 500 miles on the Forge with the silicon now, unscrewed the cap tonight and still totally glued on there (spring holds it down real well too) so i'm sticking with this. It's a nice subdued thwack-pwooshhh sound without any Ping whatsoever. Just what I wanted. I have a pic of it if anyone wants me to post it of where I put the silicone.

Really guys? Yours are that loud? Mine's fairly audible but it's never been to the point where it's annoying to me in the car or if I'm outside of it and it's being revved. I still get the clang but from what everyone has said but it's really not been incredibly loud.

I'm not saying that in a belittling way, I'm just curious because mine's never been unbearable. Still works well and I've never rebuilt it or anything.

Last edited:
Back