My first accident with my CX-5 (vs 2004 Sonata)

hollis

:
2013 CX-5 6MT SPORT
While heading straight a driver decided to make a illegal left turn right in front of me..
They received a citation by the police officer for making a illegal left hand turn.

My damage was appraised at $2,147 for new hood, front grill, front bumper and paint fenders to blend in the new parts. About 20 hours of labor over 4-5 day repair.
the accident scene: (Thats the other driver in the pic)
attachment.php

accident.jpg

the damages to my CX-5:
attachment.php

IMG_20130703_170042m.jpg

the damages to 2004 Sonata:
attachment.php

9242755551_3ea902391c_c.jpg

no airbags deployed, but in a bit of pain from it. Need PT for several weeks.

Sad to see it damaged up. There goes the vehicle value for trade in. Hopefully when repaired it will be fine again.

Just wanted to share my story.

While heading straight a driver decided to make a illegal left turn right in front of me..
They received a citation by the police officer for making a illegal left hand turn.

Just wanted to share my story.

Glad to hear you're mostly OK.

Looking at that picture, if you had been going faster and/or not been able to brake, you would have done a *lot* more damage.

If there was a passenger in their car, they'd be very damaged and your car would have been totaled.

I think we all want to see our new Mazdas protected as much as possible* but we all need to keep in mind that s*** happens and coming out of it in a way you can recover from is something to be appreciative of.

* Maxwell is busy researching long term parking at the airport to protect my car from Colorado Hail. Wimp. :)

Dang man, kinda weird, a certain female backed into my car today, luckly it only put a small gouge on the rear left fender and a barely noticeable scrape on the paint at the end of the door (fenders getting replaced though).

Don't worry to much about the trade in value. At $2100, that's considered a "minor" accident. I just traded a 2013 GT for a '14 GT. Last month the '13 was hit in the rear and had $6000 in damage...Had it fixed and traded it in. We were very upfront with the dealership. I supplied them photos of the damage before it was fixed and a copy of the estimate. We paid $29000 for the '13, we got $24000 for a trade. I didn't think this was to bad considering the car had 14000 miles on it, a year old, and had been in a "major accident". It worked out well, with the lower interest rate, the monthly payment is LOWER on the 2014...Your damage is minimal, keep the pictures and estimate, this will prove the minimal damage if there's a question when you trade it in.

Thanks for the info. I will be putting in a diminished value claim as the car will now have an "accident" in the vehicle history report and dealers can not deem it "certified used" any longer. According to couple car appraisers, the diminished value lost is about $1700-$2000. Haven't repaired it yet, but can verify that amount by seeing the difference between the KBB trade-in value of $18K (for this model with 15K) versus when I go to a dealer and request a trade-in quote after the repairs are completed.

Hoping to see a diesel version come out soon, nothing else in the car market is too interesting otherwise.

The CX-5 stopped very quickly given I had 1-2 seconds to react.

Ironically this morning I was getting into my car after a PT (Physical Therapy) apt and just after closing the car I heard and felt a huge BANG!! in front of me. Scare the heck out of me as a full size Dodge Ram truck (going 30-40MPH) rammed a stopped compact pickup truck maybe 20 feet in front of me. No one looked hurt but both vehicles looked totaled. S*t happens I guess.

Note to self: Don't drive NEAR or AROUND, person named hollis. Chance of vehicle damage HIGH.:)

Last edited:
Sorry for your accident, seems like idiots follow you too. I would not be surprised if she blamed the Plumber's truck for being too big to make an illegal turn and for the accident. Hope you recover soon and best wishes.

Glad you are ok and glad they were cited right away.

When it's all done, it will probably cost closer to $3000. Make sure you get a free rental car from their insurance, or compensation to that effect.

Dang man, kinda weird, a certain female backed into my car today, luckly it only put a small gouge on the rear left fender and a barely noticeable scrape on the paint at the end of the door (fenders getting replaced though).

The same thing happened to me about a month ago. I was walking out of a Staples store in McKinney, TX and saw her leaving a note for me. Luckily the bumper just has a small tear in it (not worth the hassle of filing a claim). I was surprised she was kind enough to let me know what happened and not drive off like a coward. I thanked her for her honesty.

Hollis:

I had someone back into my car while it was parked (and they didn't bother to leave a note). My damage was slightly less than yours...My hood had one small "buckle" in it but the rest of my damage looked very similar to yours. I can tell you that the repairs on my vehicle were $1,000. The front bumper is all one piece under the honeycomb grill.

Good luck...let us know how it turns out.

What's a diminished value claim?? Is that something that the negligent persons insurance pays out??

A car that has been damaged and repaired (as a rule) is worth less than an identical vehicle which has never been in a collision. Even if it looks and drives like nothing ever happened, the damage history can result in a significant loss in resale and/or trade-in value. It can also reduce the pool of potential buyers because some consumers wont even consider purchasing a car that has been damaged and repaired in the past.

In most/all states, if another driver was at-fault in the accident, their insurer may be responsible to compensate you for Diminished Value in addition to repairing your vehicle to pre-collision condition. But the burden of proving the diminution in value is up to each vehicle owner and most insurance companies make the process as difficult as possible. It may even require suing the at-fault drivers insurance company to receive fair compensation.

In July 2010, my 2006 Mazda3 was rear-ended while stopped behind another vehicle at a red light. The at-fault driver hit my car at 40-45mph and launched me into the SUV in front of me with enough force to cause the drivers side airbag to deploy! The car was worth about $10,500 at the time and, to my amazement, the at-fault drivers insurer insisted on repairing it instead of calling it a total loss. I refused to take it to one off their preferred shops and, even though their initial estimate was $6,800, it actually cost over $11k to fix my car!

I am an insurance agent and the entire thing was a one big pissing contest, but in the end I won! =)

I refused to accept the car back twice because it wasnt repaired to my satisfaction. The first time I refused it because the airbag unit (center of the steering wheel) was crooked causing uneven seams on each side. They had to order a new $600 steering wheel to make it fit perfectly. The second time, it looked okay, but when I started it the A/C didnt work. So they had to replace the compressor and several other components of the A/C system.

My car was in the shop for 39 days. In addition to the repairs, they also had to pay over $1200 for a rental car for that period. I had the car appraised immediately after I got it back. According to the appraiser, who specializes in Diminished Value and Total Loss settlements, my car had suffered at least $3400 in Diminished Value. It took almost a year and I had to actually file suit in my county Small Claims Court, but they finally paid up the week prior to the court date! =)

If I had accepted a lower offer (they went as high as $2400), I could have settled in six months and with much less difficulty. But when they refused to total my car, I was out for blood!

A great resource to learn about Diminished Value is the Insurance Consumer Advocate Network ([url]www.ican2000.com[/URL]).

Hollis:

I had someone back into my car while it was parked (and they didn't bother to leave a note). My damage was slightly less than yours...My hood had one small "buckle" in it but the rest of my damage looked very similar to yours. I can tell you that the repairs on my vehicle were $1,000. The front bumper is all one piece under the honeycomb grill.

Good luck...let us know how it turns out.

This is an FYI to everyone here- if you are in an accident, insist (or demand, if necessary) that only OEM Mazda parts are used to repair your vehicle! I also highly recommend having the repairs done by a Body Shop at a Mazda dealership! Insurance companies, your own or another driver's, will usually recommend one of their 'preferred' body shops, but it is your RIGHT to choose who repairs your vehicle!

Sorry if I'm on my soapbox tonight, but I meet people all the time who have been screwed over and pushed around by insurance companies. The two largest auto insurers (by market share) in the country are the worst offenders....

Not all states have " Diminished Value" policies. Here in MA they don't have it and you can't sue for the difference. That's why I traded my 2013 GT in as soon as it came from the body shop. I figured I would NEVER get more money, as a trade in, than now.....I had to wait TWO weeks for most the OEM Mazda parts came in....The rear cross member took over a month. The cross member had a "ding" in it from an exhaust clamp hitting it. The body shop said is was purely cosmetic, and were changing it because it was a new car and it wasn't there before ($595).

Not all states have " Diminished Value" policies. Here in MA they don't have it and you can't sue for the difference. That's why I traded my 2013 GT in as soon as it came from the body shop. I figured I would NEVER get more money, as a trade in, than now.....I had to wait TWO weeks for most the OEM Mazda parts came in....The rear cross member took over a month. The cross member had a "ding" in it from an exhaust clamp hitting it. The body shop said is was purely cosmetic, and were changing it because it was a new car and it wasn't there before ($595).

Unfortunately, many states have failed to take a firm pro-consumer stance toward insurance companies regarding third-party Diminished Value claims. But there are no restrictions against pursuing a claim or even legal action against an at-fault part and his/her insurer for Diminished Value. The only exception is Michigan, which has the most screwed up auto insurance laws in the country (and some of the highest rates).

But in the other 49 states, you can pursue a claim for DV if the other driver is deemed 100% at fault in the accident. From a legal standpoint, the at-fault party (and his insurer, up to policy limits) is required to make you whole after an accident. Ultimately, its up to the state insurance commissioners and the courts in each state to make sure this happens. But even in states where they dont, people still collect third-party Diminished Value!

With the exceptions of Georgia and Kansas, states do not require insurers to pay first-party DV claims. A first-party claim is when the at-fault party claims DV from their own insurance company. In Georgia (and Im sure its the same in Kansas) insurance companies added language to their policies long ago that specifically excludes DV coverage for the policyholder to avoid paying first-party DV claims. A handful of insurance companies offer the option of adding first-party DV coverage to policies in Georgia. One of the companies that I represent as an Independent Agent (and who also insures my autos) offers this options and I added it when I bought my 2012 CX-9 last year. For $18/year, it was a no-brainer.

But Im veering off-topic a bit, sorry

So, my point is that in 49 states (all except Michigan) you can pursue an at-fault driver for Diminished Value. The reality is that most insurance companies make it such a difficult and frustrating process that most either settle for a fraction of what theyre owed or give up entirely on the claim.

Back