My COBB Spring Impressions

Well, I remembered to take before and after measurements. Before front was 26.5", rear 26.625". After front was 26", rear 26.5". That was measured immediately after install. After a few days, I'm measuring front 25.875" rear 26.375" for a total of 0.625" front, 0.25" rear.

sorry to hear that, sounds terrible. The Speed3 needs AT LEAST 1 inch front and rear to look good. Hope yours settles more!

sorry to hear that, sounds terrible. The Speed3 needs AT LEAST 1 inch front and rear to look good. Hope yours settles more!

Wouldn't bother me. I did it for the handling improvement anyway. If the car is too low I'll have to back into my driveway.

I'm used to really low cars that ride like crap and or blow out the shocks and then bounce around or ride terrible. I am debating on getting a front lip as well. But dropping the car too low and adding a lip could pose a problem. But I definately like what many have said about cobb springs eliminating the nasty wheel hop and floatyness. Stock springs feel like the car bounces around on bumps or corners.

I would actually really be interested in springs that DON'T drop much at all... like a half inch or less, but with stiffer rates. Does anybody make such a spring set for the MS3?

I would actually really be interested in springs that DON'T drop much at all... like a half inch or less, but with stiffer rates. Does anybody make such a spring set for the MS3?

umm probably the mazdaspeed springs... but whats the use i think the cobb gives a great stance and definetly great ride...

so ya i installed them last night and now i have a problem with them tho making a clunking but we either think its the bearings since they went everywhere but found them all and put them back (might have shifted when put back together) or from what i saw 2day the spring is not sitting flush with the bottom cup on my driver side and the pass. side is flush (only like a quarter of an inch) all clunking from driverside but it does look great and handles amazing... also put the rear sway on and got clunking from that i have to readjust it.... ill put my pics up in the next hour or so, just to lazy to go out in 112 degree weather...

Well, it's been a while since installing, so I'm sure they're about as settled as they're going to get.

I'm happy with the ride and the improvement in handling, but I'm really disappointed with the drop (or lack thereof).

Ened up with 0.75" drop in the front, and 0.125" in the rear. Don't see how they can advertise 1" F/R. I got virtually no drop in the rear. They should call it 1/2" F, 0" R. It'd be closer to the truth.

Well, it's been a while since installing, so I'm sure they're about as settled as they're going to get.

I'm happy with the ride and the improvement in handling, but I'm really disappointed with the drop (or lack thereof).

Ened up with 0.75" drop in the front, and 0.125" in the rear. Don't see how they can advertise 1" F/R. I got virtually no drop in the rear. They should call it 1/2" F, 0" R. It'd be closer to the truth.

maybe go for long a ride with 3 people on the back and one passenger and drop that s***.....

I've read somewhere else that folks were getting just under an 1" and end up switching to the H&Rs or coilovers. If you do switch for something else I would keep in mind suspension travel and performance, or you'll end up happy with the look and very disapointed the handling.

If they aren't installed exactly right, it is possible to position the springs so that the ride is artificially high. I wonder if the "settling" time some talk about (I did not experience this) is the springs working their way into proper position. My initial drop was good and did not get bigger as the first week went by.

If they aren't installed exactly right, it is possible to position the springs so that the ride is artificially high. I wonder if the "settling" time some talk about (I did not experience this) is the springs working their way into proper position. My initial drop was good and did not get bigger as the first week went by.

I understand exactly what you're talking about there. However, like you, mine only changed about 1/8" over the course of a week or two. I also paid very close attention to the location of the spring in the "cup" to ensure that the coil end was in the little cut-out for it. If not, it would actually produce lift, like you mentioned.

I think that a lot of poeple didn't take any before/after measurements, and are just going off of looks. I'm an engineer and numbers are the only thing that mean anything to me. "Looks like an inch" doesn't really mean jack.

Would you mind measuring from the floor to the highest spot of the wheel openings for both F/R on a flat smooth surface (like a garage)? I measured stock to be 26.5" both F/R. I'd imagine this should be fairly consistent between cars, give or take a little.

I don't mind that the front is 0.75", that's close enough to 1" for me. The problem is the 0.125" in the rear. I understand that this changes weight transfer to the front, which is probably what is responsible for the majority of the wheel hop reduction, but how about at least 0.5" or so?

Last edited:
C'mon guys! No one's willing to go out with a tape measure and take some quick measurements? I'm dying to see some numbers from other Cobbies.

Hell, for that matter, I'd like to see some measurments from the H&R and Mazdaspeed guys as well. Do I smell a sticky brewing?

Last edited:
I think that a lot of poeple didn't take any before/after measurements, and are just going off of looks. I'm an engineer and numbers are the only thing that mean anything to me. "Looks like an inch" doesn't really mean jack.

At the same time, I went to slightly smaller tires (225/40 - the height difference is minimal actually) so I did one thing (tire change) that would make the gap look bigger, and another (spring swap) that would make it get smaller. I'm not even trying to guess how much of a drop I got. I just know I like the way it sits. The gap closed up enough to make me happy and the car isn't so low that I cannot get into my driveway without scraping. I did it for the driving improvement anyway, the looks are just a bonus for me.
I forgot to measure the height last night and don't keep a tape measure at work or I would give you the numbers you asked for.

Why am I tortured, I was about to buy the Cobbs tonight. after waiting since March of 07 to make this big decision. I said self just get some mildly upgraded springs until the car is sorted out. And I was ok with that, Cobb the default through their rep and track times. But now the rep takes a shot. Do they have a quality problem? I thought it was one" and one" for front and rear after settle which should happen in a coulple days?

I have these springs as well. I love them! I am not about slamming my car, but the car is lower but it handles so much better and tracks better too! The high speed float is GONE and the car feels way more connected to the road.

Latest posts

Back