My 2017 CX5 XLD was delivered today.

Mattyredsox

:
1990 Eunos (Mazda) V-Special Roadster (sold), 2014 Mazda CX-5 Pr
It has exactly 20 km on it. It's 18 from the dealer to us. I'll assume the other two happened in shipping.
I won't write much as I'm about to open the not pictured sunroof and drive in the rain.
bad3f41176e462fe7017a31c11038e6f.jpg
daa306d2547a61b97ae13ba7cd1f2ba9.jpg
1f4d764396d98b2454eb14a3576694dd.jpg
9cc800872ddf73877fd74aa96894442b.jpg
5c638f9f70e6cb51d09a5639a09c0a59.jpg
982f0b4e7ed697c39c88bc1704427d5e.jpg
88883b7efbd2e3f168c8febb5a1c90ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks fantastic Matty!

And looks so much better with the steering wheel positioned on the correct side of the car!

Congratulations!

Now, go park it near some cherry trees in flower and put up some more photos!

Last edited:
It has exactly 20 km on it. It's 18 from the dealer to us. I'll assume the other two happened in shipping.
Very nice! Just wondering why you have to wait for almost a month to get your top-of-line CX-5 XD L Package 2WD diesel? Is it because the demand in Japan is very hign or you have some special requirement on your CX-5? Whatever the reason it's worth the wait! :)

We've seen assembly line picture that a front license plate frame is installed at the factory for Japanese market. By the hint of two small bottom hooks for your rear lincese plate, it appears you have one in the rear too. Unfortunately we get neither here. :(

You just have to show us the CD/DVD player which we can't have here ⋯ ;) But hey your open / close dial control for your center dash vents are missing too! Only some reserved spaces are left as the hint some markets would have those available!

I thought we get Toyo A36 225/55R19 99V instead of Toyo A23 on 2017 CX-5 GT in the US, but you get "Toyo Proxes R4C" in Japan?

Show us the other side of the steering wheel stalk switch! You have rear fog light and front / rear fog light indicators in the instrument cluster which we don't have!

BTW, with added front A-pillar tweeters and rear cargo sub-woofer on new Bose 10-speaker system, how do you like it comparing to previous 9-speaker Bose?

Some answers.
Generally you don't buy a dealers' car here. Those are for test driving. Instead you get the car you design with them and they build it for you after you settle on the price. And they deliver it to your house. In fact, even though the paperwork is all under my wife's name (she's a Japanese citizen), she has never once been to the dealer's in three years. All the paperwork is done in house. I like driving and don't mind waiting at the dealer (I try out all the other models), so I bring it in for (free) servicing. If we wanted, they'd do that as well. In fact when our side mirror got smashed on our previous one, they came and fixed it in the driveway.
As for license plates here, yeah, cars appear to come with them, and there's a fancy bolt that makes removal nearly impossible. I honestly didn't check out the tires. Are these better than what you get? Or just different. This is the luxury package. An XDL. Fat fingers typed XLD in a rush in the subject line.
I'll get a shot tomorrow if the other side of the wheel.

Regarding the sound system. So far I'm very impressed. I'll need to live with it a bit longer, but the speakers are much more powerful - when Nirvana's Pennyroyal Tea's bass kicked in, I was parked, and i felt the speakers move my pant legs. That never happened with my old one.
Current favorite surprise, the vastly improved i-stop system, renamed auto-hold.

Looks fantastic Matty!

And looks so much better with the steering wheel positioned on the correct side of the car!

Congratulations!

Now, go park it near some cherry trees in flower and put up some more photos!

I totally agree:D:D

⋯ Current favorite surprise, the vastly improved i-stop system, renamed auto-hold.
Again, you just have to mention something we can't have ⋯ ;) Would you mind to tell us how the i-stop vastly improved as I thought i-stop has already been one of the best? And you had "Auto-Hold" function in your previous 1st-gen CX-5? What was it called by Mazda before?

Nice to know new Bose sub-woofer indeed makes the bass stronger than old Bose system!

Again, you just have to mention something we can't have ⋯ ;) Would you mind to tell us how the i-stop vastly improved as I thought i-stop has already been one of the best? And you had "Auto-Hold" function in your previous 1st-gen CX-5? What was it called by Mazda before?

Nice to know new Bose sub-woofer indeed makes the bass stronger than old Bose system!
Auto-hold was called "i-stop" previously. Improvements include easily turning the system on and off, even while driving; being able to easily reuse it after traveling just a few feet (previously you had to drive a bit more - like at least a hundred feet (30 meters); also the biggest difference between the two systems, i-stop turned off the engine but required you to keep your foot firmly on the brake (with a lot more pressure than actually just braking), instead now, after breaking firmly you can actually take your foot completely off of the brake pedal, it will not go until you hit the gas pedal.

Oh, and it wasn't the sub woofer that caused the air movement that shook my pants, it was the front door speakers!

SO I had to retrieve somethings from the hatch of my car tonight. I finally found a problem with the 2017 CX 5 that really irritated me. No hatch light. What's up with that?

SO I had to retrieve somethings from the hatch of my car tonight. I finally found a problem with the 2017 CX 5 that really irritated me. No hatch light. What's up with that?

It's shown on page 5-126 in the 2017 NA Owners Manual. Maybe yours is just manually turned off? Hope Mazda didn't scrimp there.

Last edited:
My 2017 CX5 XD-L was delivered today

My guess is your dealer turned it off. It's at different location from your previous CX-5 since 2016 MY now at the back panel of the liftgate. You had to look up and see it that's why you missed it in the dark.

That's really cool.

We have a light in the door in the US.

How do plates work in Japan, Matty? Just 4 digits? Or is the 301 part of it?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That's really cool.

We have a light in the door in the US.

How do plates work in Japan, Matty? Just 4 digits? Or is the 301 part of it?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

There's also a Japanese letter on it 「ま」there are fifty some odd letters. Also my nearest local city is listed 「広島」Hiroshima. There's other plate customizing (all in numbers.

Some answers.
Generally you don't buy a dealers' car here. Those are for test driving. Instead you get the car you design with them and they build it for you after you settle on the price. And they deliver it to your house. In fact, even though the paperwork is all under my wife's name (she's a Japanese citizen), she has never once been to the dealer's in three years. All the paperwork is done in house. I like driving and don't mind waiting at the dealer (I try out all the other models), so I bring it in for (free) servicing. If we wanted, they'd do that as well. In fact when our side mirror got smashed on our previous one, they came and fixed it in the driveway.
As for license plates here, yeah, cars appear to come with them, and there's a fancy bolt that makes removal nearly impossible. I honestly didn't check out the tires. Are these better than what you get? Or just different. This is the luxury package. An XDL. Fat fingers typed XLD in a rush in the subject line.
I'll get a shot tomorrow if the other side of the wheel.

Regarding the sound system. So far I'm very impressed. I'll need to live with it a bit longer, but the speakers are much more powerful - when Nirvana's Pennyroyal Tea's bass kicked in, I was parked, and i felt the speakers move my pant legs. That never happened with my old one.
Current favorite surprise, the vastly improved i-stop system, renamed auto-hold.

Congrats on the new model. Thought I'd ask since I haven't had a chance to check out the new model at a dealer yet.

What is the effect of the A-pillars being moved back 35mm, how is the frontal and driver side visibility now compared to the old model? It appears the new model has slightly smaller front doors now.

The rear doors apparently open wider but my previous gen rear doors open near 90 degrees already anyway. Might need to compare this in person.

Congrats on the new model. Thought I'd ask since I haven't had a chance to check out the new model at a dealer yet.

What is the effect of the A-pillars being moved back 35mm, how is the frontal and driver side visibility now compared to the old model? It appears the new model has slightly smaller front doors now.

The rear doors apparently open wider but my previous gen rear doors open near 90 degrees already anyway. Might need to compare this in person.

The doors don't feel smaller. Yesterday we did a side by side with my friend's 2015 CX5. We felt the visibility was much better in the 2017. The blindsposts in the back have been greatly reduced as well. The 2017 is lower and wider. And the hood is much longer. There's much more room in the back seat as well.

Wow DVD player. I guess that means CDs too. The tail lights almost look light they are smoked.

Back