Mud Guards

hyck

:
Mazda 3i
I am really thinking of getting mud guards for my 3 but I am not so sure how is it going to look, and I was also thinking if I do get them to spray paint them the car color. I think the ones that are made for the 3 are only for the 3i. Please reply with thoughts or pics, or both. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
(bump) for mud guards.
i could use some if available.
anyone has any leads where to get them?

well they have them for the 3i and they come in black, for the 3s I am not so sure if they are available, but what do you guys think about putting mud guards, and do you guys think I should paint them the car color or just leave them black? Thanks.

I've never seen any for the s models, though I was thinking much the same thing.
My opinion is that they would look goofy... like an ole' man's car, but would also save some of the paint chips that I'm experiencing around the rocker covers. It's a tough one. Appearence, or practical?
If you do it, I would paint them. I think they would blend in much better.
What color is your car?

The reason you don't see them for the s model is because the side sills on the s trim won't let the OEM mup flaps attach anymore. Several people have gotten cheap generic ones from Walmart and modded them to fit the car though.

icspots said:
The reason you don't see them for the s model is because the side sills on the s trim won't let the OEM mup flaps attach anymore. Several people have gotten cheap generic ones from Walmart and modded them to fit the car though.
Yeah, I know, though I thought that someone in the aftermarket would make s/gt specific ones by now. And it appears that hyck has an "i" model, so I am a little confused about what he is asking and why the reference to the "s" and "gt" models?
hyck, quote: "I think the ones that are made for the 3 are only for the 3i."
As I'd said if I were going to do it I would consider painting them to blend in a bit more.

I have a 2007 3s Touring on order, and as soon as I get back there and pick it up, I am going to be in the market for some mud-flaps. Having grown up in the land of salt and cinders in the winter, and construction-site strewn debris in the summer, I wouldn't have a car without them. They are top of the list for "mods", if you can call them that. I plan on checking checking out the Mazda ones to see if a little work with dremel will allow them to fit around the skirts, but will have no problem going aftermarket.

BKK Jack said:
I have a 2007 3s Touring on order, and as soon as I get back there and pick it up, I am going to be in the market for some mud-flaps. Having grown up in the land of salt and cinders in the winter, and construction-site strewn debris in the summer, I wouldn't have a car without them. They are top of the list for "mods", if you can call them that. I plan on checking checking out the Mazda ones to see if a little work with dremel will allow them to fit around the skirts, but will have no problem going aftermarket.
I think you and I grew up in the same place. I know EXACTLY what you mean. :D
To avoid scrapes on the factory paint from the new edge, may I suggest you use some of that small rubber channel over it... between the new edge and the side-sill?
Hey Man, Good Luck with the project and let us all know how it turns out.
But remember: "This Thread Is Worthless Without Pictures!!" (rlaugh)

Thanks for the advice. I will post the pics when I do it, but right now, my butt is in Bangkok, and my car is somewhere in genesis. I just got my avatar bike painted. Would you like to see a picture of that? When (if) it stops raining here, I will take a good pic and change the avatar.

Mods: Sorry for the tangent...

Hey! Haven't heard from anybody on this thread ina awhile and wondered what's happened? Anybody come up w/a COOL mudflap solution?
(Not you, Jack. I know you're still in Bangkok and awaiting delivery.)

Last edited:
bbrich57 said:

Hey! Haven't heard from anybody on this thread ina awhile and wondered what's happened? Anybody come up w/a COOL mudflap solution?
(Not you, Jack. I know you're still in Bangkok and awaiting delivery.)

Only 38 more days. Thanks for reminding me about the flaps, though. I want to get them on immediately because on Christmas day I will be driving from Ohio to Virginia, and I know with my luck there will be the mother of all slush-storms on that very day!

New M3 Owner

Hi All,

New to this forum and a new owner of a 05 M3 GT sedan(Canadian) model. I too am interested in the mud flaps but my dealer tells me the ones they sell will not fit because of the sill molding. What is the M3i model is that the same as the Canadian GT model because MazdaStuff in Texas advertises flaps that will fit a M3i but not the S model. Can anyone from south of the 49th tell be if these flaps would fit my car?

Thanks

Hi upnover,
Welcome to the forums!
A US spec 3i has the smaller 2.0L engine, only comes as a sedan, the base model has no power windows/locks, 15" wheels w/covers (16" alloys are optional) and no sill ext. molding. In short, the cheapest most basic of the line. And yes, I believe it is the equivilent of a Canadian GH(?) model.
Chances are real good that these mudflaps will not fit your car w/o modifications, or perhaps not at all.
The easiest way to install flaps on a US "S" model (or Cn. GT) that I know of is to just get some flat, universal types and cut them to the shape you want. Then screw 'em on.

Last edited:
Look very closely... you can barely tell its there. Its the generic flappy from autozone, cut to fit, and cut the stupid side molding off so it wouldnt scratch my paint anymore. Works well for keeping the road crap off my doors since going to a 225 tire.

Attachments

• Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 335
WetsuitxNinja said:
Look very closely... you can barely tell its there. Its the generic flappy from autozone, cut to fit, and cut the stupid side molding off so it wouldnt scratch my paint anymore. Works well for keeping the road crap off my doors since going to a 225 tire.

Yup! That's what U had in mind. Looks good Derek!! You got'em on the back?
Nice wheels too. Rota Torques? But ya' gotta' get rid of those "floating" 2.3's in there. Clean side the sucker.
I thought you were dropped too? Looks like a lot a' wheel well there. Even more than mine.
I just picked up a set of H&R's pretty cheap. Soon as I can, down she goes.

You would think that when they design/manufacture a new vehicle, that they design (optional) mud flaps. I just don't get it.

WetsuitxNinja, how did you mount them? Did you glue, bolt, drill or screw the thing in.

I noticed on mine that it has some hooks or somehting, I wonder what those are for, since Mazda doesnt have mudguards, what other use could they have?

bbrich57 said:
Yup! That's what U had in mind. Looks good Derek!! You got'em on the back?
Nice wheels too. Rota Torques? But ya' gotta' get rid of those "floating" 2.3's in there. Clean side the sucker.
I thought you were dropped too? Looks like a lot a' wheel well there. Even more than mine.
I just picked up a set of H&R's pretty cheap. Soon as I can, down she goes.

Ha, wrong guy, im Ben.

Planning on takin the 2.3 one of these days when I get a chance. Im stock suspension and yea rota torques in bronze. Dropping isnt for me, dirt roads, mountain trips for snowboarding etc. I wish though. Maybe RB's

I mounted them to the pins that hold the stock side sill on. I just took the plastic screws out and used a little longer metal ones Holding tight for about 2 months now.

The pins are those kind that hold in by having the screw go into the plastic nut I guess you could call it, but it speads, causing it to lock in place. It still works.

WetsuitxNinja, do you have more pics of the car. The posted one is in the shade and does not show too much.

thanks

Back