msp oil pan Q.

mapa19

:
'91 Miata BRG, '95 MX-6 LS, '02 Mazdaspeed5, '04 Mazda3 S-w
Ok. I don't have an msp, but I do hvae an msp turbo to install, but I'm not sure about the oil pan. Where is the oil return from the turbo?
If it goes to the oil pan, do I need to pull the engine out to get it off, or can I take the oil pan off with the engine in the car?

Thanks! :)

You can take the Oil Pan off while the engine is in the car. But if you decided to use the stock oil pan then you'll need to tap it and run the oil line yourself. Good luck with it.

So the factory return feed IS in the oil pan for an msp?

I believe someone on here is selling an oil pan already tapped with an oil return. Check the FS section

the factory oil return line on the MSP doesn't directly hook onto the oil pan- it hooks up to the windage tray or upper oil pan or whatever they call it. It's the part of the engine between the block and the oil pan- in the back of the engine (on the MSP windage tray) it's got a milled flange for the line to bolt up to. To remove the windage tray i believe you have to remove the transmission as it's blocking 2 of the bolts holding the windage tray on. Not as easy as just tapping the oil pan and running the return line to it- i don't know if this performs any different from the factory oil return or if tapping the pan opens the door to any problems, but it seams like lots of people do it.

there is a tapped oil pan for sale at the time- i briefly considered it myself before i realized that i have 1) no turbo and 2)an automatic

Last edited:
Ah, cool.
I did 3 searches and no oil pans fs showed up. If it's not pushing it, would anyone mind a link or the seller's name?

Back