MSP + Long Road Trip = Awsome!

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Just wanted to let you know how the car was on the recent vacation I took. Anyway, we (girlfriend and I) drove from Winnipeg to Vancouver.

Pros:
- Smooth and steady. The suspension is awsome! The curves were eaten up
no problem. And this was with 2 suitcases and a little extra in the trunk.
- Good passing power (even in 5th!).
- Good gas mileage. Averaged about 31-32mpg going about 115 - 125km/h.
The prairies were flat so that's where I got the low 30's for mileage. But when it came to the mountains, whoa! Mileage went up to as much as 37mpg! And that's using the A/C! I was really suprised. There was one stretch where the needle was right on half tank and the odometer was reading 500km's!
- A/C runs strong. I actually had to keep it on low.
- Headlights were surprisingly bright. I rarely used my brights.
- The car gets quite a bit of attention. Many people gawk at it.

Cons:
- Potenza's made quite a bit of noise for my liking.
- Letting the turbo cool before gasing up. Sometimes letting it idle up to 5 minutes to be safe.
- Lack of lumbar support and leg support. That was a big one for me as I had to do some pretty funky stretching while driving.
- Kenwood deck is way to bright at night. It was really distracting.
- No cruise. You really need it in the prairies. My foot was getting numb at times.
- Potenza'a suck in the rain. On the way back we hit a pretty good storm outside of Calgary. There was standing water in the tire grooves and as soon as I hit 95km/h, the car would start hydroplaning.
- The car gets quite a bit of attention. Many people gawk at it.

Anyway, it was a pretty good first trip with the car. Looking forward to many more.

I made my first road trip from West palm beach to Alachoa FL, and it was a very surprising good and smooth ride,by the time i got there i used up 3/4 of a tank of fuel and 3/4 on the way back, this was last May, and i will be making the same trip this Labor Day weekend :)

highway rain performance really sucks baaadddd. you can't go really fast at all, these are not rain tires! if you're riding around on the potenzas and it rains just take it easy. anyway, i've taken a few medium distance trips in the MSP [jersey shore & poconos] and found it to be pleasant, did need cruise a few times but that's okay, and the gas mileage rocks!

jersey_emt said:
No real need to let the turbo cool before gassing up, on the highway you rarely use the turbo.
If your coasting...no. But, as soon as you TOUCH the accelerator...there's the turbo.

I drove from near Toronto Ontario to Nova Scotia and back a few weeks ago.
I drove like a grandmother (110km/h) and got 6.66L/100km, then I drove like a madman (130km/h) with the AC on and got even better gas mileage! This car is confusing.

i once drove from north VA to south FLA, 16 hours . stayed 6 hours and drove back !
about 10 miles from home i pulled into a mcdonalds and got a icecream sunday.
i woke up 11 hours later sweating my ass off and sunburnt with ice cream all over my car and lap . i was alone and the radio did not work ....... ill never do that again

NoVaMSP said:
i once drove from north VA to south FLA, 16 hours . stayed 6 hours and drove back !
about 10 miles from home i pulled into a mcdonalds and got a icecream sunday.
i woke up 11 hours later sweating my ass off and sunburnt with ice cream all over my car and lap . i was alone and the radio did not work ....... ill never do that again
LOL(wrc)

N1XRR said:
If your coasting...no. But, as soon as you TOUCH the accelerator...there's the turbo.

I can pass somebody on the highway without going into boost, sure it takes longer but it really saves on gas.

when i picked up my car, i drove it from south florida all the way back to lansing, michigan... two days of 14+ hr driving. i didnt have any kinks in my back or anything, it was quite a comfortable ride i must say :)

aiken said:
when i picked up my car, i drove it from south florida all the way back to lansing, michigan... two days of 14+ hr driving. i didnt have any kinks in my back or anything, it was quite a comfortable ride i must say :)

Yeah it's not bad, especially seeing how some reviews referred to the MSP's 'punishing ride'

Drove to Toronto and back (4 hours each way) this weekend for IMPORTFEST.

Was in boost basicly the entire time, lol.

Having no cruise control just plain sucks...I had to use my left foot at times.

been to moroso (West palm beach) from miramar (close to south miami) many times and she treats me right every time, and BTW our kenwood deck has a dimmer! there goes one of the cons... too bad nobody gawks at mine, i swear i was at one of our little car club meetings parked next to a spicy orange and everyone was crouded around that s***, not one person mentioned mine, till we drove off and i unleashed the mad turkey!

Yeah I got better mileage driving up into the mountains with the A/C on as well. I wonder why?

I agree on the cruise control, tire noise, and lack of leg support.

To make the headunit less bright and obtrusive hold down the options button and turn it to display mode B. That gives you only a little text and no animation.

Man, once I sat there for 3 hours to figure the damn kenwood thing out... there are so many cool options.

Back