MSP cranks but doesn't turn over, looking for suggestions?

Hello, I've always wanted a turbo charged car, so I bought this MSP non-running with 86,000 miles on it. I thought if I could get it running it would be a great project car and daily driver while I could work on fixing up my protege 5. First off, the crankshaft sensor was spliced in, the connector was cut off for some reason. I had a friend come over to take a look at it. He checked for spark and fuel, and he said we had both. He pulled a spark plug after we tried several times to fire it and the plug was bone dry so at the plugs we weren't getting fuel. So we thought maybe bad injectors so I replaced the injectors with ones that I knew worked and it still won't start. Someone suggested to check the coil packs, but would it have spark with bad coil packs? So I'm searching for some help. If anyone has some suggestions I would greatly appreciate any help out there. Thanks for your time. Someone also said that with the crankshaft sensor if you replace it you need some kind of harmonic balancer, could this be causing a problem as we'll?

I had this problem, ended up being a O2 sensor wire shorting on the heat shield.
hope this helps

I dont have any clue, but I thought I read somewhere about someone having a problem with an alarm on MSP's that was preventing it from firing?

If it was the alarm the car would not crank at all. The harmonic balancer is on the crank pulley itself, you can replace the sensor without removing the pulley. The car could have jumped time, it isn't common on these cars but it is possible.

Manually press the fuel pump relay and see if that gets your fuel pump to prime. I had the same issue and it turned out to be a bad ecu.

Manually press the fuel pump relay and see if that gets your fuel pump to prime. I had the same issue and it turned out to be a bad ecu.

How did the ecu go bad, and where is the fuel pump relay? I would think the fuel pump relay would go bad before the ecu.. I'm gonna check in to that.. Thanks.

Back