MSP 8" subwoofer replacement

darock933

:
03 Mazdaspeed Protege
I bought my MSP with the 8" sub missing in the back and I need a replacement. I've read in the sticky: README: Stock MSP Stereo Warranty/Issues/Upgrades that the JL 8W0 and 8W1 go right in fine with no problems. Are there any other brands/models sub that go in with no problems? Thanks in advance!

I got the jl w3 its deff the best quality sub you can get to work with the stock box. But you will need a spacer for it to fit.

I got the jl w3 its deff the best quality sub you can get to work with the stock box. But you will need a spacer for it to fit.

Thanks for the reply. I've been reading up on the 8W3 needs a spacer to fit. What exactly does that mean? Thanks!

i have an OEM sub thats for sale right now... make me an offer, itll be a lot cheaper than a JL

Sent PM. Thanks!

The jl w3 is too deep to fit into the stock msp box. the spacer is basically just a wood ring that pushes the sub out so it can fit into the box.

I've got an 8inch kicker that you can get if you make me an offer. I replaced the setup with a 10 inch sub so I no longer need the kicker.

lol my buddy and I made it out of a piece of wood, cuz i had a hell of a time finding an 8'' spacer. ya that mdf speaker ring looks like it would, but im not sure. If you do go with the w3 i would recommend getting a better amp. i used the stock one for a while and it overheated.

lol my buddy and I made it out of a piece of wood, cuz i had a hell of a time finding an 8'' spacer. ya that mdf speaker ring looks like it would, but im not sure. If you do go with the w3 i would recommend getting a better amp. i used the stock one for a while and it overheated.

yeah upgrade the sub and youll kill the amp. upgrade the amp and youll kill the sub. do both and be done with it.

How long did the amps last till it blew?

well i guess it depends on how hard you bump it. But stock amp usually got pretty hot within 20 mins. it lasted a few months before it started to blow fuses. I havent been using the stock amp and jl w3 cuz the amp now just burns through fuses.

haha thats like asking how long your engine will last. its all in how well you take care of it and how hard you run it.

well i guess it depends on how hard you bump it. But stock amp usually got pretty hot within 20 mins. it lasted a few months before it started to blow fuses. I havent been using the stock amp and jl w3 cuz the amp now just burns through fuses.

What amp are you using now? Do you suggest any other subs that may work better with the OEM Kenwood amp?

Well im using Kenwood amp thats the exact same model style as the stock one, except I have the bigger one. You want to look at the RMS ratings to amps and subs not the max. So my setup right now is a 300 rms amp matched to a 250 rms infinity 10'' sub. Its a good idea to have an amp that has more RMS watts than the sub. Safest way to keep the amp from overheat, since amps are way more expensive than subs. So the stock amp is 120 RMS and the JL w3 is 250 RMS thats why the amp will overheat trying to push a sub thats more than double the wattage. Thats why i said if you dont blast the jl w3 with the stock amp you should be fine.

As for other subs that could work. I would deff stick with JL its by far the best sub brand IMO. Ive had Kicker, MTX, Infinity, Memphis, Kenwood. But I've used a jl w1 10'' sub its a pretty solid sub. So if you want to go with a JL w1 it would probb be easier for the stock amp to handle and you wouldnt need a spacer.

Well im using Kenwood amp thats the exact same model style as the stock one, except I have the bigger one. You want to look at the RMS ratings to amps and subs not the max. So my setup right now is a 300 rms amp matched to a 250 rms infinity 10'' sub. Its a good idea to have an amp that has more RMS watts than the sub. Safest way to keep the amp from overheat, since amps are way more expensive than subs. So the stock amp is 120 RMS and the JL w3 is 250 RMS thats why the amp will overheat trying to push a sub thats more than double the wattage. Thats why i said if you dont blast the jl w3 with the stock amp you should be fine.

As for other subs that could work. I would deff stick with JL its by far the best sub brand IMO. Ive had Kicker, MTX, Infinity, Memphis, Kenwood. But I've used a jl w1 10'' sub its a pretty solid sub. So if you want to go with a JL w1 it would probb be easier for the stock amp to handle and you wouldnt need a spacer.

Cool thanks man for the advice! I'm looking at either the W1 or W3 right now. I'm not really into bumping the sub to the max and disturbing any of the neighbors. I just want a sound sub that has good volume to replace the one that was missing when I bought the car. Again thanks for all the help I really appreciate it!!

Not bad. I bought my W3 way back in the days with Crutchfield for like 200 bucks. I think the W1 on Crutchfield is over $100.

Back