MSP 2731 Goes Forged

Thanks, and when I first joined this forum I didn't know a single thing about turbo powered cars so I know where you're coming from. This forum and most of it's members are really helpful and informatiive so you can learn all that you want or need to. Don't be afraid to ask questions and do your research!

Yea that's what i joined for just to learn and see what i can get and do to my car when i get it ha. Umm, what kind of spoiler is that? Like does it have a name or some thing like that.

Catchcan for that pcv line is hopefully in the future...even with a millenia s pcv I get quite an accumulation of blowby. Signature sound has some nice looking ones fs.

Looks real nice man! :)

Catchcan for that pcv line is hopefully in the future...even with a millenia s pcv I get quite an accumulation of blowby. Signature sound has some nice looking ones fs.

Looks real nice man! :)

Oh that reminds me, I have a catch can waiting in my garage but I need a bracket for it. Thank you, I appreciate the advice and compliment.

Yea that's what i joined for just to learn and see what i can get and do to my car when i get it ha. Umm, what kind of spoiler is that? Like does it have a name or some thing like that.

It is the stock 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege spoiler that came with the car.

welp... excellent news today!! i got boost working! afrs are at 10.0 tuning will make this beast really come alive.

waiting on the o2 simulator.. the end all fix to zachs problem!

... Then I want to get rid of the plastic coolant bottle and clean up a couple other things and I think I will be done under the hood. At least for a while...

SUBBIN!! Thanks for the link. I read thru the whole thing. Like a good book, just couldnt stop reading. I didnt read if you got the DocB system or not though. I have been a big advocate of his system and think its truly one of the best upgrades you can do.

Let me know when you're ready to take care of your coolant tank. I would be willing to go pick up some Lazer Blue to match. I still think gloss black tank with a BIG logo in metallic blue would be sick. Kinda like BigLou's catch can. If you want anything color matched while I'm at it, I can do that too. We could even incorporate an emblem if you like???

Keep up the good work. Cant wait to see what it puts down for you. With all the good stuff on there and a relatively high CR, you should hit 300 with barely any boost.

shane02pro5 said:

Thanks Shane. I use the Millenia PCV and get tons of blow-by too. Its a killer. Check out the article below from PAS MAG. The can is similar to mine, but way more expensive. They both do a great job at keeping your insides clean as an enema lol.

Attachments

• smax catch can 001.jpg
    smax catch can 001.jpg
    714.2 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
SUBBIN!! Thanks for the link. I read thru the whole thing. Like a good book, just couldnt stop reading. I didnt read if you got the DocB system or not though. I have been a big advocate of his system and think its truly one of the best upgrades you can do.

Let me know when you're ready to take care of your coolant tank. I would be willing to go pick up some Lazer Blue to match. I still think gloss black tank with a BIG logo in metallic blue would be sick. Kinda like BigLou's catch can. If you want anything color matched while I'm at it, I can do that too. We could even incorporate an emblem if you like???

Keep up the good work. Cant wait to see what it puts down for you. With all the good stuff on there and a relatively high CR, you should hit 300 with barely any boost.

You're welcome and I'm glad it was a good read for you. My first goal with this thread is to help others who are thinking about going forged or already in the process and then second is to entertain everybody else. I do plan on getting the Doc B system and I've talked to him about it, just waiting on more funds and time. I'm also planning on getting an AWR oil pan and think after those two additions I should be good as far as my oil system goes. And I as well can not wait to see what my car finally puts down after I get my current problem worked out and get her tuned.

I will let you know about the cans as soon as I'm ready and I'm thankful shane suggested I check them out because these will really help to finish up the look I'm going for.

I will get around to taking new pics and posting them up in the near future.

You're welcome and I'm glad it was a good read for you. My first goal with this thread is to help others who are thinking about going forged or already in the process and then second is to entertain everybody else. I do plan on getting the Doc B system and I've talked to him about it, just waiting on more funds and time. I'm also planning on getting an AWR oil pan and think after those two additions I should be good as far as my oil system goes. And I as well can not wait to see what my car finally puts down after I get my current problem worked out and get her tuned.

I will let you know about the cans as soon as I'm ready and I'm thankful shane suggested I check them out because these will really help to finish up the look I'm going for.

I will get around to taking new pics and posting them up in the near future.

When you are ready for the oil system, I have part numbers for hoses, fittings and the block off if it makes it easier for you.

When you get the AWR pan, check to make sure the mounting surface is FLAT! When I got mine is was bent quite a bit and I didnt see it until I went to install it. I was under a tight deadline so I tried to make it work. After 2 layers of cork gasket and silicone, it still leaks. Pain in my ass...

Looking forward to the new pics! Looks sweet as it is!

Last edited:
When you are ready for the oil system, I have part numbers for hoses, fittings and the block off if it makes it easier for you.

When you get the AWR pan, check to make sure the mounting surface is FLAT! When I got mine is was bent quite a bit and I didnt see it until I went to install it. I was under a tight deadline so I tried to make it work. After 2 layers of cork gasket and silicone, it still leaks. Pain in my ass...

Looking forward to the new pics! Looks sweet as it is!

Cool, I will need those part numbers once I send the pump off to be serviced so I will let you know. And thanks for the heads up on the pan, I will be sure to check it once I get one.

this is a sick build thread, how is she doin. anything new? whats goin on!!

Thank you, she is currently back at Damians to take care of a electrical problem and have the next batch of parts put in. I will update as we progress.

This is definitely a nice build. I haven't read through the entire thread but its awesome. I'm glad that everything is working out for you

This is definitely a nice build. I haven't read through the entire thread but its awesome. I'm glad that everything is working out for you

Thank you very much, I'm soooooo excited to get her finished and finally feel what all this time, money and work has created. Just ordered Spal slim fans and Damian's doing his thing with the engine wire harness, AWR oil pan, J&S safeguard, Mishimoto radiator, custom catch cans from Signature Sound, Focus custom cam gears & battery relocation to the trunk. And I just remembered I need to get the Doc B oil system...

Thank you very much, I'm soooooo excited to get her finished and finally feel what all this time, money and work has created. Just ordered Spal slim fans and Damian's doing his thing with the engine wire harness, AWR oil pan, J&S safeguard, Mishimoto radiator, custom catch cans from Signature Sound, Focus custom cam gears & battery relocation to the trunk. And I just remembered I need to get the Doc B oil system...

I've got a pump that's in really good shape if you need. I love my DocB setup. It's nice that I can set my own pressure and not have to get right under the car to pull the filter for an oil change.

I've got a pump that's in really good shape if you need. I love my DocB setup. It's nice that I can set my own pressure and not have to get right under the car to pull the filter for an oil change.

Word, I'll check on the condition of mine and let you know if I need one.

just a little update.
photo.jpg

photo2.jpg
remote oil filter housing.
photo1.jpg
oil cooler location, custom coolers are not easy to mount in the bay, and actually be functional. but, we made it work.

Hey everybody! It's been a longgggggg time since I've posted anything but I'm back and MSP 2731 is on the road again after several years of not being driven. To give you an idea of how long, I bought her brand new in 2004 and now 12 years later she has 36K and some small change on the odometer. Check engine light is still on throwing the code for a neutral park safety switch and after trying just about everything we could think of and that has been suggested, I ended up just registering it in a county that doesn't require emissions. Couple other changes since last time she was running, she is now on Eibach Pro-Kit springs instead of their Sportlines. I'm happy with the drop and the ride is a little more forgiving over bumps, potholes, etc... even though she needs new struts which are next on my list to replace.

Zoom%20Zoom%20on%20Eibach%20Pro-Kit%20Springs_zpss89w3mwd.jpg
[/IMG]

I now have a new AWR passenger side engine mount in place of the Medieval mount which needs a new bushing. I've also now got AWR adjustable end links on her. I broke my tinted headlights as well did some damage to my front lip when trying to get her up on a tow trailer that wasn't designed for cars that have been lowered so the headlights are no longer tinted and the front lip has been repaired but isn't put back on yet.

When I started this project I was planning on building a daily driver that I could take to the track and not be embarrassed. I ran into several issues along the way and now have a wife and 8 month old son so I've decided to tone down my end goal and just try to make my MSP a fun to drive daily driver which I can put a car seat in and drive my son around in if necessary. I bought a new 2015 CX-5 last year so we have a primary vehicle to drive the boy around in but I do want to be able to drive the kid without rattling his lil brain to much or make him deaf if I have to take him somewhere in my car.

So things like the J&S Safeguard, the MPI tuner and anything else which isn't installed yet will probably end up in the for sale thread whenever I find time to post them.

Anyways, that's my update for now. Hope everyone is doing well and still has their MSP's running strong.

Back