MS6 question

LV Tunerz

:
07 MS6 GT
is the MS6 all time AWD or does it kick in when it needs it ??? Mazda told me its only AWD when the sensors feel it needs it , but i thought that it was all time AWD

per edmunds.com

"A six-speed manual transmission (no automatic is available) sends the power through Mazda's Active Torque-Split all-wheel-drive system. The AWD system automatically varies the power split between 100 percent to the front wheels and a 50/50 front/rear ratio, depending on factors such as traction, steering angle and yaw rate. There are also Normal, Sports and Snow modes to optimize traction for the road conditions. A limited-slip rear differential is also part of the package. Although the power drops off earlier than expected (about 1000 rpm short of the seven grand redline), the 6 pulls hard through the midrange, allowing it to sprint to 60 mph in 6.1 seconds and run the quarter in 14.3 seconds."

http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/mazdaspeedmazda6/2007/review.html

There are also Normal, Sports and Snow modes to optimize traction for the road conditions

does anyone know what this is about hehe ???? SNOW MODE ???\

Or how to edit these modes ???

Last edited:
it is most always in awd. the only time it is not is at real low speeds or soemtimes when you pull the e-brake

There are also Normal, Sports and Snow modes to optimize traction for the road conditions

Its automatic. There is no user interface to select the AWD torque split

WTF? Why would they make it front wheel drive when AWD isnt needed. Most cars would be more Rear wheel biased. I guess I'm just sorta realizing the many ways that Mazda really didnt get it with the Mazdaspeed. I'm really starting to think I should have bought an Evo. No offense to anyone. I still like the car, it's just not exactly what I had in mind.

WTF? Why would they make it front wheel drive when AWD isnt needed. Most cars would be more Rear wheel biased. I guess I'm just sorta realizing the many ways that Mazda really didnt get it with the Mazdaspeed. I'm really starting to think I should have bought an Evo. No offense to anyone. I still like the car, it's just not exactly what I had in mind.

because FWD cars get better gas mileage. It's a haldex AWD system, it's not terribly complex. Ohh, and the evo uses the same AWD haldex technology btw, so does just about every AWD system out there, really it's all down to the electronics and software these days, the basic mechanics are the same, with few exceptions.

because FWD cars get better gas mileage. It's a haldex AWD system, it's not terribly complex. Ohh, and the evo uses the same AWD haldex technology btw, so does just about every AWD system out there, really it's all down to the electronics and software these days, the basic mechanics are the same, with few exceptions.

+1

drove in the snow all last weekend...

didnt feel any snow mode.. hell almost swerved off the road into a tree....i mean i recovered by slowing to a crawl... but yeah

heh -- i work for the Power company.. i need the awd... to get to-from work.. during storm duty...

where is my SNOW mode...?!..

===
they coulda' made it like the NEW GT-R...w/ a selectable snow mode.. u know...

didnt feel any snow mode.. hell almost swerved off the road into a tree....i mean i recovered by slowing to a crawl... but yeah

Are you on the stock tires? They are made for SUMMER driving only. Any temps below 50 degrees these tires get too hard and do not offer the friction needed. Plus, the tread is not for snow as snow will compact in the tread.

People think AWD cars are invincible. You still need the right tires and driving knowledge. AWD will get you up to speed in snow, but the car will still stop like anyother car

Are you on the stock tires? They are made for SUMMER driving only. Any temps below 50 degrees these tires get too hard and do not offer the friction needed. Plus, the tread is not for snow as snow will compact in the tread.

People think AWD cars are invincible. You still need the right tires and driving knowledge. AWD will get you up to speed in snow, but the car will still stop like anyother car

+1

Yeah, I noticed a HUGE improvement in traction after I switched to winter tires. But even with a good set of winter tires, you can still slip on ice or packed snow, or slush, and you still have to drive carefully. I've gotten some good 4 wheel drifts in an empty parking lot, so I know you can break traction in the right (or wrong) conditions, and you still have to drive according to the weather.

heh -- i work for the Power company.. i need the awd... to get to-from work.. during storm duty...

where is my SNOW mode...?!..

===
they coulda' made it like the NEW GT-R...w/ a selectable snow mode.. u know...

Go into a snow-covered empty parking lot. Turn DCS off. Floor it. Watch the back end step out. You will note that the snow mode has a considerable rear-ward bias. Based on the behaviour of the car in this scenario I would almost say that the bias was more than 50-50. Since the most we can have with this system is 50-50 split, I venture to guess that the snow mode IS 50-50 front-back.

Just my 0.02.

R

Yes definitely a LOT smarter to get all seasons tires or snow tires. Guess I should have said in my post I wasn't promoting not getting the proper equipment. But driving in the snow in the summer tires isn't the end of the world if you are careful.

bein careful has very little to do with it...
certain situations you just cant avoid and you dont want to roll that dice with summer tires..

every single post cant lead to tire talk its buggin me out so to snap us back into place.

1) the mazda awd system is only on during certain situations. during a faster right and left turn. during curvy roads when yaw or g force is detected. when any of the front wheels lose traction. on an uphill. on a down hill brake. when launched (takes .016 seconds to let the front wheels slip and rear wheels kick into the lsd) when the car feels any sporty type of driving, the awd kicks in, in WOT. it remains in FWD while out of boost, while under 2500 rpm, and in high gear. as soon as the suspension tenses up during hard driving the AWD system is activated.

2) modes. its all automatically computer decided, unfortunately, but knowing about it can be helpful

SPORT mode turns on during the detection of 'sporty' driving with DSC turned off. it is a fluctuating front to rear/side to side. up to a 50/50 split awd at maximum capability/WOT. you can powerslide. rip it in the snow. ebrake 180. avoid understeer and oversteer depending on your driving. and do pretty much everything you want.

SNOW mode is acheived MOSTLY with DSC turned on, during loss of 2-3 wheels of traction, it is a 95/5 split awd. you only see this when the orange traction light is blinking, its designed to cut most power to rear wheels while still allowing 5% rwd help and concentrate on sending power to the one front wheel which still makes traction.

Normal mode is acheived with DSC on or off, during all conditions, untill the computer detects that its "lets rock" time. it will send anywhere from 0%-45% power to the rear wheels and left to right. Sport mode only turns on during DSC off. 5800rpm shifts are allowed but not enacted when DSC is on. The AWD system won't allow the full power to reach the wheels. HP and TQ are regulated at all times. least during sport mode DSC off. VERY COMPLEX and intelligent computer atatched to a reliable AWD system.

Direct Injection ALSO plays a role in the AWD system in regards to the MPG. On the highway or in town, off of boost, in FWD NORMAL mode. your direct injection system is rerouting and recirculating unused gas, that would have been wasted if it was fuel injected. it will not be bothering with efficiency if you are driving like Jimi Hendrix (crosstown traffic) BUT!!!! it WILL wait when you are finished to recirculate that unused fuel! so you NEED to use the turbo for it to actually be effective. DISI means your car injects fuel into each cylinder, cooler temps, awesome power gains, low emissions. and this is all in combination with the cooling and air flow derived from an intercooled turbocharged engine. if you dont flow the cool dense air from the turbo, you wont have such an efficient or powerful burn. lean and rich air/fuel ratios are controlled by this system. each mode balances efficient or powerful burns depending on how you are using your car.

Back