MS3 at New hampshire Int'l Speedway

dcomiskey

:
2007 MS3 GT
MS3 at New Hampshire Int'l Speedway

So, I made it back in one piece. I should have photos ready to post tomorrow and video sometime in the next week for you all. Bottome line: the car is good, but not "great" on the track. I should preface this by saying NHIS' road course is notoriously hard on tires and brakes. It's essentially a large autocross course compared to places like Limerock and Watkins Glen. The stock Bridgestones and stock brakes SUCK after about 15 minutes. I made 4 runs (2-20 minute, 2-25 minute sessions). Each time, I got to a point where the car would get really squirrely from overheated tires and fading brakes. i'd have to back it down for a lap to cool them down. I never had this problem with my GTI, but I had Hawk Blues, racing brake fluid, larger brakes and Pilot Sport tires (man, do I miss those tires and brakes....).

Being in the Intermediate 2 run group, I normally would be one of the faster drivers. Not yesterday. In my group were: 2 Ferraris (including one Challenge race car), 3 Porsche cayman S', a brand new, GORGEOUS red 997 Turbo, a brand spanking new RS4 driven by a kid that was MAYBE 25 and 3 Lotus Elises. Yeah, so I was pretty much the slow guy of the group. There were some others like a Mini (which spanked me..he had R compunds on and flew around the corners) and a few BMWs, which I was actually able to hold off depending on the driver. It was also nice to never get lapped by an R32 for once....

I recall reading in R&T that when they test drove the MS3 at the track, they couldn't find a better combo of brakes (pads/fluids) than the stock setup. I don't know what the **** they were doing, but they fade like hell after getting very hot. I just hope someone comes out with a track compound for our car. Or I'm going to have to invest in some Brembos, which isn't going to be easy to justify with the wife.... The tires, well, I don't know what to do. I'm not happy with them, although they were very predictable and let you know when they were being pushed. I wish Mazda had a more common size than the s*** they have now, as I can't get Pilot Sports for this car, which pisses me off. The selection is extremely limited. And I can't really afford a set of track wheels and R compund tires right now.

Anyway, I'm curious to see how the car handles at Limerock or Watkins Glen. the problem is I don't know when I'll be able to hit either track this summer.

More to follow!

Last edited:
I was at Portland International last Friday wit a friend and his speed3. The humidity was low and temps, maybe, mid to high 80's.
The tires proved inadequate, the suspension (springs/dampers) is too soft and the DSC went nuts regularly. No laps with DSC off, how about you?
As for the brakes they held up quite well actually.
A pair of well prepped Focus' ripped the Speed through corners.
My friend has less than 3k for mileage, I have twice that mileage and now twice as much tread as well.

Guys, you get what you paid for! Look at the price of the vehicles you're racing?!? And the comparable cars that beat you were "prepped". You're on a road course, watch NASCAR cars brakes light up like lava during a race, your brakes will fade and you shouldn't be surprised unless you pay for some premium set-up. You gotta pay to play, and you didn't pay much for your MS3. How did you do against the stock Caymans? Same question, DSC on/off?

No, I left DSC on but it was really erratic, to be honest. The LSD kicking in also felt REALLY weird, like a jerking motion going full throttle up a right hand hill. But the DSC light would flash in weird places.

As for brakes, you DON'T need a premium setup. In my VW, all I had were stock rotors, Hawk Blue racing pads, SS brake lines and ATE racing fluid and my brakes were absolutely solid no matter how hard I pushed them. (BTW, we were NOT RACING - it's a high performance driving event www.scda1.com)

The suspension held up well. One of the reasons I got this car was to have a decent setup that didn't shake my infant daughter's head off. So, I have to compromise there. My VW had a set of coils and a rear sway bar and was AWESOME. This car needs a rear bar, but I don't think anyone makes one yet, do they??

20070529_NHIS_IN2_6004.jpg

20070529_NHIS_IN2_5980.jpg

20070529_NHIS_IN2_5534.jpg

20070529_NHIS_IN2_5515.jpg

20070529_NHIS_IN2_5494.jpg

20070529_NHIS_IN2_5475.jpg

20070529_NHIS_IN2_5459.jpg

Other cars in my run group...
20070529_NHIS_IN2_5424.jpg

20070529_NHIS_IN2_5435.jpg

20070529_NHIS_IN2_5434.jpg

20070529_NHIS_IN2_5410.jpg

gorgeous....
20070529_NHIS_IN2_5411.jpg

20070529_NHIS_IN2_5412.jpg

Just to blow your ego, this is a female driver!
20070529_NHIS_IN2_5461.jpg

20070529_NHIS_IN2_5477.jpg

20070529_NHIS_IN2_5507.jpg

Perhaps new track rims to accommodate the tires you want are in order. Hatchback makes it kinda convenient to toss em in the car and puttem on at the course, lol

Looks like a nice day on the course. Nice pics.

How did your brakes do?

I smoked the OEM brakes my first day i ran at NHIS with the BMWCCA

Were they running the chicane on the south side?

I ate up my tires pretty well up there, i was running the bridgestones that came on the car.

Dude Reallly Appreiciate The Pics, Would Love To See Video. Do You Have Any Mods? Cia, Exhuast , Exede , Etc.

Brakes sucked. They faded around the same time the tires began to overheat and lose grip rapidly. Felt very unsteady. I don't know what kind of crack the guys in the auto rags were smoking when they said the stock brakes and fluid were better than anything else. It was actually unnerving when the car would start doing weird things. I'd have to really slow down or drive through the pits to cool the car off. Very disappointing.

where are you located dcomiskey?? cool pics and looks like a helluva time... how did you get an invite to this as i would love to go to something like this and take my reg 3 out for some trackin

yeah but you have to realize where i live... lol even nhis is an all day event for me... there is a local autox club but its first weekend is going to be rained out...

then check clubs in Canada. there are some very cool clubs up there and some great tracks too - how about Mont Tremblant? I'm not sure which clubs run where but try:

http://www.na-motorsports.com/

http://www.thetrackschedule.com/

http://www.drivingevents.com/

this page lists tracks by location:
http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/RoadCourses.htmlhttp://www.drivingevents.com/resources/tracks.php

find a few near you and then find out which clubs run there. you can usually call the track and tell them you want info on clubs that run all-marque track days and see what they can tell you.

[edited b/c I forgot the best link]

Last edited:
there must be a good one for you here:

Eastern Canada

yellow.gif
Atlantic Motorsport Park Shubenacadie, Nova Scotia (updated 5/27/06)
yellow.gif
Autodrome St-Eustache St Eustache, Quebec (new 1/24/06)
yellow.gif
Autodrome St Felicien St Felicien, Quebec (new 1/24/06)
yellow.gif
Calabogie Motorsports Park Calabogie, Ontario (updated 4/7/07)
yellow.gif
Circuit Gilles Villeneuve Montreal, Quebec (new 1/23/06)
yellow.gif
Circuit Mont Tremblant Mont Tremblant, Quebec (updated 2/13/06)
yellow.gif
Circuit Ste-Croix Ste-Croix, Quebec (new 1/27/06)
yellow.gif
Mosport International Raceway Bowmanville, Ontario (updated 4/27/06)
yellow.gif
Sanair Motorsports Complex St. Pie, Quebec (updated 2/14/06)
yellow.gif
Shannonville Motorsport Park Bellville, Ontario (updated 1/20/06)
yellow.gif
Toronto Grand Prix Toronto, Ontario (new 1/22/06)
yellow.gif
Toronto Motorsports Park Cayuga, Ontario (new 1/17/06)
yellow.gif
Trois Rivieres Trois Rivieres, Quebec (updated 2/14/06)

Tsunami, they are all "all day" events. I live in SW CT and can get to NHIS in roughly 3+ hours. But, to make life a helluva lot easier, I saty overnight at a hotel the night before. They are all very close to the track. You can go low-rent (Red Roof Inn) for about $50/night to Holiday Inn (my choice) for $120+. That way you don't have to get up at 3 am and rush to get there on time.

Hey Dcomiskey:

You ever run Watkins Glen? That is the best track around IMHO. About 4.5 hours from SW CT. I'm going with the NY BMW Chapter on June 18-19. If you're interested, I think they still have room and it'd be great to see some a MS3 there. If not, maybe I'll see you at Lime Rock later this year. I am tired of being the only non-Miata Mazda at track days.

I've been to WG once, but it was Oct 2005 and foggy and rainy. It sucked ass (some kid told me it was the third time he went in Oct and the weather was always bad). I was so bummed as it's just a phenomenal track and I can't wait to get back up there. They repaved it last fall, actually.

Not sure when I'll be able to go to another track day because of work. I have a VERY busy summer coming, so I haven't planned any more days yet. :(

Back