MS CAI Review

RHAGEL

Contributor
:
06' 3 Touring
I installed a MS CAI on Friday and had a chance to test it out this weekend. Overall impression: Waste of money. Actually all intakes I have had have been a waste of money. The increase in power is not noticable and there is a flat spot at 4k rpms. Not to mention that you definately lose some torque at low rpms. As far as the sound, I hate it. Engine noise sucks, exhaust noise is good. I have to say that this will be the last time I buy an intake.

On a different note, the engine seems to be smoother and there MAY be some top end power. It is hard to say because the intake is so damn noisy it may just be a placebo effect.

I have a feeling I am going to end up putting the stock intake back in at some point.

oh boy..

Im the oposite, I like Engine noise, and cant stand super loud exhaust noise. The world is a funny place.

I don't like super loud exhaust noise but a nice deep tone is nice. I had a Bosal on my Protege and was a little loud and the droning was rediculous. It is funny though how peoples opinios can be so different.

Update- I just did the TBG and the flat spot at 4k is now gone. I know everyone says that the TBG is harmless but I still have this feeling like it shouldn't be there. I hate messing with certain things in my car because of the warranty.

Well, nobody really responded to my post but I will give a one week update. I do actually think the intake adds a little bit of power and I guess it was a worthwhile investment. My biggest complaint was a flat spot at 4k rpms. I did the the throttle body ground and it was gone for 2 days. Now, I have a small flat spot at 3.2k, but not all the time. I don't know what it is but it feels like the engine "slips" for a second. I though maybe it had something to do with the variable timing or something. Does anyone have any ideas, or experience the same problem?

responded to ya on the other forums. Ive got a small bump at ~3k but nothing like I had with the simota sri. I think its the butterflies opening or something iirc. At first I didnt notice a difference with the AEM, but after a few days its seeming to pull a bit harder.

Back