MPG's

Here are my first five tanks:

1st: 41.9
2nd: 42.1
3rd: 45.6
4th: 44.3
5th: 44.6

AVG: 43.7
What's your method for getting such good mpg, or is it just an optimal drive like a 50 mph hwy commute every day?
I got 41.5 on my last tank in mixed driving, but my overall average is around 38.5.

What's your method for getting such good mpg, or is it just an optimal drive like a 50 mph hwy commute every day?
I got 41.5 on my last tank in mixed driving, but my overall average is around 38.5.

I just use some pretty basic hypermiling techniques...

-- Smooth Acceleration, Shift at 2900 RPMs
-- Coast to Red Lights, Stop Signs, Off-Ramp Exits
-- 65 mph on the highway... MAX!!!
-- Use AC only when the temps are insufferable (otherwise I always prefer fresh air to AC)

I just got 33.5mpg in city driving like I'm in a go-kart (at the rare times it's not stop and go) -- I love this car!

I just got 33.5mpg in city driving like I'm in a go-kart (at the rare times it's not stop and go) -- I love this car!

I'm seeing numbers like this too (even at only 800+ miles on the OD). I've had my three fill-ups average between 34.5 and 32.5 @ 95-100% city driving (calculated by gallons used per miles driven, not by the trip computer).

I gave this a try on my last fuel up and I noticed i got 35.5MPG by shifting around 2800rpms(VS the 4k RPM shifting) , and trying to coast when i can, but if i can average 35MPG im happy

Ok so a while back someone said coasting burns more gas than leaving it in gear.
SO i tried both methods.
coasting is gear is BS. Doing it that way dropped my MPG's significantly, when i filled up and did the math i was only averaging about 36.8mpg, which isnt bad I drove it almost empty and only got around 330 miles out of that tank.
Last week i filled up again, and just this mroning into work my E started blinking with the 1 sqaure. right now i am sitting at 368 miles on that tank which is a 1st for me and i am very pleased with that result. I am sure if i was behind few semi's i would have had even better MPG's. *
So to sum it up from my perspective,
Coasting out of gear is good, down hills, stop signs, clover leafs
Low rpm shifts
65-70 mph hwy driving max
and Drafting*
I am excited to go an fill up after work to do the math, I should be getting right around 41 or more mpg on this tank.
I have to say that I dont shift at 2900 rpm, i shift around 3500. If i was to drop down to 2900 it would most likely improve my overall mpgs.

Update:

I'm approaching 20k miles and am still on the original air filter and tires (and haven't had an oil change since 15k) - both of these will be fixed next month and I'll probably run injector cleaner for good measure. Still picking up several tanks above 40mpg, especially when I keep it at a solid 62-65 on the freeway and don't rev beyond 3k around town. Lifetime average is 39.1 mpg so far; would like to get it to 40 but is probably going to require crazy hypermiling techniques or pumping the tires to unsafe pressures.

I'm starting to fall in love with this little car all over again - was considering replacing it with a CR-Z, but I'm getting identical mileage for $6k less (and a backseat to boot!)

Well, managed to get 41 MPG on two consecutive (well, really close anyways) fillups. American highways+gas seem to do wonders for fuel economy.

If anybody gets the chance to drive down a 7000' mountain any time soon, make sure to reset your MPG meter at the top if you have a Touring. It was pretty funny watching my "mileage remaining" display keep going up! 74MPG on the way down mostly made up for the about 15-20mpg I got going up, thanks to using 3rd and 4th quite a bit on the steep parts.

If anybody gets the chance to drive down a 7000' mountain any time soon, make sure to reset your MPG meter at the top if you have a Touring. It was pretty funny watching my "mileage remaining" display keep going up! 74MPG on the way down mostly made up for the about 15-20mpg I got going up, thanks to using 3rd and 4th quite a bit on the steep parts.

Come down from Donner Summit? :p

Update: >25,000 miles average 32 mpg including some autocross/track days. My car gets flogged regularly. Highest is 42 mpg. I shift high up on the RPM and enjoy the VVT kicking in. Fun car.

Update: averaging between 39-40mpg (stick) mostly highway. 1.5 years old and 47k miles.

Almost had the car 1 year now and just hit 16k miles, been averaging 32-36mpg lately ,been doing more highway driving lately :)

Update: 32 MPG

M2FE20130121.gif

What do you think?

This includes a few Autocross events. I do not hypermile (spelling?). I shift at redline quite often. The low numbers are due to heavy city driving and short trips (<5 miles). This is much better than my DGF's 1989 Civic Si. I bet that if we got rid of Ethanol we could be in the 45mpg zone much easier.

Last edited:
I will update my oil sample report tomorrow if I get around to it. I will post one copy here and one in the engine section.

I've been getting maybe 34mpg this week, down from my normal 39-40mpg. I 100% blame it on the fact that the daily high temperatures here in MN have been 0 degrees F for the last couple days. Our cars don't like it when it's below freezing outside.

View attachment 200528

What do you think?

This includes a few Autocross events. I do not hypermile (spelling?). I shift at redline quite often. The low numbers are due to heavy city driving and short trips (<5 miles). This is much better than my DGF's 1989 Civic Si. I bet that if we got rid of Ethanol we could be in the 45mpg zone much easier.

I'm getting 33 as a rough average on mine. My old 89 si got the same numbers with roughly the same driving style. This one though has more potential to get better numbers since the tech is a lot more updated/smarter than mpfi of the 80's.

MPG's is a funny thing. I've gone as low as 25 with a lot of high reving fun and all city km's (Which is still a good mpg for city). But I've also gone as high as 40 when I went all highway at 100-110km/hr.

Now I've also done a lot of testing and found that there was a benefit to using 91 octane vs 87. I won't bore you with all the stats and numbers but in short if you drive ~1000km a month you'll save around 80$ a year. Small benefit, but you will go farther on a single tank (Most I've gone was 520km) and it's a cleaner fuel. Not to mention every 6,000km you get an extra tank of fuel for free (~40$).

This is based on 6 fill ups for reg and 6 for supreme. Each tank I kept track of how many highway/city kms I had done and compaired tanks of similar ratios. In every situation the supreme went farther and with a difference of only $.06 per liter it's worth it.

In short though my average is about 35.

Hmm, looks like I'm going to try and experiment with this as well then.

During the summer I was averaging around 36 MPG with about 80% 65mph+ highway travel

Now with the same commute I'm around 33.5 or so.

Latest posts

Back