MPG's

little update on mine....

seeing 33.2 mpg... driving conditions are a 10 mile roundtrip commute with a high speed limit of 40. averaging 17mph according to the computer

4,245 mi on the odometer

Just drove to LA and back (400mi-ish) and the car's doing better on the freeway than I'd thought. I filled up right as I left yesterday, drove it about 320mi, and when I filled it it took around 8.5 gal. That works out to around 37MPG, which is pretty dang good, and way better than what the car has been claiming.

Is my low mpg maybe because I've had to have the air conditioner on for pretty much the whole time?

Is my low mpg maybe because I've had to have the air conditioner on for pretty much the whole time?

I think it's more likely to be driving conditions than A/C. Our cars seem like A/C actually doesn't affect them too badly, but a lot of accelerating and decelerating really hurts MPG. Highway speeds make a huge difference, too, like 37MPG at 70 turns into 29 or so at 80.

2 years and almost 24,000 miles later, I'm still averaging about 27-29mpg in my Mazda2. I really hoped for more outta this car. I'll probably keep it a bit longer but I'm itching to trade it in...so done.

Not sure how you do it man, I just can't seem to get the car to dip below 30MPG after break-in. Other than the short-trips when the engine is cold.

I'm rocking 33.5 mpg and staying steady. Keep in mind that is highway driving @ 100 miles a day doin 80 mph and tearing up the back roads on the weekends! Im right around 16k miles on it now.

I've got a hair over 2k miles on my '12 and so far I've yet to get below 33mpg and thats with mostly spirited driving and lots of traffic lights to and from work. On the last tank I had about 2.5 hours of mountain roads with no stopping and light traffic thrown in, and I got 35mpg. I have no doubt once its broken in that 38-39 should be attainable on a tank of full hwy or mountains. From the "info" display there's been numerous days of 37+ mpg average already. I've found the "info" display can run 1-2 mpg high so I always calculate at fill-ups to double check. With mostly normal (with my heavy foot) day-to-day driving the "info" readout has been spot on at 33-34 mpg.

Not sure how you do it man, I just can't seem to get the car to dip below 30MPG after break-in. Other than the short-trips when the engine is cold.

I know this is my leading cause but I have an ATX. Don't get me wrong, I've attained 32-35mpg in the car but that's when I'm doing 100% highway driving (road trips and such). When I do a mix of highway and city driving, I'm between 27-29mpg. I always get my oil changed on time, always use Shell gas, don't have a lead foot at all etc. It's just whatever I guess.

I only have about 350 miles on the car so far, but I have averaged 36.5mpg according to the trip computer. I do a lot of Highway driving, I sometimes avg 42mpg easily at 70mph.

an update

I now have 1700 miles on it and according to the trip computer I avg 37mpg, which is 80% highway 20% city driving. On the highway I still manage to avg 42mpg

With driving in the city, I find it saves a little bit of gas when I shift from 1st to 3rd. I skip gears many times and it seems to really do save gas.

When I hypermile my car;I do it a lot everywhere I drive; I average about 38 to 39mpg. Now with the AC on im getting about 34 to35mpg. I love my Mazda, it might be slow but damn, do I save a lot on gas.

I don't have a Mazda 2, but I have a 96 Mazda Protege. 92hp, 96 torque, 1.5L engine, 2378 lbs. Nearly identical in every way to the Mazda 2. It was rated at 32mpg city and 39mpg highway. I drive it very hard and redline it often. And my trunk is always filled with junk. Mostly city driving. I average 27mpg.

Now that I've got around 3k miles I finally took a road trip down to Jekyll Island. Averaged up to 38.5 mpg with the wife, kids, and trunkload of gear. Drove 70-75mph mostly, and stayed behind large vehicles when possible. I noticed mpg falls considerably as speeds get above 70. I also noticed the trip computer is a bit optimistic. 38.5 turns to 36.5 when I calculate at the pump.

One thing thats great about this car....I can drive slower and stay entertained playing around with car positioning (behind other vehicles) while watching the realtime mpg readout.

I got 41.9 on my first tank. That's doing the whole trip divided by gallons calculation. Trip computer showed 48.2, though. (boom01)

Trip computer is always a bit optimistic. I dont pay much attention to it, i do the calculation of total miles driven devided by how many gallons it takes to fill up.
This guy that gets 27-29 mpg is he living somewhere up in the mountains where the air is a bit thinner? maybe that is the cause of his poor MPG's?
I just find it hard to believe that a two gets that poor gas milage. His driving style must be "because Racecar" and that could be a factor too.
Never mind, he lives in florida accoriding to his profile so never mind the mountain part.....

(whistle)

^^ i just use fuelly...lately have been getting crappy mpg...i do average of 80% city (i use my 2 for pizza deliverys so its stop and go a bit ) its still averaging about 31 , but have had a few that were less than30

So I figured out that the trip computer is actually pretty pessimistic depending on driving conditions. I reset mine the other day, and it was averaging a good 34.5MPG until I idled in the In-n-out drive through for 20 mins. I think the computer goes by time, and takes whatever current MPG you're getting at each time interval. I probably used hardly any gas idling, but it took the shown average way down because the computer saw 0 MPG several cycles in a row. I'm going to start using fuelly, and I'll bet that I'm actually getting closer to 35 per tank.

I don't have a Mazda 2, but I have a 96 Mazda Protege. 92hp, 96 torque, 1.5L engine, 2378 lbs. Nearly identical in every way to the Mazda 2. It was rated at 32mpg city and 39mpg highway. I drive it very hard and redline it often. And my trunk is always filled with junk. Mostly city driving. I average 27mpg.

A DX as well. Power windows and door locks? What's that? Lol. I used to own a 96' LX. Funny how that car got better mileage than my new 2, lol.

Here are my first five tanks:

1st: 41.9
2nd: 42.1
3rd: 45.6
4th: 44.3
5th: 44.6

AVG: 43.7

Latest posts

Back