MPG's

Hmm, looks like I'm going to try and experiment with this as well then.

During the summer I was averaging around 36 MPG with about 80% 65mph+ highway travel

Now with the same commute I'm around 33.5 or so.

I'm experiencing the exact same thing.

I recently went from averaging about 40 MPG down to 34. But fun-per-gallon has gone up drastically. My right foot has gotten the upper hand over my wallet lately.

I'm down to 28-29 from a steady 34 summer/early fall average for 100% city driving. Winter gas? Lower tire pressure? Stupid-ridiculous traffic? A little of everything...

MPG's is a funny thing. I've gone as low as 25 with a lot of high reving fun and all city km's (Which is still a good mpg for city). But I've also gone as high as 40 when I went all highway at 100-110km/hr.

Now I've also done a lot of testing and found that there was a benefit to using 91 octane vs 87. I won't bore you with all the stats and numbers but in short if you drive ~1000km a month you'll save around 80$ a year. Small benefit, but you will go farther on a single tank (Most I've gone was 520km) and it's a cleaner fuel. Not to mention every 6,000km you get an extra tank of fuel for free (~40$).

This is based on 6 fill ups for reg and 6 for supreme. Each tank I kept track of how many highway/city kms I had done and compaired tanks of similar ratios. In every situation the supreme went farther and with a difference of only $.06 per liter it's worth it.

In short though my average is about 35.

Well, after two tank fulls of premium fuel, my fuel economy did significantly increase, but sadly with the difference of usually about $0.40/gallon or $0.10/liter, I would have to average about 38-39 mpg for it to start being beneficial for me. I averaged about 37.5 mpg on premium, and it worked out to just about break even or within a small fraction of a cent/mile difference overall. I'll likely test this again during the summer, perhaps I may see 40+ even though I can't really make sense of why we're seeing such a significant difference with the sole difference being fuel grade.

Updated Fuel Economy

M2FE20130205.gif

How is this?

When I pulled off the lot today the avg. fuel comsum was at 22.1, have it up to 27.2, interested to see how high I can get it over the coming months/years.

Back