motorcraft tranny lube

Mi-TMS3

i've read about speed3 owners using motorcraft xt-m5-qs tranny fluid with great results but has anyone used motorcraft xt-75w90-qgt? its 75w-90 like the xt-m5-qs but its labeled "premium synthetic transaxle lubricant" and is used in the ford gt tranny. i'm just curious if anyone knows if there is any difference. regular price on this stuff is about $35/qt but parts guy at local ford dealer gave me a deal at $25/qt

Basically just the weight is different there. Don't get the 75w90 though, it eats through the bronze synchros. Stick with the xt-m5-qs.

i've read about speed3 owners using motorcraft xt-m5-qs tranny fluid with great results but has anyone used motorcraft xt-75w90-qgt? its 75w-90 like the xt-m5-qs but its labeled "premium synthetic transaxle lubricant" and is used in the ford gt tranny. i'm just curious if anyone knows if there is any difference. regular price on this stuff is about $35/qt but parts guy at local ford dealer gave me a deal at $25/qt

XT-75W-90QGT is a GL-5 oil; XT-M5-QS is a GL-4. The Mazda service manual states that both GL-4 and GL-5 oils are acceptable. I suppose the only down side to trying XT-75W90-QGT would be the expense.

I just hear from other members not to use a gear oil or 75w90. Not from personal experience do I know this, just word of mouth.

Both the owners manual and the factory service manual call for a 75W-90 viscosity gear oil; the OM specs GL-4 while the FSM specs both GL-4 and GL-5.

Not that expensive when you factor in a tranny replacement....this is good juice. You get what you pay for...

i just got through changing the tranny fluid and took her for a drive. for normal driving it doesn't feel any different. but the fluid from the factory only had 22k miles and drained crystal clear and clean so it still had some life left. as for the dreaded 2nd to 3rd gear powershift, i didnt have any problems. we'll see how it goes

i've already put a couple hundred miles on the lube and i've noticed now that there's a high/low whining noise during slow tight turns (u-turns and such). has me a little concerned as i do not know what it could be. i don't think there's rubbing of any sort so i think it's internal. never had/heard the noise beforehand

If the ms3 has limited slip diff it should need an additive or friction modifier...
During turns your diff lets the inside wheel rotate slower than the outside,
this is when you will hear the diff working (ie... U turns)...

I use royal purple 75w90, but i just drive a regular protege...

That's a negative, sir. The MS3 has a cone-type diff and does NOT need a friction modifier. FM is for plate type LSDs.

I used a touch of it to quiet the LSD after installing Red Line MT 90 but, it does not require it.

That's a negative, sir. The MS3 has a cone-type diff and does NOT need a friction modifier. FM is for plate type LSDs.

I used a touch of it to quiet the LSD after installing Red Line MT 90 but, it does not require it.

At last someone talking some sense!

To the others, the noise is normal, live with it.
If you cannot live with it, friction modifier will make the noise go away, but then your LSD is not working to its full potential, plus your syncros will not work as well.

If friction modifier was recommended it would mention it in the Mazdaspeed Shop manual.
Friction Modifier is not called for.
If you want to use FM to make the noise go away, it will work, but be aware there can be the negative side effects I mentioned.

Last edited:
At last someone talking some sense!

To the others, the noise is normal, live with it.
If you cannot live with it, friction modifier will make the noise go away, but then your LSD is not working to its full potential, plus your syncros will not work as well.

If friction modifier was recommended it would mention it in the Mazdaspeed Shop manual.
Friction Modifier is not called for.
If you want to use FM to make the noise go away, it will work, but be aware there can be the negative side effects I mentioned.

so am i in the clear? cus i was under the impression that this was supposed to be pretty good juice. especially since it cost me 25 bux a quart. is it possible that having too much fluid in there could be the cause. cus i put all 3quarts instead of the specified 2.6 but i read about another forum member who also fit 3 qts in his tranny and he had no complaints

so am i in the clear? cus i was under the impression that this was supposed to be pretty good juice. especially since it cost me 25 bux a quart. is it possible that having too much fluid in there could be the cause. cus i put all 3quarts instead of the specified 2.6 but i read about another forum member who also fit 3 qts in his tranny and he had no complaints

So long as your car was level, and not still jacked up in the front when you filled it it will be fine.
Mine took about 2.8 qts
That is why they put the fill hole on the side... so any excess can drain out.
If you are worried, just pull the fill plug and let any excess drain out.

Back