Motorcraft Fl-400S oil filter

:
2007 Mazda CX-9 Touring
I was wondering they used to recommend this filter for the cx-9. Now when I look it up on the auto parts store and even on rock auto it is not on the list anymore. It appears for other vehicles but no longer for the 9. Is there some sort of issue with this filter and the 9 that caused the auto parts stores and online not to recommend it anymore. All input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. (confused)

The FL-400S filter has a different thread than the FL-500S. The 400 has a 3/4"-16 threads per inch thread whereas the 500 has 22mm (.866 inches) x 1.5mm per thread, thread. I have been using the 400 for the last several oil changes so it fits my 2012 CX-9. There is no way the 400 would fit the larger filter boss that a 500 would require.

I have been using the 400 also. That is why I am wondering why they don't list ( recommend it ) for the cx-9 anymore. It is listed for other vehicles just not the 9. On another forum a person with a cx-9 said that when he used the FL-400S that he would leak oil. Could that be the reason?

I just checked Auto Zone, Advanced Auto and Rock Auto. All three came up with the 400.

That's funny, the 2007 doesn't show it but the 2008 and up does. I know that the engine in the 2008 and up is 3.7, but isn't it the same engine as the 3.5?. Also the other filters for the 3.7 that are listed are the same with the 3.5 on rock auto. Why are the other filters the same but the motorcraft is only listed for 2008 and newer. Any thoughts or ideas?

I have been using the 400s for a while now and no problems so far. I would think with the motor being a Ford and the filter being Motorcraft it was made for it. I wouldn't stress to much about it.

If this is the filter you have been using without problems, I don't see what the issue is...most of the time the oil filter leaks due to installer error.

Back