more TOMTOM issues, anyone else?

:
Mazda CX-5 Touring w/bose-tech
been having this issue for awhile, submitted a question on tomtoms support site finally, here's what i sent

There are two problems I've been having for awhile
first is when doing a voice search for poi it now shows a list of 'closest' pois (which is a great improvement from one of my earlier complaints that it just started driving)
but the problem now is that it just shows the poi name and the distance, no street or city info displayed on screen for each item in the list so theres still no good way to know which one you want to select. ( pic1.jpg)

secondly,
it'll often search for the correct poi 'home depot' or 'bed bath and beyond' (pic2.jpg) for instance and it'll almost always come back with 'no poi found' (pic3.jpg) even though they exist if you search for them using text on screen while stopped. (pic4.jpg)

pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg

I've been having problems with the voice. It will lower the radio volume but doesn't talk. Once I pull the card out and put back in, I may have the voice working for part of a trip but then it stops again. I'm meaning to go back to the dealer but haven't had the time.

Try updating it, there was a software update (the actual app for the car itsel) recently. I've been using tomtom since 2007 never had problems with it as long as you keep the maps up to date.

I agree it should show the street. Sometimes a city has more than one of a store and you can't see which one you are selecting.

I've also had it say no poi found when searching by name, but the store shows up if I search by category. The problem is the category is so broad - all restaurants, for example, when you want all Japanese restaurants - that you end up having pages of poi's to search through to find the item you want.

And, of course, a passenger can't manually input if the car is moving.

Try updating it, there was a software update (the actual app for the car itsel) recently. I've been using tomtom since 2007 never had problems with it as long as you keep the maps up to date.
the app is up to date(latest release 817), i'm not paying for maps though, tomtom can go f themselves in that regard, 500 bucks for this piece of junk and it doesn't include lifetime maps like they're top of the line free standing ones that cost considerably less...

I agree it should show the street. Sometimes a city has more than one of a store and you can't see which one you are selecting.

I've also had it say no poi found when searching by name, but the store shows up if I search by category. The problem is the category is so broad - all restaurants, for example, when you want all Japanese restaurants - that you end up having pages of poi's to search through to find the item you want.

And, of course, a passenger can't manually input if the car is moving.
yeah street name is fine, or better still have it scroll teh street and city in the list
totally agree with you about the subcategories, restaurants and stores/shopping should both have them at the very least, have been complaining to mazda and tomtom about that for almost a year now...

My voice recognition rate dropped to almost 0 when I did my last update in December (to get rid of "STOPPING VOICE CONTROL").

I did find this guide on Tomtom's site, which might be helpful: http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/Mazda_Navigation_System_NB1_non_LIVE/mazda_nb1_voicerecognition/MazdaNB1_VoiceRecognition_Guide.pdf

Subject
TomTom: voice search problems

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Daniel A (2nd Line)) 03/12/2013 07:03 PM
Dear Mr stromdriver,

Thank you for your patience, this situation has been tested now with other devices and seems to be a general condition in the Voice Recognition file, we are working to improve it in our next application.

Please bare with us until this update goes thorugh, I promise we will keep you posted

Should you require any further assistance, or have any questions or comments, please respond back to me from this email.

With Best Regards,

Daniel A.
TomTom Customer Support Team

Thanks for sharing.

I realize this is a new model, but when something hasn't worked for almost a year, and you only have a 3 year lease, it's been busted for 1/3 of the car's useful life.

On the bright side, I'm only stuck with CX-FAIL for 2 more years, which has to be a blessing.

I did a parked, no motion, on screen POI search yesterday. I searched for a BEST BUY in PATERSON, NJ, while I was in PARAMUS, NJ. The list of BEST BUY results screen appeared, with a mileage distance to each from within Paterson, since that was my searched city. I selected the first one, with the closest mileage. There was then another INFO button available, when INFO was pressed it would show the address of the BEST BUY POI selected. That does seem like a lot of steps, and the address would be helpful on the initial POI RESULT PAGE. I have never tried this via voice while in motion.
I do find the voice recognition to work really well when I say the correct commands without all the cursing.

Last edited:
Back