Mods to improve gas milage?

Justin2129

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
I did a search and couldn't find anything about mods that will improve your fuel economy. Are there any besides new plugs and air filter, or the usual things a driver can do like keeping the windows up and AC off, and having a light foot?

Last edited:
ScangaugeII.
http://www.scangauge.com/

Real time fuel economy display helps change driver behaviour. Driving style makes the biggest difference.

The next easiest thing would probably be a grill block but I personally don't like to compromise my car's cooling system for fuel economy. Plus most DIY grill blocks look like crap.

Head to Ecomodder forums for more ideas:
http://ecomodder.com/

lol weight reduction!!! remove all the paneling, carpet, passenger seats, spare tire, a/c and power steering

throw ur wife or gf, and friends through the window and u will ose a few hundred lol. i have noticed i get more mileage out of my car if there is less gas in it. idk maybe its placebo but my tank will be at 3/4 full and i'll get 300 miles out of it. if the tank is full i get 315 if i'm lucky.

throw ur wife or gf, and friends through the window and u will ose a few hundred lol. i have noticed i get more mileage out of my car if there is less gas in it. idk maybe its placebo but my tank will be at 3/4 full and i'll get 300 miles out of it. if the tank is full i get 315 if i'm lucky.

315 if you're lucky?! I'm lucky if I can get 280 from a full tank, and I use Shell. (confused)

Keep your tires at the recommended air pressure, get lightweight wheels, keep the windows and sunroof closed and rolled up, don't use A/C, and drive with a light foot.

Keep your tires at the recommended air pressure, get lightweight wheels, keep the windows and sunroof closed and rolled up, don't use A/C, and drive with a light foot.

+1. simple rules to follow. I average 350 off every tank. tires dont need to be filled all that often, but it kills gas mileage like crazy, not to mention if you let it go way too long, you might end up needing new tires.

Hotter the intake charge temp, the leaner it's gonna run. A hot air intake works wonders for me in the winter. I take it off for the warmer months though.

5w-30 oil or lighter, less power loss from pumping oil.

Someone makes replacement 5th gear that has better OD.

315 mile? 280? Good grief. I get high 300's to low 400's.

Hotter the intake charge temp, the leaner it's gonna run. A hot air intake works wonders for me in the winter. I take it off for the warmer months though.

Everyone drives in different environments and has different driving habits, not to mention not everyone's car is the same. With my heavy ass MZ3 wheels I average 30MPG between city and highway, with a decently light foot. My GF says I drive like an old lady.

I have a really hard time believing that... is that drafting a semi truck at 50 mph on the freeway for the entire tank of gas?

I did notice that there was a huge difference in mpg depending upon whether it was winter or summer grade gasoline I was using. During this past winter, I was lucky if I hit 280 miles on a tank. Now, I easily hit 300-315 miles with no changes to the vehicle, driving style or the typical driving route.

Remove the starter?

Wait nvm you won't get any miles doing that but you'll save lots of gas.

so far the mp3 ecu has increased my mpg according to the gauge. before i would fill up and hit around 100 miles when the needle went to 3/4 tank. today i did 130+ before the needle got to 3/4 tank left. When i filled up this morning i showed 29mpg with the first mp3 ecu tank. but now its warmer and not pouring rain so things are looking up!

warm weather and summer grade gas does wonders for my mpg. i use to get like 23 mpg mostly city a month ago, now i get 30mpg with the nice weather and summer gas.

I know i will get hell for this, but i also notice that i get better mileage when i romp on her a bit. im not talking redline or anything, but take her to 4k or so and shes gets better mileage for me. might sound stupid but the faster you get to 5th the less gas you use.

Also, thanks to my vac gauge and scangauge ive learned a lot about when you're using more gas than you think you would be. two examples come to mind.

first, you acutally use less gas (and 0hp!) if you leave your car in gear (manuals only that is) while rolling than you do if you were to roll in neutral. so if your going down a hill and u pop it into neutral, you're actually wasting more gas than you would if you were just to leave it in gear, no matter what gear it is too! (as long as its under redline that is!) the drivetrain generates the power for the engine to keep going, so its creating its own energy. but if its in neutral, its acutally using about 2-3 hp just to keep the engine running, which obviously = more gas.

Which brings me to number 2. RPM is not really what matters when it comes to mpg, its throttle position. when cruising on the highway, when im at a higher RPM, it takes less effort for the car to create power. so that means I do not have to open up the throttle as much to pass or just keep going from that matter. yet, when at a lower rpm, it takes longer, the car needs more power and therefor uses more gas. So if I am at 45 mph on a road and want to get to 50, if im in 3rd the car is at lets guess 4800rpm(?), to get to 50 i only have to open the throttle up a bit and i will get there faster (1-2 seconds). yet, if im in 5th at around 2500rpm and want to go to 50, its gonna require me to push down further on the gas and is gonna take like 7 seconds in our car (sad :( ).

hopefully this makes sense!

first, you acutally use less gas (and 0hp!) if you leave your car in gear (manuals only that is) while rolling than you do if you were to roll in neutral. so if your going down a hill and u pop it into neutral, you're actually wasting more gas than you would if you were just to leave it in gear, no matter what gear it is too! (as long as its under redline that is!) the drivetrain generates the power for the engine to keep going, so its creating its own energy. but if its in neutral, its acutally using about 2-3 hp just to keep the engine running, which obviously = more gas.

Which brings me to number 2. RPM is not really what matters when it comes to mpg, its throttle position. when cruising on the highway, when im at a higher RPM, it takes less effort for the car to create power. so that means I do not have to open up the throttle as much to pass or just keep going from that matter. yet, when at a lower rpm, it takes longer, the car needs more power and therefor uses more gas. So if I am at 45 mph on a road and want to get to 50, if im in 3rd the car is at lets guess 4800rpm(?), to get to 50 i only have to open the throttle up a bit and i will get there faster (1-2 seconds). yet, if im in 5th at around 2500rpm and want to go to 50, its gonna require me to push down further on the gas and is gonna take like 7 seconds in our car (sad :( ).

hopefully this makes sense!

the first one sounds more like the way my friend's VW turbo diesel engine works. when ur not pressing the gass, the only thing running the engine is the driveshaft moving so no gas is even going into the engine. lol

But ru trying to say that the car has to put more force into keeping the engine running while in idle compared to the flywheel beeing connected to a gear when its just pushing enough gas into the engine to keep the car alive?

Sry its just that the way u explained it made me think of turbo diesel engines lol

Back