Mods to improve gas milage?

He is correct about riding then engine down when slowing down vs putting int the clutch. I've validated this by watching the instantaneous mpg value on my scangauge. The reason is, most newer cars are smart enough to cut the fuel with a negative load, but when you put the clutch in, the engine is simply idling and needs *something* to keep running.

I can attest to the fact that the scangauge has helped me improve my driving habits. It almost becomes a game to see how quickly I can get it above 30 mpg average. When I first bought the car I got 26 mpg, with the scangauge, I'm now getting over 30.

Miles per tank averages about 380, sometimes breaking 400.

Other things that *may* help (still trying to confirm myself), k&n drop in air filter, synthetic engine and transmission oil.

Tire pressure, quality of gas, clean plugs, fuel filter, etc.

Lastly, I'm curious how much of an impact the factory rack makes. I didn't have one and am in the process (this weekend) of installing the factory rack. I suspect the rails will make almost no difference, don't know about the cross bars (which can be removed when not in use and replaced with filler plates).

I'd be curious to hear comments on the impact of replacing the header, down pipe, and adding a catback.

o yea i forgot my mods! I have a K&N CAI, Racing Beat cat-back, Tsudo header and a SLS catted midpipe. definitely have seen mileage go up with these mods. back in the day it was a miracle for me to get over 30 on anything outside of a long highway trip. last night alone i got 35mpg just driving about 10 miles, 50/50 city-highway split. i also use sythetic oil which may or may not help a bit but the bolt on are definitely the biggest help.

oh dont get me wrong i agree w/ you guys on riding the engine. i was just saying that it sounded like a tdi lol

Back