27. badges on rear
28. pads
29. rotors
30. calipers
31. paint
32. limited wiper control stick
33. clutch
34. tail lights?
35. front strut bar (only pro5 had it, not normal pro)
36. radiator is smaller
37.fuel pump
38. ECU

thats all i can think of off the top of my head someone keep adding to it/

The MazdaSpeed Proteg boasts an aggressive appearance and enhanced performance package, including an inter-cooled turbocharger, limited-slip differential, ultra low-profile tires, larger wheels, more powerful European-specification four-wheel disc brakes, and a 450-watt MP3 audio system by Kenwood.
Mazda selected Callaway Cars, Inc. to assist its engineers in taking the Mazda 2.0-liter DOHC I-4 engine to a much higher performance level. Pumping up the MazdaSpeed Proteg's heart rate is a Garrett T25 turbocharger system. The turbocharger incorporates the latest in aerodynamic and ball-bearing technology. With Garrett technology on board, the vehicle gains increased acceleration without sacrificing overall efficiency. Delivering an estimated 170 horsepower
solidly to the ground is a Tochigi Fuji Sangyo KK Super Limited-Slip Differential, assisted by larger 24mm driveshafts (versus 22mm for the standard Proteg). Mazda also added a heavy-duty clutch disc and pressure plate to handle the increased horsepower from the turbocharging system.
Racing Beat, a well-known tuner of Mazda vehicles for more than 30 years that has most recently created exciting performance and aftermarket products for the Proteg, MP3 and Miata, was asked by Mazda North American Operations' Research and Development team to lend its expertise in the creation of the new MazdaSpeed Proteg. As they did with the MP3, Mazda and Racing Beat focused their efforts on chassis refinement, suspension upgrades and a high-performance rear muffler. The result is a sport compact sedan with even better handling and overall performance than its predecessor.
The MazdaSpeed Proteg comes complete with Mazda- and Racing Beat-engineered front MacPherson struts, a strut tower brace, higher rate coil springs, re-valved Tokico dampers, and larger diameter stabilizer bar bracket and bushings. The rear suspension boasts Racing Beat-tuned independent struts with Twin Trapezoidal Links (TTL), coil springs and larger stabilizer bar. The special Tokico dampers on the 2003 MazdaSpeed Proteg have been designed to improve steering feedback and response, control excess chassis motion and keep the tires planted firmly on the road surface. The twin-tube low-pressure design uses a multistage variable-aperture sandwich-valve system consisting of precision spring plates and angle-drilled piston ports. This sophisticated oil-flow-management system provides just the right amount of resistance at a wide variety of suspension motions and velocities.
Japan's premier performance wheel manufacturer, Racing Hart, developed its first set of Mazda-exclusive alloy wheels for the Mazda MP3 in 2001. For the MazdaSpeed Proteg, Racing Hart has developed an entirely new wheel, another exclusive 17x7-inch five-spoke design in alloy with Aluminum Super Silver finish. The Racing Harts roll on Bridgestone Potenza RE040 215/45ZR17 uni-directional

in all of this they forgot to forge the rods and pistons. I'd trade a lot of those mods for some forged rods and pistons.

03 MSPs (black and spicey orange) came with fog lights. 03.5 had an extra front lip and no fogs (titanium, silver, blue, yellow msps)

1. pro5 bumper + fogs
2. swaybars front + rear
3. tokico blues
4. racing beat springs
5. kenwood sound
6.lsd
7. axles
8. all speakers + deck
9. steering wheel
10. wheels
11. tires
12. exhaust
13. spoilers
14. seats
15. sills
16. turbo
17. exhaust manifold
18. IC pipes
19. IC
20. air intake / box / callaway elbo
21. side mirrors
22. gauges
23. shifter
24. shift knob
25. rear lip
26. front black air splitter thing on bumper
27. badges on rear
28. pads
29. rotors
30. calipers
31. paint
33. clutch
34. tail lights?
36. radiator is smaller
37.fuel pump
38. ECU

thats all i can think of off the top of my head someone keep adding to it/

34. tail lights? yes, the tail lights have a rose tint over the reverse light portion

Wow i did not know the tails were different. I personally think the 3.5's got the bad seats and stuff, i love the mesh in my 03. no love for the 3.5 seats :(

Wow i did not know the tails were different. I personally think the 3.5's got the bad seats and stuff, i love the mesh in my 03. no love for the 3.5 seats :(

Yeah the difference in the tail lights is laughable. I always thought that it was funny that it was even mentioned in the brochure. I don't remember any difference between the 03 and 03.5 seats (uhm) It has been 5 years since I've been in an 03 though.

ah, I forgot about that. The only thing I could remember was the stitching being a different.

1. pro5 bumper + fogs 03's; pro 5 bumper and new front lip 03.5
2. swaybars front + rear
3. tokico blues
4. racing beat springs
5. kenwood sound w/ pocket below radio
6. lsd
7. axles
8. all speakers + sub and amp deck (speakers in rear doors)
9. steering wheel
10. wheels
11. tires
12. exhaust
13. spoilers
14. seats
15. sills
16. turbo
17. exhaust manifold
18. IC pipes
19. IC
20. air intake / box / callaway elbo
21. side mirrors
22. gauges
23. shifter
24. shift knob
25. rear lip
26. front black air splitter thing on bumper
27. badges on rear
28. pads
29. rotors
30. calipers
31. paint
33. clutch - upgraded pressure plate
34. tail lights
36. radiator is smaller
37.fuel pump
38. ECU
39. side skirts
40. antenna in rear glass
41. MSP engine cover
42. side molding delete
43. seats and stitching on shift boot
44. floor mats?
45. Main Bearing support
46. Oil cooler
47. headlights

Last edited:
I'm going to guess they counted every single part, like front bumper, each side skirt, rear lip, spoiler instead of saying body kit or something. Maybe they even counted things like the wastegate and the s/j pipes, haha. 1000 seems sort of absurd, not that I don't love the car though.

Back