Mileage just doesn't add up right...

M

my3needsaname

I did a search to try and find answers before starting this thread, and hopefully this is the place to put it. But...

Alright, Monday will be one week since I bought my car. Now when I bought it, I took it home with 82-83 miles on it. I got in and reset both trip computers which had around 1.5-2 miles, which puts the odometer at 82-83. Now I am finally going to fill up soon and I looked at both my trips which read 244.8 and my odometer read 259. I thought that this couldn't possibly be right...wouldn't this compute to an 81-83 mile difference? Now, the trip mileage seems to be right on the money since there's possibly 70 miles remaining on the tank and I watched the mileage turn over whereas both the trip would hit the .8 mark and the odometer would turn over another mile. As I drove along I noticed that the mileage turned over a little sower or the trip turned over a little faster each mile that .8 mark went by.

Now my question is, how many miles has anybody gone on 3/4 of a tank, am I right on the money for 3/4 of a tank of gas?
Also, has anybody had this happen to them? And what was the remedy?

Thanks.
For those who don't know, I have a 2008.5 Mazda3 Grand Touring

Just to make sure I got this right, the bottom line of all that is that it appears that your two trip meters are not incrementing at the same rate?

Next time you fill up, write down the mileage figures and compare them at the following fillup. Do the math and be sure. The computer can't be trusted to any great degree of accuracy with regards to mpg.

Last edited:
Well the point is that everything is recording like it should just that there should be an 81-83 mile difference between both trip computers and the odometer that just isn't.

the trip computer is not accurate, when you romp on it your mpg goes down quick and if u drive like a little old lady it actually gets close. I dont know maybe ur talkin about something else.

259 for 3/4 of a tank is right on. the light comes on when i approach 290s city and highway mix. but it turns on when i'm on 320s mostly highway.

the problem is that 244.8+81 doesn't equal 259.

The car had 81-82 miles on it before he reset his trip computer. so his Odometer read 81 miles. He then drove it 244.8 miles (according to the now reset trip computer) and his odometer now reads 259.

the trip computer is not accurate, when you romp on it your mpg goes down quick and if u drive like a little old lady it actually gets close. I dont know maybe ur talkin about something else.

I don't know why, but I find it hard that our trip computer would be inaccurate.

According to the Navi. in my MS3, it is right.

I think you maybe thinking of the range calculator which displayed on the center console LCD, not his odometer.

the problem is that 244.8+81 doesn't equal 259.

The car had 81-82 miles on it before he reset his trip computer. so his Odometer read 81 miles. He then drove it 244.8 miles (according to the now reset trip computer) and his odometer now reads 259.

I don't know why, but I find it hard that our trip computer would be inaccurate.

According to the Navi. in my MS3, it is right.

I think you maybe thinking of the range calculator which displayed on the center console LCD, not his odometer.

yeah. maybe you'r spinnin out cause ur ms3 has like a ton of hp that now your trip calculater is off. hehehe

lol @ blacksheepms3

But just to clarify totally,
Car bought - 81-83 miles on the odometer
After first tank of gas - 244.8 miles on trip A + B
" " - 259 miles on odometer
Main problem is that 244.8 + 81 does not = 259.

I just don't get how it could be off. I mean I'm going to the dealer for the new car first warranty repair on Saturday so they'll have a look to see what kind of party is happening in my trips and odometer cause they just aren't climaxing at the same time. And for everything to run smooth it all has to start and finish at the same time. IDK, they'll look and tell...now I can't wait until Saturday.

(rlaugh), that's what I've been thinking but if the miles run slow then my car won't get proper maintenance intervals and I'll wind up with a shot engine probably around what the odometer would say is 30,000 miles. And if they run fast then I'll be wasting money on service intervals the car doesn't need yet and nothing will be wrong, I'll just be wasting money. That's the only reason why I want them to have a look and see what kinda party is going on.

The other option is that the gas gauge is off and the trip runs too fast and because of that, it's causing the entire computer to calculate the miles too fast and I fill up when I don't need to but when I filled up last it took 9.6... gallons, so I think the gauge is right. After doing the math it should've taken 10.875 but cars have a gallon or two reserve making 9.6 right on the money.

We shall see on Saturday.

Last edited:
Oh, so it seems that it all works right...who woulda thunk it?

It was a scratch on the xenon ball of my right headlight, needed a new headlight.

My tint guy disconnected the spoiler brake light, had to be reconnected.

Glove box light was out, turns out you need the headlights on to have the glove box light come on.

The A/C does some weird thing where the fan speed will go down to like 1 and as I'm stopped the car will just kinda turn the A/C compressor on and off. But when it turns on the RPM's will lower to like 650 and then it will turn off and raise the RPM's back to 750 and the car will jerk forward a little, not enough to move the car with the brake on but you can feel it, my stupid ass dealer found nothing wrong but if you come across a thread entitled "your worst dealer experiences...service or not" that'll explain it much better.

Then they drained my battery, broke the battery tray, made a rattle in the hatch, and wasted almost all of my gas...while pissing me off to teh point that they were scared to talk to me. It was just a wonderful Monday morning...at my Mazda dealership.(chair)

Back