Mile Per Gallon!!!!

Run in manual mode on long trips. I did this and got 24-26 on my AWD CX9

how did that get you better mileage? In my experience the auto trans shifts way sooner than I do when running in manual mode. Plus, on long trips, your car is in 6th gear the entire time on the highway. Please elaborate if you could...

I still have never gotten better than 20mpg but that is probably because I drive fast on long trips.

I have been getting 14 MPG on my first couple tanks. Did you guys see an improvement in your mileage after the engine broke in? I'm up to about 800 miles on the car now.

no. I get worse mileage, because when it was new I tried to drive it easy to get better mileage. Now I am back to my old ways, and I am always late to something. I get 250 miles from full to empty now (right at the "E")
That works out to around 13 mpg or so, which is constant with all the other vehicles of this class according to MotorTrend's actual mileage tests.

I'm going to try synthetic oil after a couple thousand miles and hope that helps. Car and Driver got 17 or 18 on their 700 mile trip when they did their SUV comparison a couple months ago.

I just got my 08 GT AWD a couple of weeks ago and noticed that I was getting much better mileage on the first and second tank of gas (over 500 km per fill with about 1/4 tank). Now I have over 1,500 kms on it, I'm finding that I'm only getting around just over 400 km with when I get to 1/4 tank. Does premium gas make a difference?

the main difference now is the colder temps and the winter mix fuel. there are more additives in the winter, and the car has to run harder longer to warm up. for the last 8 months i have consistently gotten 18-20 mpg, last two tanks were at 16(in the cx-7). winter crap.

In my first week of ownership of my GT, I have measured 21 mpg with mostly highway driving. In my first week I have driven ~1,100 miles, which is my normal.

For the level of comfort and performance, not bad. My '05 Dodge Magnum RT (with the Hemi) that I have driven for the past 3 years averaged 19 mpg with the same driving pattern, so I am pleased.

Just got 17MPG on my last tank with a 100 mile highway trip along with my usual commute stop and go traffic. I guess there is some hope....

Just got 17MPG on my last tank with a 100 mile highway trip along with my usual commute stop and go traffic. I guess there is some hope....

I don't know, I think I've given up hope. Ours is probably 70/30 city/highway, best ever is 16.7. One tank all 55-65 highway returned a whopping 16.2. The gas gauge on this thing drops quickly...

For comparison, our 04 Pilot was always at least 19, usually 20-21 mostly stop and go.

5,500km travelled.
Using 98 or 95RON fuel.
Best mileage = 12.06l/100km (19.5mpg)
Worst mileage = 15.6l/100km (16.04mpg)
Average mileage = 13.35l/100km (17.68mpg) I think I got those conversions right.

Not too bad I don't think.... for a 2 tonne AWD SUV!

Cheers,
TTubrag.

With all due respect.

Hope you don't mind me calling B.S.

My thoughts initially too. That kind of mileage is clearly the exception, rather than the rule. But... to be fair... it's very achievable if you do the kind of driving that puts the ECU into a closed loop more often than not. ie: 80kph to 110kph on open roads, constant driving. Certainly not stop-start city/ suburban driving in my experience. Mind you... that goes for ANY car really.

Squidly,

still getting 19, now that it is winter? I am down to 15, I live in the western burbs in mpls, across the river from you.

I have 8500 miles on mine, hope it gets better.

regards,

Now that I am used to the car after 1 year I drive it the way the transmission is geared to be driven. Meaning I don't try to keep it shifting at 2000 RPM anymore. Gas is half the price that it was for a while, and since we are all using it up quick I might as well enjoy the car for a bit before gas jumps back up for good. We all know these large heavy cars are likely the last of their breed. The CX-9 is something we will turn into a legend for our grandkids. Anyway, I never totally floor it except maybe once or twice a tank, while entering a short on-ramp onto a highway. I drive 75% in suburbia out on Long Island NY and I now get 12mpg just about every tank.
I have accepted that I can only go about 230 miles on a tank, and the car is a lot more fun now to drive when you let it shift near its torque peaks. Only now do I appreciate what ZOOM ZOOM means! Yes, I proved once that O could get 18 to 19 mpg, but it was no fun watching priuses blow me away at each stoplight.

I didn't check it during the last cold-spell, but I imagine it dropped
under 19. I really try to drive like an old man to my MPG up.

I don't know, folks, I have been driving pretty normally and have never gotten below 19.5 and have gotten as much as 23 mpg in mixed urban freeway/rural freeway driving

No BS and I drive this car the way it was intended. Fun

One more time, as I described in another post:

We took a trip from Prescott (AZ) to the White Mountains. From 5200' over a 6000' mountain range, down through Jerome to the Verde Valley. ALL winding mountain road. Then through Sedona, and over to Payson. Again, almost all winding roads, other that a short 80mph stretch on I-17. Then Payson to Show Low at 6400'. And while there. we drove around town for 2 days seeing the sights. Then up to Sunrise Ski resort at 9000' and back. Then back to Show Low, and home the next day taking the same route home.
All the time, we had our 13.5 foot kayak on the roof as you see in the photos.

For the entire trip we averaged 22mpg. Home, to home.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 169
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 157
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 155
  • G.jpg
    G.jpg