Mile Per Gallon!!!!

I just filled up on my first tank. (My CX-9 AWD Touring is a week old!) I got 12.5 mpg; this was 100% suburb driving (car pools, etc.) Please tell me the mileage will improve after the engine breaks in (boom06)

Last edited:
This week my wife got 16.4 mpg (the last fillup it was 15.4 mpg). This is a mix of about probably about 60/40 to 70/30 city/hwy, AWD GT, with her and our 2 young kids in the back. She doesn't accelerate hard to floor the thing, so that's probably as good as it'll get (unless mpg improves after a couple thousand miles or so-she's at about 1000 miles on the odo).

I can see that if you are doing a lot of city driving. That just sucks though. Especially with gas prices going up... I don't get much better even in my approx. 3100 lbs car. I average around 22 MPG.

I have a Speed3 and a CX-9 and I'm quite happy with the gas mileage on both. Do you use premium fuel? The Speed3 gets 27-28 mpg on my daily work run. The previous car was a hatchback Ford Focus that did 30+ on the same run but this car is mucho funo. Now that mileage is mainly driving with fuel economy in mind. When I have fun it is 24 mpg.

The 9 with 4 people and luggage did 22 MPG on a highway trip. Finally fuel is a cheap part of the total cost of owning a car. Depreciation and upkeep are far more expensive. 15,000 miles per year @ 12mpg and $4.00 fuel is $5,000 per year. Wouldn't we all be happy with $5,000 per year depreciation? BTW @ 22mpg fuel cost is only $2727 per year.

Mike

Of course I use premium fuel --- the MS3 requires it. I have never seen better than 28 MPG even when driving hundreds of miles (about 300 to be exact) of nothing but freeways. Normally I do about 40% city style driving and 60% highway. I get between 21-23 MPG based on actual fill-ups and miles travelled. This is exactly the same as the other MS3 I owned. I can therefore conclude there is nothing wrong with my car.

Edited: How are you measuring your MPG? I hope you are not using your trip computer... It has always been over the actual value I have noticed...

Gas Mileage

I use the fill-up method. I reset the trip odometer and I always fill-up. It is not completely accurate on a tank-to-tank basis but the average overtime is pretty good. I'm quitting my current job so I won't have that consistency any longer.

I am somewhat of a mileage geek in that I work the mileage on known routes. Currently, I don't launch all that well and maybe that is helping with the mileage. I'm very slow out the gate. Minivans smoke me.

Mike

That could be it... I normally don't jump out of the hole, but I love acceleration. (Not so big on speed though)

I have a 08' CX-9 and get terrible mileage as well. What is a flash? I only have 2500 miles on since 11/2007. Thanks!

A flash is a reprogramming of your car's computer that controls the engine. They are typically done only in rare cases. Usually if there something serious change that requires it, an upgrade of some sort (again...very rare), or in some cases it is reprogrammed with the same image (software version) it had before in the event it is erased or corrupted for some reason.

That could be it... I normally don't jump out of the hole, but I love acceleration. (Not so big on speed though)

Oh, I like acceleration and speed. It is fun to take jaunts to NV and AZ. Those states have been less finicky about speed. Soon the travel season starts.

Earlier, I asked about premium because I know a number of people who use regular in their premium recommended cars. Erroneously thinking they are saving money when regular lowers mileage as the engine and transmission have to dumb down to operate.

Mike

Last edited:
Are these thigns really that bad on gas? I mean, it doesnt look like it to me. 4500#, AWD, decent sized V-6, nice amount of power, you shouldnt be expecting miracles here, changing how YOU drive (yeah yeah, I know, it cant be you) can make a huge difference in mpg's. most 3500lb cars only get 25-28mpg mixed these days.

FWIW, my 4500 lb '05 Frontier 4wd (front end always spinning but disengaged at the xfer case) gets me 16.5-17mpg winter, 19 mpg summer...and that's running 285/75/16's that weigh 53lb for just the tire (btw, how much difference is there in wheel/tire weight between models, that can make a big difference in mpg's as well, more rotational inertia).

it is what it is. if we decide to add one of these to our garage, we will do so expecting the 'poor' mileage of 15 city and 20 highway.

I just filled up on my first tank. (My CX-9 AWD Touring is a week old!) I got 12.5 mpg; this was 100% suburb driving (car pools, etc.) Please tell me the mileage will improve after the engine breaks in (boom06)
Filled up my 2nd tank today. Got 13.4 mpg; also 100% suburb driving. Love the car otherwise, but not very happy with the mpg. For comparison, the 2002 MDX that this CX9 replaced got 17mpg when new and about 15mpg at the time I traded it in.

The 2002 MDX weighed 5690 (gross weight), while the CX-9 weighs 6049 lbs. So the 360 lb difference will account for some of the increase in mpg. Unfortunately, all these new CUVs are porkers, and I didn't find much difference in mpg--for example, the Acadia, which likes to boast "better" mpg, seems to be getting 12-15 in mostly city driving if you read the forums.

So when I picked the CX-9, I knew I'd be sacrificing more of my paycheck on gas, but unless I got the Highlander Hybrid, there's nothing else that's really much better.

Latest Trip 22MPG

Winding Mtn roads from 5200' down to 3000', up to 9000', and back to 5200'. Hard, fun driving, with a 13.5' Kayak on the roof.

Photo is very typical of most of the roads.

Attachments

• D.jpg
    D.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 231
You're darn right the gas mileage is horrible. I've been tracking it for 1000's of km's and it hasn't changed since I bought it in August/07. It may not be scientific, but I'm closer than those idiots that print the fuel econ. sticker on my window. I've tried everything just short of pushing the damn thing at a stop light, but the econ. is still garbage. I'm from Canada but will do some conversions for anyone from the U.S.

I have filled up many times from empty to full with an average of 65-70 litres (14.5 gallons) and proceeded to drive between 345-370km before filling up again. I'm therefore averaging 17.7-19.2 L/100km OR 12.3-13.3 MPG with over 95% city driving. I have over 13,000 km's (8,000 miles) on my CX-9 and it's still the same as the 1st day. And to top if off I DON'T even have AWD!! The fuel econ sticker stated 13.1 L/100km or 17.95 MPG city driving, they must have been testing it all downhill. I do have to say that the highway driving is pretty good, but I'm hardly on it..

This is an amazing automobile, BUT I will be returning it at the end of the lease for this very reason. With gas prices as they are now ($1.20/litre equivalent of $5.45/gallon, I wish we had $4/gallon) it feels like I'm hemorrhaging money everytime I go to the station....

so now that so many of you posted that you too get around 13mpg overall, it seems that I am not alone. I tried babying the throttle and I can get the mpg up to the mid 14s, but at that point everyone's grandmother passes me at each stoplight. The people in more rural areas get to use their overdrive more, which is the only thing that makes our heavy car more economical than a heavy SUV from 5 years ago. Still, I am a little angry that the newly adjusted EPA ratings are still so far off from reality on these heavy cars, while the EPA ratings for smaller cars seem to be dead on if you drive carefully. All the similar vehicles in the CX-9 class seem to be getting the same bad milage. It is only a shock for those of us who never owned such a large heavy vehicle. I still get the old EPA rating of my BMW M3, and I matched the EPA ratings of my former Volvo v40 wagon when I owned it. The EPA ratings seem to fall off their accuracy only for these heavy cars.

Another week for us, and 15.9 mpg, with maybe 50/50 city/hwy. We've been in the 16's once.

Summer's almost here, mpg will likely go up a bit. We'll see.

Been checking the boards, looks like Acadia owners still have low mpg like we do in city driving.

I'm baffled how you guys are getting such poor mileage. Ours is great for this size vehicle and the way I aggressively drive it, and seems to keep getting better. Weird.

I'd love to say that the low mpg is due to veryaggressive driving, but I'm not even the one driving the CX-9, my wife drives it, and she actually has never floored it yet, in 2000 miles of driving. It's where she does her driving, lots of small hills in the city area where she drives, so that's not good for mpg.

We have yet to take a long road trip in the CX-9, so I can't say what the hwy mileage might be, but it's bound to be way better than what we're getting now.

Back