Microtech X4 external ignitor

Yup, I am. I don't know everything about it but I might be able to answer some questions.

Are the Bosch coils waste spark? Does it wire right up to the LT10s? WHere can I get one in the USA? Do you notice a difference vs stock coils?

Are the Bosch coils waste spark? Does it wire right up to the LT10s? WHere can I get one in the USA? Do you notice a difference vs stock coils?

The Bosch coils are not waste spark - they are sequential.

The X4 module has similar type plugs to the Microtech ECU and is fairly easier to wire in. I think that you may need to get the Microtech unit reprogrammed to work with the X4 unit though.

Have no idea where you could get them in the US but I know there are a few secondhand here in Oz.

I put mine in as a way to have a strong spark at high rpm. The extra power in the Bosch coils allows a greater spark plug gap to be run, which can improve ignition in some circumstances.

can you tell a difference in performance and smoothness? do you know anything about the Haltech coils?

I don't think there was a massive difference but moving through the rev range did seem to be slightly smoother. Comparing a couple of dyno charts, when the coils where in the power band was linear all the way up to 7k rpm.

I don't know anything about the Haltech coils, sorry.

No, I didn't tune the car myself. Twighlightprotege and LordWorm installed the Microtech and tuned the car. I have spent a bit of time revising the wiring over the last few years, so I'm familiar with that side of things.

Yeah, I bought my Microtech with the X4 option already there. Microtech are a bit sneaky and often require you to send the unit back to them for features to be turned on (at a cost). Might be worth sending them an email to confirm whether this needs to be done.

Just curious OP...(not trying to sway you) but why are you trying to upgrade? I didn't see it in your post

my upgrade I meant reprogramming. I don't list my build if that's what you mean.earlier in the thread I mentioned getting misfires above 6000 rpm.I am also running very rich at about six to seven thousand rpmwith not very much timingmy power falls of it around 6400 rpm according to my testing equipmentso I thought that it would be a good idea to upgrade my ignition system so I don't need to worry about that part of the system and I focus more on engine breathing Up high.

my upgrade I meant reprogramming. I don't list my build if that's what you mean.earlier in the thread I mentioned getting misfires above 6000 rpm.I am also running very rich at about six to seven thousand rpmwith not very much timingmy power falls of it around 6400 rpm according to my testing equipmentso I thought that it would be a good idea to upgrade my ignition system so I don't need to worry about that part of the system and I focus more on engine breathing Up high.

I had this issue running 32lbs of boost on a PTE 5831 but I was not sure if it was all due to the ignition, I am in the process of doing over wiring and building the transmission.

Back