Miata's Sound Nice Cat-less

kcbhiw

What "Lifestyle"?
Contributor
:
64 Valves, 16 Cylinders, 7.2L, 622 HP
I finally decided to replace my rattling cat today. After removing the catalytic converter, I decided to run it for a bit. WOW was it loud. It sounded surprisingly nice too. I've heard Miatas without the cat before, but they were always muffled (I.E. Spec Miata). I've always liked the way they sounded. The majority of the raspiness is gone and the sound is quite a bit deeper.

Upon installing the new (used OEM) cat, it pulled noticably harder. The old converter had a large peice wedged perpendicular to the flow creating an obvious obstruction. I was also able to easily pull out the "brillo-pad" considering it was just sitting there inside the housing. This thing was toast.

Just thought I'd share. :D

Hmm...that gives me an ideer...it would be really easy to just run a straight pipe, and i'm gonna get a new exhaust soon. Maybe this weekend i'll do that, untill i get my exhaust

Usually, straight pipes sound much worse than functioning cats. Broken-apart cats, that's a different matter...

Keith

Well, i guess it won't be a straight pipe. I'll just detach the muffler or something. Will i loose low end power? Oh well, it'll just motivate me to save $$$ fastar

No, you shouldn't lose low-end power. However, you might get to meet your neighbours when they hear you coming...

Keith

Keith@FP said:
No, you shouldn't lose low-end power. However, you might get to meet your neighbours when they hear you coming...

Keith

That's the truth. My ears were ringing after I goosed the throttle a few times. Note, also, that I was inside of a shop, so everything reverberates back to me, but it's definately loud.

Well, i guess it won't be a straight pipe. I'll just detach the muffler or something. Will i loose low end power? Oh well, it'll just motivate me to save $$$ fastar

Expect too to turn the heads of a few of you jurisdiction's finest. :D

kcbhiw said:

Expect too to turn the heads of a few of you jurisdiction's finest. :D

But officer, it fell off, i swear. I'm on my way to the shop to get it fixed right now:D

Mazda100 said:
haha yeah! Has anyone used electric cutouts on there miatas? I was wondering what it sounded like!

Seperate the mid-pipe from your stock or other, header...that's what it'd sound like -

It'd sound like ass. :(

Back