Miata Noob with Questions!

The only thing I'm really worried about is keeping the cams from moving when I replace the cam seals and belts. Do you have any tips for that?

Also, do you think powdercoating floating around in the engine is going to hurt it? Before we installed it, we used gasket remover to get almost all of the powdercoating off the inside of the cover. It was everywhere :(

I used the zip tie method around the belt and cam gear...and mark the position of the I/E mark on gear/head. Since you got the code anyways, your gonna have to reset your timing and in the Flyin miata book, it should show you how to do that. There are also really goodwrite-ups on M.net for this task.

As for the powdercoating, its foreign material and it shouldn't be floating around in your engine. I would seafoam the can and change the oil. Seafoam should help clean things out. You may still have stuff leftover after 2 oil changes. After that...you should be clean. But if you just changed your oil, then I wouldnt worry till next change to seafoam. Oil is for Lubricating, Cooling, and cleaning..so eventually it will sort out.

But yea, once you get the bugs sorted out, and the car running tip-top, your gonna have a blast with it.

My timing isn't necessarily screwed up. The code is basically saying the VVT system is stuck in the high rpm mode. (like a honda stuck in vtak lol) I think I need a new VVT sensor or need to switch to lighter oil as some say that 10w30 is too heavy and will clog or slow the VVT actuator.

What does the zip tie method encompass?

What does the zip tie method encompass?

It holds the timing belt to the cam gear so it doesnt lose its position while you take the gear off the cam to replace the seal. the cams will move but then you just bolt the gear back on and no lost timing.

Best of luck getting it back together. It's a shame this happened so soon.

But don't worry, soon you'll be top down, driving around, wondering why the slow Miata is soo much more fun to drive than the powerful MS3.

Best of luck getting it back together. It's a shame this happened so soon.

But don't worry, soon you'll be top down, driving around, wondering why the slow Miata is soo much more fun to drive than the powerful MS3.

Actually the MS3 is just as fun except the no top down and understeer.

I've driven a few. They felt too heavy to me, and the understeer was a little annoying. They're nice cars... don't get me wrong. I thought I was going to have a blast in my MSM when I bought it. I'm scared of it. Slow cars are more fun to drive fast to me than fast cars driving under their capabilities.

I actually feel more confident in the corners with my MS3 when it's wet. I've gone into powerslides twice in the Miata when the roads were wet (once I even went off the road and onto a curb). I think it just needs new tires though :p I've got my eye on some 6UL's from 949 racing once I get the oil leak and CEL worked out.

It holds the timing belt to the cam gear so it doesnt lose its position while you take the gear off the cam to replace the seal. the cams will move but then you just bolt the gear back on and no lost timing.

That's the part I don't get. If the cams still move, how do you not lose timing when you bolt the gear back on?

Tires will make a huge difference with that. I've driven mine with crappy tires, and a supercharged 10AE with good tires, and it made a HUGE difference in confidence levels. It's when the car breaks sideways at 65-70 going around an onramp in 4th gear when you have to really worry. Heh.

That's the part I don't get. If the cams still move, how do you not lose timing when you bolt the gear back on?

My method is hard to explain and you would need visuals or be there. You can follow this write-up and do it like this: http://www.miata.net/garage/timingbelt.html

Tires will make a huge difference with that. I've driven mine with crappy tires, and a supercharged 10AE with good tires, and it made a HUGE difference in confidence levels. It's when the car breaks sideways at 65-70 going around an onramp in 4th gear when you have to really worry. Heh.

Trust me..i know all about it. See sig.

Congrats man! I just got a 2002 6 speed last week. I too was wondering the same thing and found it here: http://www.miata.net/garage/trans/everything.html[/URL]

Good luck!

Jsceen

Haha! Necrobump!

The car got its engine replaced after that powdercoating job did a number on the internals.

Lots of things have happend since I got this car. I've gone through a divorce, and I got rid of my Mazdaspeed3. I now have a blue Mazda 2 and this Miata splitting daily duty.

I've installed a ton of parts over the years. FM stage 2 suspension kit, racing beat intake, roadstersport muffler. I've done two full belt/water pump jobs. Replaced the radiator. It's had several combinations of wheels/tires and I'm now running Enkei RPF1 14x7 +19 with Falken Azenis. I've done a lot of ricer type mods like KG works gauge cluster and some vent rings.

Boost is probably in the future. (Years in the future)

I'm new to this scene iv done Integra stuff before first Mazda i have a 1993 Miata mx-5 with 56k miles 5 speed. it also came with a b6t as an extra not including the motor that's in it. i dont know if it is better to sell the b6t (how much could i get?) And would it be better to just put it in?

Back