MI tint?

silverpro5 said:
I know the law says no tint on front side windows, but has anyone done it anyway? Is it enforced?

I've had it done on all my cars, and no hassles so far (knock on wood). Can't wait to get it done on my MS3, too! I usually get like 35% rears and 50% on the front, so that it's not super dark and you can usually slide by.

You recommend any places for tint? The place I usually go I don't want to go to again.

5% in the back and between 30% and 35% on the front on all six(6) cars that I've owned. I've been pulled over six(6) times in three(3) different states, MI, OH, NC, and not one cop has ever said anything about the tint.

As far as recommendations, I had a couple done at Auto Ameristar in Taylor on Telegraph just north of Eureka, but I don't know of any places in the Grand Rapids area.

jdub260 said:
5% in the back and between 30% and 35% on the front on all six(6) cars that I've owned.

isn't that kind of dark for MI? i can't remember where i saw it but there is a listing of permitted tinting by state somewhere online. i think my car would look really nice with the windows tinted.

5% is "Limo Black" which is legal on all windows behind the drivers seat. No tint is legal on the front two windows...unless you want to put that 3" stripe on the top part of the window, but I would loose all respect for you if you did that. :D

I've had three cars tinted but it was bad karma for me. One got totalled parked in front of my house. One got stolen, torched and State Farm refused to pay off on it (a $6,000 loss) and the other one I had to sell when I got out of the Marines to pay bills because my deadbeat ex-wife wouldn't keep a job.

I'll never tint another car again, regardless of how cool it looks. :(

The Blazer in my sig is factory tinted, so I'm hoping it keeps the bad karma away.

But my gf has hers tinted pretty dark and she's never gotten hassled by Jonny Law, even after getting into a couple accidents.
I think she's got 35% on the front and 20% on the rear.

Last edited:
I've got 20% all the way around on my P5 and I've never had a problem in the lower peninsula. The UP, now that's another story. $90 ticket. But I had a local cop from where I'm from sign it off and he said that it really isn't a big deal. He said he could make it a big deal if he had to but normally he doesn't. I've also had cops come to my house w/ my truck at 20% and P5 in the driveway and they didn't say a thing. If you ever notice when you're out driving, you'll see about 1 in 5 cars has some sort of tint on their front windows.

I've got 5% on the back window and rear doors, and 20% on the moonroof and front doors. I've gotten 4 tickets, all of which have been waived. With all of mine, I've always been pulled over for something else, but they seem to forget about it and just write me a waivable for tint. I'd still do it again though, its so much better at night and during the winter months.

If you want to get a legal notice, if you have good vision or if you get your eyes checked, ask them what you can do because you think your eyesight might be photophobic. They'll give you a slip and take that to SoS and they should put it on your license. I have a friend who just got this whole process done and he's got limo all the way around and double limo on his back windows of his F-150.

I have an appointment to get my MS3 tinted today at 4! Finally. Car will be filthy because of the rain, but I might take a few pics anyway. I'm getting it done @ Auto Ameristar in Taylor, with the high end 3M non-metallic tint. Supposed to be guaranteed against everything for life, too.

I'll post later and let everyone know if I like the job they did or not. LOL

Albert said:
I have an appointment to get my MS3 tinted today at 4! Finally. Car will be filthy because of the rain, but I might take a few pics anyway. I'm getting it done @ Auto Ameristar in Taylor, with the high end 3M non-metallic tint. Supposed to be guaranteed against everything for life, too.

I'll post later and let everyone know if I like the job they did or not. LOL

They are good people, I was in there last Saturday to have a chip in my windshield fixed. It took longer than I expected, 1 1/2 hours, but it looks good and hasen't started to crack yet....knock on wood. :D

Well I guess this was destined to happen after my eariler post.

I got pulled over by a state trooper on my way home from work tonight for having tint on my front windows and a tinted liscense Plate cover.

I guess it didn't turn out all bad though, He did let me go with a warning to remove the tint.

Crappy cell phone pic, dirty, with winter tires on it still (getting my Gram Light 57S powdercoated black this weekend hopefully). I'll try to get better pics up later today.

tint1.jpg

That's 20% on all the rears, with 35% (more like 40%) on the front 2 doors. For the good 3M lifetime guarantee non-metallic, it ran me $285 (with coupon). Little higher than I've paid in the past, but they did a good job (few bubbles, but not dry yet) and they did the rear window in one piece, which is a must-have!

Looks good man, now you just gotta get the wheels on it, and you'll be all set

Chris, the first time I got popped for tint, I had a tinted plate cover on my car as well. I asked him if i could get my screwdriver out of the trunk and take it off and that was when he asked me about my windows. It's like that old Toyota commercial: looks fast.

i have 20% on my msp and have only gotten pulled over once super late at night comming home, they gave me a nice ticket and asked me if i had an illegal drugs in my car, i just laughed to myself. That was in the great City of Warren. I usually just roll down my front windows if i pull up next to any cops, no need to push fate. As for tinting, there is a great place called Dark Side window tinting on like 23mile and Hayes area.

Back