Metal on metal vibration developed - gets worse the faster you go.

Domino81

:meh:
:
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
It just... came out of nowhere the other day. No snapping or popping indicating something was wrong right before it happened. Now there's a thwacking at speed. And I cannot for the life of me figure it out. Stab links are tight. There's a little noise from the bar, I think I knew that, though. But this loose-sounding, almost vibrational issue REALLY has me worried. Anyone else ever have this? I'm about to put it up on jack stands now and search for anything I can find.

I'm about to put it up on jack stands now and search for anything I can find.

Do that. Rotate the wheels by hand and see what happens

Maybe the t1000 from terminator 2 judgment day came after you in arm-claw form and grabbed at a wheel, then lost his claw, and now its hitting your wheel spokes like a baseball card in a bicycle

It's like, I could have SWORN I used the impact to torque them on. Doesn't matter, I went around the entire car and used the torque wrench.

i kinda did that the other day when i replaced my strut. i still had the lower control arm loose at the 3 bolts where it connect to the bushing. went on a test drive and heard a noise. chalked it up to needing to re-tighten some of the bolts, not even realizing that the re-tightening was really a tightening in the first place

catastrophe avoided, and all's well

DON'T (lesson to be learned) use an impact to torque lug nuts. It's as easy to overtorque them as undertorque them using the gun. Plus, it ***** up the chrome finish on the nuts.

Small price to pay if you want to save time (******* up the nuts, that is). The key is to start them by hand (as to not cross-thread), drive one in with the impact gun at lowest torque setting while wiggling the tire to insure the wheel is flush against the brake and hub, then star pattern the others, then do a final torquing with the torque wrench

Ill be damned if I have to spend forever rotating the tires without my trusty air tool and the proper sized socket

You're intentionally misunderstanding me. I said, don't torque the nuts on with the gun. I didn't say, don't use the gun to spin nuts on. I do that, I just don't let the gun hammer the nut, I finish with a breaker bar and torque wrench.

^^^nothing intentional about it...just sounded like you refused to use the impact gun altogether after a past experience, that's the only reason why I replied to that

In addition (not solely towards you), its also good practice to not rely on those color-coded torque sticks. The gun and whatever air source used might not give the attachment the right power. So an 80ftlb stick might end up giving out 100ftlb or 60ftlb

Back