CX-5 Hit a bear and the bear won

:
2023 CX5 turbo
Yesterday hit a black bear. Bear 1 cx5 turbo 0. bear jumped out of the brush on a narrow winding road and even tho I was able to brake hard still nailed it. It did 5 or 6 barrel rolls down the highway and ran off. Damage looks minor but body shop estimated between $2500-3000 to fix. could have been worse no sheet metal damage or headlights or intercooler or radiator damage so that was good.
he pointed out something to me that I had not noticed before and he said it is on all cx5's that he has fixed. on both back panels above the rear triangle windows are a couple of little indents. you have to look just right down the side at them to see them but once you see them you can't unsee them. He said it is where they most hold the sheet metal at the factory he said every one is like that. It came up because he asked if I knew of any other daage and I said there is none and he said I can show you a couple dents and sure as sh&t there they were.

Attachments

• IMG_4367.jpg
    IMG_4367.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_4368.jpg
    IMG_4368.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_4369.jpg
    IMG_4369.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_4370.jpg
    IMG_4370.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_4371.jpg
    IMG_4371.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_4372.jpg
    IMG_4372.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 188
Is it just that the bumper/plastic is cracked? Seems a lot of cash from just that, no?

Is it just that the bumper/plastic is cracked? Seems a lot of cash from just that, no?
the grill, all the trim around the grill, all the support brackets, the front plastic, the lower grill part that goes in front of the intercooler, the underneath engine cover. fortunately the radar system was not damaged nor was the intercooler or radiator. does not take much to add up. Mazda does not sell pre-painted plastic so the new piece needs to be painted. Neither body shop was concerned with matching the paint. they both are highly respected and both said it would not be an issue. The issue they both said was getting the parts from Mazda. they both said Mazda was really slow getting parts.

Yesterday hit a black bear. Bear 1 cx5 turbo 0. bear jumped out of the brush on a narrow winding road and even tho I was able to brake hard still nailed it. It did 5 or 6 barrel rolls down the highway and ran off. Damage looks minor but body shop estimated between $2500-3000 to fix. could have been worse no sheet metal damage or headlights or intercooler or radiator damage so that was good.
he pointed out something to me that I had not noticed before and he said it is on all cx5's that he has fixed. on both back panels above the rear triangle windows are a couple of little indents. you have to look just right down the side at them to see them but once you see them you can't unsee them. He said it is where they most hold the sheet metal at the factory he said every one is like that. It came up because he asked if I knew of any other daage and I said there is none and he said I can show you a couple dents and sure as sh&t there they were.
Looks like you either got lucky or it’s a baby black bear cub. The damage is pretty minor IMO hitting a large animal from my experience. The good thing is nobody got hurt including the black bear in this incident.

Many years ago I drove my beat-up 1974 Chevy Impala from Des Moines to Dallas on I-35 and hit a baby deer. The mother deer jumped out from the road side suddenly trying to across the highway, and the baby deer followed. The whole right front was crushed and the windshield was smashed. The baby deer was lying on the road side and she was dead. Luckily the big old Chevy was still drivable and I kept driving after the incident down to Texas.

Looks like you either got lucky or it’s a baby black bear cub. The damage is pretty minor IMO hitting a large animal from my experience. The good thing is nobody got hurt including the black bear in this incident.

Many years ago I drove my beat-up 1974 Chevy Impala from Des Moines to Dallas on I-35 and hit a baby deer. The mother deer jumped out from the road side suddenly trying to across the highway, and the baby deer followed. The whole right front was crushed and the windshield was smashed. The baby deer was lying on the road side and she was dead. Luckily the big old Chevy was still drivable and I kept driving after the incident down to Texas.
it was probably last year's cub. I live in an area were there are wildlife hits common. mostly deer, in fact saw a mother and fawn almost get tagged this morning. Some one hit and killed a fox right across from my house the other day.

Still amazes me people think cars were built better "back in the day" because they withstood accidents with less damage. You do know those kinds of cars were far more dangerous, right? It's not "cars have more plastic these days"...it's "modern cars take the impact so the people don't".
I will take a car that shreds itself after an accident, while I walk away...over the alternative.

Never forget the serious accident my mother go into in her Ford LTD. Yea, baby, that thing was a tank. It was STILL drive-able after the crash alright! You should have seen the other car!
But my mom couldn't walk, had to have several surgeries, almost lost sight in her right eye....

Still amazes me people think cars were built better "back in the day" because they withstood accidents with less damage. You do know those kinds of cars were far more dangerous, right? It's not "cars have more plastic these days"...it's "modern cars take the impact so the people don't".
I will take a car that shreds itself after an accident, while I walk away...over the alternative.

Never forget the serious accident my mother go into in her Ford LTD. Yea, baby, that thing was a tank. It was STILL drive-able after the crash alright! You should have seen the other car!
But my mom couldn't walk, had to have several surgeries, almost lost sight in her right eye...Absolutely..
Absolutely. People don't understand the idea of energy absorption in today's cars. A few years back my 2007 Corlla got rear ended and pushed me into another vechicle. Front and back end were demolished but the passenger compartment, along with me, were unscathed. The design did it's job.

But my mom couldn't walk, had to have several surgeries, almost lost sight in her right eye....
Preach it. Today's cars are built to take the damage so you and I don't have to take it. Sure we get a little beat up/sore, but not nearly as bad as in the old cars.

And no metal damage at all? $4k is crazy for the front end. No headlight damage, right?
no head light damage or sheet metal damage. grill, trim, bumper plastic, plastic panel underneath that covers engine, it all adds up. I looked the parts up and the body shop is not marking them up. the grill alone is $784.91. paint for the rhodium white is over $426 just for the plastic bumper. Be nice if they came pre painted but they don't.

no head light damage or sheet metal damage. grill, trim, bumper plastic, plastic panel underneath that covers engine, it all adds up. I looked the parts up and the body shop is not marking them up. the grill alone is $784.91. paint for the rhodium white is over $426 just for the plastic bumper. Be nice if they came pre painted but they don't.
Not surprised to me as the price for many Mazda OEM parts has been skyrocketed after the pandemic! This may apply to all auto parts due to the severe inflation in current time. Just a couple of days ago I went to my Mazda dealer for a driver side rear outer LED tail light assembly on our CX-5 as wife accidentally hit a wooden fence and broke the lens while backing out in a hurry. It cost me $536.46 (MSRP) before tax!

Last edited:
Insane prices. I paid 50 bucks for a brand new Tacoma taillight (it had LED brake and running light sections) but that was a few years ago. These Mazda prices sound like Porsche figures.

finally got my car back last night. final bill was..... get this $5619.17 all but $500 paid by insurance.
Hope you won’t see too much increase from your insurance premium on next bill ⋯ :rolleyes:

Back