Mechanical Engineer looking for job!!!

GMalatrasi

:
2003 Mazda Proteg5, soon to be Turbo
Hey everyone,

I recently finished up my BS in Mechanical Engineering, with a High Performance Vehicles concentration and I need a job!

I've been applying everywhere I can think of but no bites yet.
The loan payments are getting harder and harder to make, so I need something to come up quick.

I would love to get something like product development or R&D, which is what I did mostly in school.
But any mechanical engineering position would do.

If anyone knows of a company that's hiring or have any connections they'd like to share...

I'd very much appreciate the info.

Thanks,

Geep

i dont like reading this.., i will be graduating with a BS in ME in a year...good luck!!

maybe contact a headhunter to see if they can help you look too...sometimes their fees are paid by the company hiring you, others you need to pay...but it might be helpful to have an extra set of eyes out there looking for you! Have you talked to any of your professors to see if they have leads/contacts? maybe see if you can join a local technology/engineering networking group?

maybe contact a headhunter to see if they can help you look too...sometimes their fees are paid by the company hiring you, others you need to pay...but it might be helpful to have an extra set of eyes out there looking for you! Have you talked to any of your professors to see if they have leads/contacts? maybe see if you can join a local technology/engineering networking group?

Thanks Joyce, I'll check them out.

*Fixed* (peep)

Good luck in your search. Are you wanting to stay local or will you consider moving elsewhere? Might help broaden your search. :)

Woops sorry Joyce Ann.

I'm looking anywhere in the states and even in other countries.
Although if I had the choice, I'd stay in FL.

Ha you have specialty in HPV. You looking to stay in the Southern US, or willing to relocate?

As a fellow early career Mechanical engineer I can say you best bet to find a job, apply everywhere, even if you don't really like the company. Go for an interview if just for practice. Posting your resume on Monster will get you noticed by head hunter's, and they may help you find something. If someone is offering a contract position for 6-12 months, consider it; you have to be a pretty big screw up for them to get rid of you at the end of a contract, even if not, that's 1 year of paychecks and experience to help you get to a better time.

Product Dev and R&D are usually reserved for Masters or PhD candidates. Just the harsh reality of it, but you still may find something, if you are really set in getting into that field, do some heavy research or further background into that subject. Theoretically if you are unemployed you should have all sorts of time to dedicate to learning something new.

Good luck and if I see anything at an affiliate division in FL ill let you know.

Finding a "good" job is all about networking. If you had a high performance vehicles concentration then you should have had contact with the folks in SAE. A person that knows you and can vouch for your ability goes a long way, there are a lot of positions out there that are not listed. Don't outright say that you are looking for a job, rather briefly state your experience and situation and ask if they know anyone that is looking for someone with your skills. Any internships? Network with them as well.

Personally I would stay away from head-hunters if you can help it. (you may not be able to help it, pretty much all the postings on Careerbuilder/Monster are from head hunters).
A) They get a percentage of your salary so you get paid less.
2) They don't have your best interests in mind, I.E. don't care that the job is an hour commute or that benefits suck.
III) They will sometimes pit clients against each other to get the one with more experience a higher rate. (Be the last person to interview that day)

The market is tough right now, but if you can afford to wait a little while to find something with a future then it is worth it.

PS: Anyone have any feedback on Linkedin, I was recommended to set up an account? Do employers actually look at the recommendations or is it just Facebook for buisness? (currently employed, but just wondering)

Last edited:
Personally I would stay away from head-hunters if you can help it. (you may not be able to help it, pretty much all the postings on Careerbuilder/Monster are from head hunters).
A) They get a percentage of your salary so you get paid less.
2) They don't have your best interests in mind, I.E. don't care that the job is an hour commute or that benefits suck.
III) They will sometimes pit clients against each other to get the one with more experience a higher rate. (Be the last person to interview that day)

The market is tough right now, but if you can afford to wait a little while to find something with a future then it is worth it.

a) not all of them operate this way. Many are hired by HR departments within an organization and get paid from them, not out of your pocket. HR has a budget for recruiting a position. If an agency is used, regardless of how you are hired, that money is spent and 'theoretically' taken out of salary.
2) Their best interest *is* your best interest. They typically do not get paid unless they get someone to fill that opening. There are some pushy head hunters, but they are trying to recruit you. Tell them NO, or you don't like that job. Be assertive and confident, if they give you crap about it; tell them you do not wish to do any business with them and hang up. I have told head hunters off, and a few days later I get a call from the same agency but a different person with different jobs.
III) Of course they are going to pit people against each other, the HR dept. will do the same thing. The company is looking to fill the seat with the best candidate for the least amount of money. If you are the best qualified, and cheapest, then it will work out for you.

Yeah the market is tough, but if you have a decent skill set you will be fine.

↑ I guess I have just had some bad dealings with head hunters.

I got set up on an interview with a company, and was told the only time available was first thing in the morning. I got there before the interviewer had even shown up. It makes him look bad for not being prepared and me look bad but I gave it my best shot. Turned out a friend of mine also interviewed there later in the day. According to our combined notes it would probably have been a close call. I get a call a few days later informing me that the position had been recalled due to financial difficulties. Just for the hell of it, I contacted my friend and he got the job. What was the point of lying to me? I stopped dealing with that organisation.

I obtained my current position through a head hunter so they are not all bad. My point is, try to use what networking you have first. If you have to use an employment agency just be aware of the tricks.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info guys... I do know I have little chance of getting exactly the job I want right now. I'm applying everywhere I can, and to almost any position I qualify for, even some I dont.

Back