2008 CX-9 - Reliable mechanic says non-OEM exhaust system would cause failed inspection

Nfreeman

:
CX9 Touring
Hi All -- even at 15 yrs old and 175K, I love my CX9 (Touring), as it's still big, powerful, safe and fun to drive -- but holy mackerel it's gotten noisy.

My (independent) mechanic says it needs a few new exhaust system parts, including the long pipes underneath and I think mufflers, all of which have corroded over the years -- but the cost is $4K to $5K for OEM parts. The problem, as I understand it, is something to the effect that the Mazda computer won't recognize non-OEM parts, which would cost much less -- and the computer not liking them would automatically and unavoidably result in the car failing its state inspection.

I can't justify spending that much on a repair when the car itself is only worth $2000 or so.

I trust my mechanic, as he's kept both of my Mazdas (my other one is a 2015 CX5) running flawlessly for years and in fact got my CX9 running well after 2 Mazda dealers were unable to do so.

I'm just wondering whether anyone who is mechanically inclined might know something my mechanic doesn't or have any other advice on this.

Thanks!

First, what is he replacing for $4k-$5k in exhaust work?

Second, non-OEM parts should have not cause any issues, as long as they meet the requirements.

I agree. If the oxygen sensors are listed in the catalog for your car go with them. (O2 sensors are good for about 100,000 miles, then the reaction slows.) Ditto for the catalytic converter if needed. The muffler and pipes should make no difference.

Echoing the comments above, I think your "mechanic" is taking you for a ride. Nonsense on exhaust pipes and mufflers. Cats... Maybe.. but there are aftermarket certified ones for cheap if your oem one is clogged or rotted out. Oxygen sensors can be left alone if switching is functioning normal, otherwise can be replaced with denso or Bosch depending on the oem supplier for what is installed from the factory a couple hundred or less as good measure, but you definitely want to get the same exact ones.

Last edited:
Bunch of nonsense, find a new mechanic.

go to an exhaust shop or two and ask them for their opinion on what needs to be replaced.

if you do need replacements, you're fine going non oem.

It is time for a second and third opinion if needed. On Rockauto you can find a lot of exhaust parts for the vehicle for a lot less than whatever quote you have. I agree that if sensors are needed, go OEM quality; otherwise, it's just pipes.

It is time for a second and third opinion if needed. On Rockauto you can find a lot of exhaust parts for the vehicle for a lot less than whatever quote you have. I agree that if sensors are needed, go OEM quality; otherwise, it's just pipes.
forget rock auto. have it custom fabbed up at a reputable exhaust shop using whatever they recommend/have on hand.

I had a custom midpipe made for my 2015 mazda 6 (second cat delete vibrant resonator) - couldn't be happier with the work. it on;y cost me 240CAD.

go to an exhaust shop or two and ask them for their opinion on what needs to be replaced.
Agree. The exhaust shop guys do this work every day. They know what works and what gives them come-backs...and come-backs are expensive for them.

My guess is that the indie mechanic has been sold the wrong parts by his supplier and had problems...come-backs that are expensive for him and terrible PR. If he goes to the dealership for parts he knows he'll get what works regardless of the cost to the customer.

Back