Mazdaspeeds In Progress

It looks slightly different. The main difference is when the stereo is installed there's a lip around it, with the blanking plate it's all uniform.

Here's a pic with the stereo:
01.jpg

And without:
pic07.jpg

hw listen that is jus twha it will look like when all you get ya MS-P..."without a radio"....lmao...that is what it will look like until u turn the key...the radio IS installed int the car at this point...i guess we can say that kenwood fooled all u giuys....HAHAHa

NYCZMP3 said:
hw listen that is jus twha it will look like when all you get ya MS-P..."without a radio"....lmao...that is what it will look like until u turn the key...the radio IS installed int the car at this point...i guess we can say that kenwood fooled all u giuys....HAHAHa

uh....english?

its not in the car, there is no border around where a face-plate could rotate out. theres just a giant block of plastic now for some reason.

kenwood fooled us all :rolleyes:

Is it me or is the turbo NOT installed on the motor pictured in all but the last pic of the turbo manifold cover (with Mazdaspeed stamped on it)??

In all but the last pic, i don't see any piping related to the turbo, and no mazdaspeed manifold cover?

The radio is there. I read that the stereo that is installed is the Flip Face MP3 Exelon stereo. You see that black plastic, looks the same as my wife's stereo when the face is flipped!

-Jeremy-

x113MP919-f.jpeg

now how is it that you kids think that silver face can flip around and leave NO cracks on the sides or top? The first picture above clearly has the head unit installed and is showing the back of the face because it has flipped around, now if you will look at the second picture above it is entirely different.

clearly a useless argument as nothing is to be gained or lost but I do have a question regardnig the stereo. The head unit is commonly reffered to in Mazda documentation as a Kenwood Excelon MP919, but there is no such animal, the MP919 is not an excelon head unit. Excelong head units from this model year have a 5 instead of a 1, so the comparable unit for the 919 would be the kenwood X959, which is about a hundred dollars more expensive. All the pictures of the prototype car show it with the non excelon MP919 unit.......is that false advertising or something? a bone of contention? Even though it doesnt matter to us persnoally, you think any dealer would care if we complained about having a 100 dollar less head unit in the car than we were anticipating?

Very astute observation, slug420. Here's the way I see it:

Although the stereo is listed as a "Excelon KDC-MP919" on Mazda's website as well as in Car & Driver (and probably other magazines) I think it could end up being a different head unit. The official Mazda information released to dealers last week says the following:
Audio:
  • 450 watt AM/FM/CD/MP3 Kenwood audio system with liquid gel 3-D screen, glass antenna, wireless remote control and self-hiding/removable faceplate
  • 7-speaker system features four mid-base[sic] speakers, two tweeters, and one 250-watt subwoofer. The subwoofer and accompanying amplifier are located in the rear package tray.

The above info makes no mention of Excelon or not, nor any model number. So it might be the KDC-MP919.

From my research, it looks like the Excelon KDC-X859 is virtually identical to the KDC-MP919, except is is an Excelon model and has a couple of small extras (like RDS.) It also keeps the same rotary volume knob.

h113KDCX859-f.jpeg

So, what's the answer? Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Here's the answer from Mazda's website:
"For a state-of-the-art MP3 audio system, Mazda again turned to Kenwood Car Audio, the company responsible for the first-ever OEM MP3 system in last year's Mazda MP3. The MAZDASPEED Proteg features a new in-dash CD/ MP3 receiver - the Kenwood Excelon KDC-MP919.

jroof said:
Here's the answer from Mazda's website:
"For a state-of-the-art MP3 audio system, Mazda again turned to Kenwood Car Audio, the company responsible for the first-ever OEM MP3 system in last year's Mazda MP3. The MAZDASPEED Proteg features a new in-dash CD/ MP3 receiver - the Kenwood Excelon KDC-MP919.
The only problem is the "Kenwood Excelon KDC-MP919" doesn't exist. If it is a KDC-MP919, then that's not an Excelon unit. And if it is an Excelon unit, it's a different model than the KDC-MP919.

if i wasnt such a jackass i would have told my dealer to make note of the exact model head unit when he went to mazdaspeed school and drove the car yesterday......

slug420 said:
if i wasnt such a jackass i would have told my dealer to make note of the exact model head unit when he went to mazdaspeed school and drove the car yesterday......
Did you get any new info at all from him? I'll be getting the dirt tomorrow...

nah, no info

I didnt call him today and either today was his day off (I think it was) or he just decided not to call me with the dirt afterall. Ill look forward to hearing what your dealer has to say too

I got invited to the one here in Texas but I can't go. It's being held at NASA I think. They were going to give us passes for NASA and all. Linuxracer is going though.

big_ben said:

I got invited to the one here in Texas but I can't go. It's being held at NASA I think. They were going to give us passes for NASA and all. Linuxracr is going though.

Probably not now. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I talked to the shop, and my car probably won't be ready until Monday!(argh) This will keep me from bringing my car! My block is there, but they say they have to honor other's rides who where brought in while my car was just sitting there waiting on parts. This phuckin sucks!!!:mad:

dang, that's lame. You should immediately have a higher priority since it's an "open workorder" so to speak and your part has finally arrived. It's like putting you in a waiting room and let other people behind you in line get all their stuff done and then finally getting back to service you..:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh, I forgot to mention that part of the reason that I am still waiting is the fact that they recived the wrong main bearing for the crank shaft. That's right, they figured since everything else was gonna be new, they would go ahead and replace those. The weren't able to find out that they were the wrong ones until the block go back to the shop, and they tried to fit them. They are waiting for the correct ones. They do good work, so I trust what they do. They just have a way of teaching you a lot of patience. Looks like Friday or Monday for my ride to be back.

Latest posts

Back