Mazdaspeed6 Intermittent Lack of Power Concern Fix Available

I forgot to mention all the above was according to CARFAX....... anyhoo....

I just checked the door jab only the normal 3 stickers.... the airbag warning... the tire inflation chart and the production sticker....nothing about an ECU re-flash....

Koenig said:
I'm walking out to my car right now to look, lol... the thing is it's a 2006 that was owned in Arizona for 25 days then given back to the dealer and driven from the dealer in AZ to a dealer in FL.... so it had 4803 miles when I bought it (i put on 2 miles test driving it). The sticker would be on the jamb down near where the sticker is for the tire information?

I bought mine with 44 miles on it, the dealer had done the reflash. the sticker was up closer to the hinge, but it was fairly obvious, so you wouldn't miss it.

Keep the posts coming guys. I print these and take them to the dealer with me. We really need to keep complaining so we can get these things fixed.

Hmmm....... I checked all around , even up towards the front of the door, and around the hinges and under the door I noticed nothing but the normal 3 stickers, I might not have been flashed.... the dealer I bought my car from wasn't a mazda it was a World Ford dealer (lol) so yeah.... I don't think Ford would have done the reflash.... is there anyway to check my ecu? I'm told the checksums of the ecu always record whenever a flash has been done and you can't reset the checksums..... this is coming from a mechanic I know (not from mazda though)

Not to beat this into the ground or anything, but I am just curious. I (so far) have not yet had the reflash, and I dont plan on ever doing it, just as long as I can get away with it. However ...

How do the 2007 Speed6 guys like their ECU map? If there are no problems with that map, why not just reflash the 2006's to the 2007 standards?

Or is the 2007 map the same as the reflash?

I believe the reflash is the same map that the 2007s have....... since people with the 2006 models have said they noticed a slight loss in power after the reflash....

2006 models are rated 274hp
2007 models are rated 270hp

Thanks. That makes sense. I thought that Mazda might have gone to the new SAE way of measuring HP, and thats where the 4 hp went to. Does the 07 suffer from the same problems facing the new flash? IE ... full spool comes later, slower acceleration at freeway speeds?

Never driven a 2007 so I have no idea, I have a 2006 MS6, and I'm happy with it I won't let the dealer reflash it if I can help it.......

Whats your secret for not getting them to automatically do the reflash? Im due for the first oil change next week, and was just gonna either play the "no time" card, the "I dont need it and when I do, I will be back", or just go all offensive at first and say its not safety related, and I like the car the way it is so dont mess with it.

I met the service manager already today, just to get on somewhat good terms with him.

Igve2shtz said:
Whats your secret for not getting them to automatically do the reflash? Im due for the first oil change next week, and was just gonna either play the "no time" card, the "I dont need it and when I do, I will be back", or just go all offensive at first and say its not safety related, and I like the car the way it is so dont mess with it.

I met the service manager already today, just to get on somewhat good terms with him.

If you already met with him then make sure you just stress the fact that he understands you don't want the reflash done to the car........ it's not broken, so don't fix it type of thing.

Just be frank with him and ask him if he can make sure none of the techs perform the reflash and you'll get it as it's needed..... since it's not really a safety issue and most people haven't had the engine problems most people don't need the reflash....

If you think you and the service manager are on good terms then just tell him upfront you'd like for them to NOT do the reflash.... if he says he can't do that, you're better off changing your oil yourself..........it's not hard.

i don't think it's in any relation to a VIN #, not that i'm aware of.......also for security reasons you should never post your full VIN #..... yeah...

what year is your speed6?

Koenig said:
i don't think it's in any relation to a VIN #, not that i'm aware of.......also for security reasons you should never post your full VIN #..... yeah...

what year is your speed6?

Actually if you look at the actual pdf file that is attached somewhere in this thread it gives the vin # range for the vehicles. Mine is not in that range.

i didn't find it, if you know where it is please link me I'd like to check my vin, since I'm in the TYPE A for the clutch replacement, I'd like to see if I'm supposed to have this "knock" issue.

thanks, I appreciate it!!

Apparently my vehicle falls under the VIN#s however I have no problems with my car.......so I can't say...... it doesn't feel like I have any loss of power cause my car comes on strong, even in 6th gear doing 80 my car will pull hard, so I don't think it's been performed on mine....... I'd like to keep it that way :D

just thought I would post this, Ive spoken with the guys over at www.ATP.com who have a turbo upgrade kit for the MSP6. They have a boost cut killer that you can buy that will prevent the ecu from killing the boost, I wonder if this could solve the boost cut condition that has been robbing you guys of your power. They have a video of their test car ripping off a sub 13 second 1/4 mile for those interested. I emailed them about what they used to tune, and if a boost controller and a their BCK (boost cut killer) would allow the boost to be raised and a safe a/f ratio maintained. They said that the factory fuel system has more than enough to run with what the stock turbo can put out and that a boost controller and their BCK would allow the boost to be turned up on the stock turbo.

On a second note, I believe the problem with the boost being cut is the top mount intercooler. I have yet to see a top mount intercooler that doesn't run into problems with detonation. Look at the top mount on Subaru's, even in stock trim on a hot day the ECU pulls out timing and cuts boost because the intercooler gets heat soaked and the intake temps skyrocket. Turbo magazine did a test on the stock intercooler (they did a whole build up of the STI) and found it to be completely heat soaked after just 2 runs on the dyno. This is with the STI's huge bird-swallowing hood scoop as well. All the MSP6 has is the two small inlets at the front of the hood. So, Im willing to bet that a water injection kit would alleviate the problem if you dont want to pony up the big bucks for a custom front mount job. At the very least plumb a windshield washer hose over to the intercooler and put a nozzle on it. This is another trick Subaru's use to keep the intercooler from getting heat soaked. This wouldn't void any warranty, and would cost like 15$ from any autoparts store. My 2 cents have turned into a rant, thanks for reading lol.

My 300 mile brand new 2007 MS6 feels slow most of the time as compared to my neighbors MS3. I know, more weight, ect but it should not feel THIS much slower. I am going to bring it in to Norcoa Mazda tommorrow to see whats up.

Also, it has thrown a few CEL's since I got it, they usually go away when I shut off the car and turn it on again. That makes it hard to get to the dealer to get it looked at.

gerasimatos said:
My 300 mile brand new 2007 MS6 feels slow most of the time as compared to my neighbors MS3. I know, more weight, ect but it should not feel THIS much slower. I am going to bring it in to Norcoa Mazda tommorrow to see whats up.

Also, it has thrown a few CEL's since I got it, they usually go away when I shut off the car and turn it on again. That makes it hard to get to the dealer to get it looked at.

CELs will stay stored in the ECU. if you are getting them, more than likely you got other issues there as well, which may explain why it feels slow.

Madscientist1 said:
just thought I would post this, Ive spoken with the guys over at www.ATP.com who have a turbo upgrade kit for the MSP6. They have a boost cut killer that you can buy that will prevent the ecu from killing the boost, I wonder if this could solve the boost cut condition that has been robbing you guys of your power. They have a video of their test car ripping off a sub 13 second 1/4 mile for those interested. I emailed them about what they used to tune, and if a boost controller and a their BCK (boost cut killer) would allow the boost to be raised and a safe a/f ratio maintained. They said that the factory fuel system has more than enough to run with what the stock turbo can put out and that a boost controller and their BCK would allow the boost to be turned up on the stock turbo.

On a second note, I believe the problem with the boost being cut is the top mount intercooler. I have yet to see a top mount intercooler that doesn't run into problems with detonation. Look at the top mount on Subaru's, even in stock trim on a hot day the ECU pulls out timing and cuts boost because the intercooler gets heat soaked and the intake temps skyrocket. Turbo magazine did a test on the stock intercooler (they did a whole build up of the STI) and found it to be completely heat soaked after just 2 runs on the dyno. This is with the STI's huge bird-swallowing hood scoop as well. All the MSP6 has is the two small inlets at the front of the hood. So, Im willing to bet that a water injection kit would alleviate the problem if you dont want to pony up the big bucks for a custom front mount job. At the very least plumb a windshield washer hose over to the intercooler and put a nozzle on it. This is another trick Subaru's use to keep the intercooler from getting heat soaked. This wouldn't void any warranty, and would cost like 15$ from any autoparts store. My 2 cents have turned into a rant, thanks for reading lol.

That washer fluid hose sounds like a neat trick...... not sure if I would want to be wasting washer fluid on my intercooler though...... lol.... would have to fab up some other device and a separate reservoir for water......but none the less sounds good (or you can buy one of those CO2 kits from protegegarage.com that will keep it cool and you should be able to re-use it in the event you switch to a FMIC?)

Back