Mazdaspeed Potential Problems??????????

bigcc63

:
2003 SPICY MSP
I have had a firebird ever since I started driving. Now for the past few years I seem to have been sucked into TUNER scene. I have always wanted a MSP since they came out in 2002. And I have been visiting this site quite often to see whats going on and read the boards. Now since I have graduated school and got a real job, I want a new car. I am now in the market for a used Orange MSP. I like the car and I know a lot about it, so I know by having one 'it wouldn't be a waste of a car',Right. I guess what I am asking is MAZDA a good car and is the MSP a good car. I have this firebird and it has caused me so many problems and cost me so much money in repairs. That's not going to happen if I buy a MSP right. I know that a used car is risky cause I don't know how the previous owner handled it.
Does the MSP cause any problems to anyone?
Is it worth it to BUY one?
I guess I am trying to be convinced to buy it!?!?!?
Thanks for the help....................

If your firebird was THAT plagued with problems, the MSP should treat you better. But dont expect it to be perfect...

My advice, buy an EVO ;)

I think for a daily driver (not beat on all the time, a few mods) it can be a very reliable sporty car. But, if you drag race this is not the best choice, though some people are putting out some good numbers, you just may be better off with something else.

Hope it helps, btw Ive only had the bushing problem and a stress fracture in my windshield.

Shaun (canada)

the msp has a lot of quirks, i wouldn't necessarily call them problems. some people can live w/ them, some people can't. most of the things can be fixed easily or by the dealer. the only thing i would consider a problem would be the "hessitation" but that can be fixed w/ a air/fuel controller.

If you had been reading the boards for some time, as you state below, you might've seen the following thread. If not, you should consider reading it:

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50549

Ben

bigcc63 said:
I have had a firebird ever since I started driving. Now for the past few years I seem to have been sucked into TUNER scene. I have always wanted a MSP since they came out in 2002. And I have been visiting this site quite often to see whats going on and read the boards. Now since I have graduated school and got a real job, I want a new car. I am now in the market for a used Orange MSP. I like the car and I know a lot about it, so I know by having one 'it wouldn't be a waste of a car',Right. I guess what I am asking is MAZDA a good car and is the MSP a good car. I have this firebird and it has caused me so many problems and cost me so much money in repairs. That's not going to happen if I buy a MSP right. I know that a used car is risky cause I don't know how the previous owner handled it.
Does the MSP cause any problems to anyone?
Is it worth it to BUY one?
I guess I am trying to be convinced to buy it!?!?!?
Thanks for the help....................

IMO they are great cars, but should have had a "handle with care" sticker on it. I think a great comparison for the car is an integra type-r, however the car beats it in handling and speed. With a few cheap mods you can go mid 14s which isnt anything crazy, but still makes for a great driving experience. If i were you i would not rush into anything and take your time to find a good condition msp. A SMIC, afc and exhaust is all I would do if you are not looking to dragrace.

I wanted different opinions these are great so far and I'll look into that other thread, thanks for the help............

If you decide that you want one, I just happen to have a Spicy Orange and I'm in the area (near DFW)......

Merv

I really like my MSP. It's the world's greatest daily driver for the buck! You can't get anything like this with a warranty for under $15k. Maybe a suburu for $20 used?

I wish I had a chance to buy this kind of car when I got out of college. I had to settle for a used Miata to get my sporty fix. Go drive one and you'll see why the MSP is very cool for the $$.

Back