Mazdaspeed 3

Airman Jack said:
edit: I know 900hp is not coming from a STOCK engine, but how much of the original engine remains once it's developing that kind of power? (smash)

Probably just the valve cover. ;)

anthreadpologist <-- bad pun

(jacked)

Discussion moved from the possibilities of turbo-aspiration on a theoretical mazdaspeed3 to impressive feats of aspiration in general.

but that's what reading scrollback is for...

Yeah, I figured out scrollback when I graduated out of 5th grade... (monkey2)

I should have added tags to my post....
HTML:
<sarcasm> </sarcasm>

Last edited:
come on people, it will never be 240hp. Think about it, who would buy the 237hp RX-8 when they can get a 240hp AWD Mazda3 for less $$$. And I doubt Mazda would ever wants to enter the sector of the STI and EVO.

zoomzoom02 said:
I picked up a paper at the mazda dealership the other day, and it said that there may be a 240 hp and it should be AWD. if not it will be 200 hp. And it will be out spring of 05!!!! I searched for this and it is impossible to search for because i cant search for "3". Anyways i was happy with my finding
Sounds a little LIMP...(notcool)

I doubt that Mazda could come out with anything sporty/quick other than the RX series or the MSM. Oh Well, I anxiously await the next big thing!!! The MSM is UBER COOL but needs more. I want MAZDA to take Sport Compact more like Mitz has taken the EVO series...

OceanPark said:
come on people, it will never be 240hp. Think about it, who would buy the 237hp RX-8 when they can get a 240hp AWD Mazda3 for less $$$. And I doubt Mazda would ever wants to enter the sector of the STI and EVO.

I am not so sure of that. After movies like "The fast and the frivolous", it's obvious that there is a huge market out there for the 18 to 34 male driver market. These guys want small, nimble cars that can be easily modified to suit individual styles and tastes. It's the same reason that the computer overclocking scene is dominated by males 18 to 34.

The interior and styling of the RX-8 are much more upscale than the Mazda3 and the RX-8 caters to a different market. Once the R&D for the Mazdaspeed RX-8 has been finished, I would not be suprised if you see higher output numbers from the RENESIS in the regular RX-8 in a few years.

Not everybody bases their buying decision on horsepower. If that were the case, every small compact car enthusiast would own a Dodge SRT-4, not a Mazda3.

Gen1GT said:
Looks like it's time for school to begin.

Mazda has been in for racing for quite a long time, and you shouldn't underestimate their ability to produce serious race machine. Other than the rotories, there have been others.

There was the 86+ 323 GTX, with 130hp and AWD which WAS sold in North America(I just did an autotrader search, and there are 3 for sale in the States).

There was the Protege 4wd, which only sold very few and were mostly sold in the Northern States and Canada. One of my friends owned one.

There's the Protege(Familia) GTX from japan. AWD and 170hp from it's 1.8 BPT. (94hp/l)

Then there's the 323 GT-R from Japan, with 210hp and AWD. Once again, the BP 1.8 turbo. This car did 1/4 in the mid 13s stock. It was made for FIA rally competition, and they're super rare.

So if anyone thinks Mazda can't make a 2.0 AWD turbo with at least 240hp, they're very wrong......

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd LOVE to see Mazda get back into the rally scene....
No one said they can't do it, just that they won't. Those are some great examples, but they are all in other countries/limited quantities/YEARS ago. Bottom line is that Mazdaspeed cars only get about a 30% increase in power just like all of the other factory-tuned cars being produced.

doubt it matters that the demand is there, the rx8 is kindof its flaghsip hot car. and they won't show it up buy making a budget car with a higher hp.

sndsgood said:
doubt it matters that the demand is there, the rx8 is kindof its flaghsip hot car. and they won't show it up buy making a budget car with a higher hp.

They will if they do the same thing with the RX-8. Bump it up to... say... 350hp. I can't imagine how much gas that would suck but it's concievable. If they can equal a twin-turbo RX-7 with a N/A Renesis, then I'm sure a 50% jump on the Renesis is possible.

If they offer the MazdaSpeed RX-8 and 3 at the same time, there won't be any loss of market share for either

goldwing2000 said:
They will if they do the same thing with the RX-8. Bump it up to... say... 350hp. I can't imagine how much gas that would suck but it's concievable. If they can equal a twin-turbo RX-7 with a N/A Renesis, then I'm sure a 50% jump on the Renesis is possible.

If they offer the MazdaSpeed RX-8 and 3 at the same time, there won't be any loss of market share for either
You're right. Saying that RX8 buyers are going to cross-shop the Mazda3 is redicules. Does that mean Chyrsler Crossfire owners are going to buy the SRT-4 because it has more power? There's more to a car than power. The RX8 is one of the best handling cars every made, and it's rear wheel drive, not to mention upscale.

I'd love for Mazda to make the Mazdaspeed3 that powerful and why not? People who want a pretty quick car, with awesome handling can get the Mazda3 GT. It's almost as fast as the Mazdaspeed Protege, and has great handling right out of the box. So why would Mazda only made the Mazdaspeed a LITTLE BIT better than the regular version?

Even if they only pumped power that '30%' that was mentioned, it would still have almost 210.

I can only base my guesses about the mazdspeed 3 based on what Mazda has done so far. And that is a car with the entire package not just handling. At least, that's the excuse that they keep feeding everyone. The MSP should of have had 200hp, or 190 minimum. The Miata should have at the same min. 30 hp from a turbo is a joke, and while I love my car, I know this. According to what callaway had originally done, the msp was close to those hp #'s( higer psi/real pipes), and mazda f'd it up by changing everything they did. why? "reliability"? maybe, too risky...maybe,safety? predicting tuners to bump up the psi a little...maybe, Ford not wanting to outpower the SVT....MAYBE. Regardless, they missed their chance not once....but 2 times since the miata is imho another poor excuse of a turbo charged car. Heck, with the miata, they've already had tons of customers test turbo kits for them over the past 10+ yrs, so they knew they could get more hp then what they have now.

Bottom line is, they are out of excuses for me. With wrx's, na svt's, SRT's, GTI's, and a whole other bunch of acronyms :) out there making the same or more HP, mazda needs to STEP UP to the plate and deliver instead of coming up short AGAIN. Even more so after the lackluster launch of the MSP and it's plagued problems.

I love my car, but they really need to put more SPEED in MazdaSPEED or else their done for. Sadly, I too am predicting a 2.0l @ 200hp, FWD. I'm also predicting a price tag beyond that of anything sensible this time. If it is still cheap, then NO stereo this time around ( which I'd really miss) . I'd rather see an affordable 2.0 or 2.3l, ~220hp fwd, then an 240hp awd I can't afford anways.

don't get me wrong. I'm one of the few not hung up with HP #'s and a I think people hung up on 1/4 times need to grow up. But sadly,the genereal public, magazines, etc are hung up on numbers. Why else would the damn srt4 be beating the msp in road tests?

VW got 200 HP from a 2.0 without turbo on the Jetta GLI (Canada), so another 40 from a turbo is not really out of the question... But as some of you said, mazda is not likely to jump so much in power... at 240 you start competing with some rather large cars (Acuras, BMW etc) and it would be a car just waiting to get into accidents (for the inexperienced)... I'm hoping for 200-220, but even that may be a long shot

wait till Im done with this turbo set up and I will dyno it. im gonna dyno before and after , and post the dynos so everyone can see. Now this is a total custom turbo so it really wont be for sale anytime soon. But I will show numbers just to show you what a turbo will do. I am hoping around 200hp, and I will be fine with that.

You know what they say about AWD -

AWD is like having sex with a condom on, its safer, but it just doesnt feel as good.

**** AWD.

Gen1GT said:
Does that mean Chyrsler Crossfire owners are going to buy the SRT-4 because it has more power?
They won't have too...the SRT-6 is coming out soon & it will have a lot more power than the SRT-4.

Back